Packing

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general.
JudgeRusty
Sunday School Student

Packing

Post by JudgeRusty »

Del wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 11:38
joegoat wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 21:31 I might just be the cram and jam type. I've simply developed a feel for packing a pipe. Ribbon, cake, flake, coin, or whatever else just seems to be a feel. I don't overthink it. I just fill my pipe. I enjoy learning about the techniques of others and theory behind them though.
The only issue I have on occasion is a bit if tobacco falling perfectly over the draught hole or being sucked up the shank.
I am the same way. I don't overthink packing the pipe.

As I load my pipe, I am somewhat mindful that I don't want it to be too tight or too loose. Drop tobacco in, press it down just so. Top off with more tobacco. Press it down just so. Light it, tamp it flat, and light it again. Enjoy.

Pipeson notes that I like to frequently tamp and manage the tobacco and ash with my pipe nail. I don't know why; I just like fiddling with it.
Seems you (and others) would confirm the pack by feel. Some guides mention terms like "springy."

No one has mentioned trying the draw to test the pack. When they sell a beginner a pipe at Milans, they teach the 3 step pack and instruct to test the draw to confirm proper pack ("like breathing through a small straw"). But wouldn't breathing through an empty pipe be the same as breathing through a really small (5/32") straw?

As to tamping after lighting, Rusty used to say only tamp ash, not tobacco, after the pipe is lit. I took this advice and it helped prevent bowls where the last 3rd resisted burning, but tamping is for another thread.
Del
Usher
Usher

Packing

Post by Del »

JudgeRusty wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 09:48
joegoat wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 21:31 I might just be the cram and jam type. I've simply developed a feel for packing a pipe. Ribbon, cake, flake, coin, or whatever else just seems to be a feel. I don't overthink it. I just fill my pipe. I enjoy learning about the techniques of others and theory behind them though.
The only issue I have on occasion is a bit if tobacco falling perfectly over the draught hole or being sucked up the shank.

As I load my pipe, I am somewhat mindful that I don't want it to be too tight or too loose. Drop tobacco in, press it down just so. Top off with more tobacco. Press it down just so. Light it, tamp it flat, and light it again. Enjoy.

Pipeson notes that I like to frequently tamp and manage the tobacco and ash with my pipe nail. I don't know why; I just like fiddling with it.
Seems you (and others) would confirm the pack by feel. Some guides mention terms like "springy."

No one has mentioned trying the draw to test the pack. When they sell a beginner a pipe at Milans, they teach the 3 step pack and instruct to test the draw to confirm proper pack ("like breathing through a small straw"). But wouldn't breathing through an empty pipe be the same as breathing through a really small (5/32") straw?
I once had the same thought. I tested the draw through an empty pipe and realized that it was the same as a properly packed pipe. So... good advice for newbies who are tempted to jam a pipe stuffed tight with tobacco. But it seems the draw test is not helpful for an experienced piper.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Packing

Post by joegoat »

Del wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 10:57
JudgeRusty wrote: 19 Jun 2022, 09:48

I once had the same thought. I tested the draw through an empty pipe and realized that it was the same as a properly packed pipe. So... good advice for newbies who are tempted to jam a pipe stuffed tight with tobacco. But it seems the draw test is not helpful for an experienced piper.
I do test draw my pipes to make sure I haven't gotten a bit of tobacco right in the draught hole. They should draw freely. I've heard they should draw like a milkshake. A very melted milkshake maybe, but definitely not a thick one. I do think over tamping is a harder noob habit to break than packing too tight.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)