Gun Control 2022

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Usher
Usher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 07:23 For once, I think Del is right.
Not just for this once, you know.

There was that other time too.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Gun Control 2022

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 09:42
FredS wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 07:23 For once, I think Del is right.
Not just for this once, you know.

There was that other time too.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that other time.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Thunktank »

Del wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 06:50
Thunktank wrote: 04 Jun 2022, 14:47 It does appear that he did in fact talk about “high caliber.” 9mm. He also once suggested people use a shotgun for defense and “shoot ‘em in the leg.”

He apparently can’t fathom the fact that some things need killing. I also don’t believe he’ll get the support needed to outlaw 9mm. Good grief, is he trying to lose the next election? Even a lot of Democrats are scratching their heads on that comment of his.

Of what he has officially pushed for a few days ago are things I already live with here in CA. Safe storage, magazine capacity limits, assault weapons ban, background checks for all transactions through FFL and California department of justice. I still get to enjoy my guns and no enforcement agency is entering my home without a warrant. California gun laws are annoying at times and semi auto handgun choices are getting pretty slim here. Our assault weapons ban is basically a dress code for semi auto rifles.
My working theory is that Democrats don't care if they lose elections. Their goal is to press their policies as hard and far as they can. Then lose elections if they must, keep pressing with noise and chaos until they win again, and then press as hard and far as they can. They don't care about elections -- they don't have to win to keep pushing the Overton Window.

They are pushing gun control just now because that is the current Window with the least amount of resistance. They have pushed their racism and LGBT issues as far as they can for now. Parents and families are starting to lean in and push back.
The Democratic party, just like the Republican party has goals that they know must be supported by enough voters. And just like the Republican party, the Democratic party often concentrates it’s efforts with their more radical base.

We are pushing gun control because the misuse of guns has become a serious public safety hazard. I’m a gun owner and regular gun user. I’ve had enough of certain types of gun culture today. I don’t care one bit if I get trolled by the vocal minority of Republican gun owners who are a monolithic bunch of conspiracy theorists trained by the gun lobby in the last three decades. The fear driven propaganda they peddle about how Democrats will take away all of our guns among all sorts of other charges. I used to be a member of the NRA, I know so many, like my Dad who still are. A lot to of good folks who have become indoctrinated by the lobby backed by companies who need to sell more guns. Fundamentally, more guns for conspiracy theories or schools for that matter is the wrong answer. I stand by my belief that Planned Parenthood and the NRA are both fundamentally corrupt within their own sphere of influence. Both indirectly benefit and profit off the pain of others today. Both organizations do good things too, but there’s rot at the core these days. Lobby reform is desperately needed.

In fact, the greatest danger to responsible gun culture are the 2nd Amendment activists who make such a pest of themselves that the non gun owning public lumps us (guns owners) all into a bin of stupid unthoughtful morons, then won’t listen to anyone who owns guns, even those who use firearms for good purposes and do so as responsibly as possible.

As far a families leaning a pushing back. Depends upon where you’re at I suppose. I fail to see a problem here on the left coast. My family is doing well. Of course our perspective helps with that. Things aren’t perfect, but they are good. As for guns, we have more gun control than any other state. Yet I can still legally enjoy them and even use them for self defense and defense of my home. Most Californians are fine with that.
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Thunktank »

FredS wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 07:23 For once, I think Del is right. The D's don't care about the next election cycle. They move the needle to left when they have the power then shout from the sidelines when they don't. The R's don't completely recover the lost ground so we're inching further and further left. Two steps left, one step right.

I'm absolutely certain that firearms in the hands of citizens will be illegal in the US some day. It may take a hundred years, but incremental cuts and jabs will eventually get it done. Like eating an elephant.
And just how exactly have the Republicans taken steps left? Perhaps a penchant to spend money, but in all the wrong places perhaps. Lol!
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Thunktank »

Del wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 06:27
It is amazing to me that the Democrat Party is always the one on the wrong side of the natural law and natural rights. A large political party is supposed to be a coalition of good citizens seeking good policy for the common good. Somehow the Democrat party keeps getting taken over by elite special interests -- Slave-owners, union mobsters, abortion lobby, sexual deviants. It doesn't have to be like this.
You do know that Democrats have arguments for the common good, natural rights and all that too, right? Lol!

