New Bike Time

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

New Bike Time

Post by GaryInVA »

Congrats on the new bike! New bike day is always fun
Ride that thing everywhere. My brother is putting in 100 mile weekends on his ebike now.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

New Bike Time

Post by Thunktank »

My wife bought an e bike too.

Never bought insurance for bicycles before!

Reprogrammed it to better match my riding style. It’s a bit less aggressive at level one and two for low speed situations, at higher levels of 5-7 I can get a bit more top end speed or torque for straight aways and steep hills.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

New Bike Time

Post by coco »

When I was in Okinawa, it was fairly easy for me to live car-free. The grocery store and everything else you might need were close by. America, by contrast, is car-centric, with a great deal of distance between the places you need to go to regularly. An e-bike seems like a good choice if you want to cut down on car usage, which you might want to do if gas went to $15/gal. You know, next month. It extends range and makes you fast enough that trip time wouldn't be such a problem.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

New Bike Time

Post by Thunktank »

coco wrote: 08 Jun 2022, 18:00 When I was in Okinawa, it was fairly easy for me to live car-free. The grocery store and everything else you might need were close by. America, by contrast, is car-centric, with a great deal of distance between the places you need to go to regularly. An e-bike seems like a good choice if you want to cut down on car usage, which you might want to do if gas went to $15/gal. You know, next month. It extends range and makes you fast enough that trip time wouldn't be such a problem.
That’s a big part of why my wife and I are doing this too. Last month we spent hundreds on gas. 80 percent of that fuel usage was within eight miles of home. We also live in a very bike friendly area. Wide streets, lots of bike lanes, mostly flat, good weather year round. Drivers are used to sharing the road with bikes.

The e-bike negates many of the inconveniences non e-bikes have. The hills, sweating and headwinds are hugely negated on e-bikes. But still, the urge to be lazy, to sit in an air conditioned car with premium sound is hard to let go. Even though I personally prefer a good ride most days. Heck, it doesn’t even get hot and humid here along the So Cal coast. There’s really no good reason not ride an e-bike more than a car. It’s a good way to stay moving, happy and healthy.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

New Bike Time

Post by GaryInVA »

Thunktank wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 09:21 [Edited out really good reasons] There’s really no good reason not ride an e-bike more than a car. It’s a good way to stay moving, happy and healthy.
And, the best reason, it's a BICYCLE. Just sayin...

― Albert Einstein
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

New Bike Time

Post by Biff »

Couple of old coots (70 yr old) decided to ride across Canada to check one off their bucket list. They didn't get off the island. Tried to cross a merge-on-to-the-freeway lane and got smoked. Why, oh why, are cyclists so F$%$^&ing stupid. I used to commute on a bicycle. I was EXTREMELY wary of vehicular traffic. I saw the accident before EMS & Police arrived. They air-lifted said coot to the biggest hospital on the island. AFAIK, he's still alive but with 'serious' injuries. I hate cyclist attitudes. Get off the H#$%^ road if you can't respect cars & trucks. [\rant]

Just sayin'

p.s. Where's Jocose?
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

New Bike Time

Post by Thunktank »

GaryInVA wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 11:55
Thunktank wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 09:21 [Edited out really good reasons] There’s really no good reason not ride an e-bike more than a car. It’s a good way to stay moving, happy and healthy.
+1.23456
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

New Bike Time

Post by GaryInVA »

Thunktank wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 16:51
GaryInVA wrote: 09 Jun 2022, 11:55
+1.23456
N+1

― Albert Einstein