Or do think that no one else is paying attention?
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Gun Control 2022

Post by FredS »

Thunktank wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 11:04
FredS wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 07:23 For once, I think Del is right. The D's don't care about the next election cycle. They move the needle to left when they have the power then shout from the sidelines when they don't. The R's don't completely recover the lost ground so we're inching further and further left. Two steps left, one step right.

I'm absolutely certain that firearms in the hands of citizens will be illegal in the US some day. It may take a hundred years, but incremental cuts and jabs will eventually get it done. Like eating an elephant.
And just how exactly have the Republicans taken steps left? Perhaps a penchant to spend money, but in all the wrong places perhaps. Lol!
I've been misunderstood. D takes two steps left. From that new starting position, R takes one step right. Each cycle puts us one step further left.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Thunktank »

FredS wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 11:18

I've been misunderstood. D takes two steps left. From that new starting position, R takes one step right. Each cycle puts us one step further left.
Not in anyway I can see. :(

On the state level, things are progressing along somewhat, but we could use a good and healthy alternative party to keep the Democrats honest. But the Republicans are nothing but obstructionists today. They stand for denial of the serious problems we have and offer not a shred of hope for the future. At the federal level it’s too equally divided to get anything done and Republicans won’t find a third way in their pristine obstructionism. Two Democrats in particular have positively permitted the Republicans to continue their obstructions. I suspect it will continue with gun reforms too. I don’t expect anything but more mass shootings because the Republicans won’t allow anything of substance to get done.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Gun Control 2022

Post by FredS »

Thunktank wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 11:28
FredS wrote: 06 Jun 2022, 11:18
Not in anyway I can see. :(

On the state level, things are progressing along somewhat, but we could use a good and healthy alternative party to keep the Democrats honest. But the Republicans are nothing but obstructionists today. They stand for denial of the serious problems we have and offer not a shred of hope for the future. At the federal level it’s too equally divided to get anything done and Republicans won’t find a third way in their pristine obstructionism. Two Democrats in particular have positively permitted the Republicans to continue their obstructions. I suspect it will continue with gun reforms too. I don’t expect anything but more mass shootings because the Republicans won’t allow anything of substance to get done.
Do you really suppose Republicans - if they somehow wrenched control of the state from Democrats - could reverse the damage that liberals have done to California in the last 20 years? Now way! They could move things a little more towards the right, back towards the center, but they can't turn back all of the liberal policies that have wrecked thousands of lives in San Francisco and driven thousands of companies out of the state. Those horses have left the barn.

But, Californians have come to expect progressive policies regarding the environment and energy and human rights and Republicans would be foolish to try to walk those good policies back. Republicans would be stupid to close down shelters or end subsidies that rightly try to keep families off the streets. Or policies that push for more efficient vehicles. Or programs that respect and support immigrants. Even though they were dragged to their current place kicking and screaming, Republicans surely understand that even conservative Californians appreciate some of those progressive policies. That's what I mean when I say the pendulum won't swing all the way back to the right should Republicans come to power. In CA at least, I don't ever see that scale balancing out. It'll always be a little heavy on the left.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by tuttle »

Some thoughts that I had while reading:

-Most Republicans are only conservatives insofar as they conserve the latest liberal victories.

-Most Democrats are disqualified from having an opinion about dead kids.

-Most Californians are gay.

-Jesus really is the answer.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Gun Control 2022

Post by FredS »

Since we're far off the gun control rails anyway, I offer this clip from Bill Maher. Towards the end he discusses conservative and liberal political commercials. They show a bunch of ads where the candidates proudly and loudly state they're conservative. Then Maher points out that Democrats don't say they're liberal. "The implication is that you [Democrats] are embarrassed about what liberalism has become. That the term is now irredeemably coupled with woke nonsense." "It seems we've found the one thing liberals won't identify as - - - liberals."