A pipe tobacco question that has never been asked

Questions, Reviews, Storage, anything about `baccy
harkpuffy
Sunday School Student

Post by harkpuffy »

A very close friend asked me a question that I said I would research for him.
Being an avid fan of the pipe and aromatic tobaccos, he had been advised to give up the pipe due to the fact he has a long family history of facial cancer and has already had the experience of minor cancer surgery done on his face. His pipe smoking was not directly determined as the cause, but the surgeon suspects that it could be due to my friend's family cancer history.

With this introduction, this leads to my question.

My friend stated that he has always been attracted to the aromatics for the sole reason of the room note aroma and the actual flavor, taste or nicotine aspects had never been issues for him. To him, there is nothing more heavenly than the room note of his favorite Captain Black White blend. The flavor of Captain Black he only tolerated simply because he valued the aroma over and above any aromatic he had ever experienced.
Since he has been directed away from pipe smoking all together, his personal choice of what he smoked is not the main concern of this post.

The other day, I was doing some yard work for my dad. It was a beautiful breezy day and as I worked, I kept sensing the unmistakable aroma of Captain Black White coming from somewhere in the area. I continued to enjoy the benefit of someone's pipe aroma for the remainder of the afternoon and when I left my dad's place, I finally discovered the source. As I drove away, three houses down the street, was an elderly many working in his driveway at some sawhorses with a pipe in his mouth and he was directly down wind of where I was working earlier on. I thought it amazing that the wonderful aroma of his pipe would bless the neighborhood from that far away and it caused me to think of my friend that I mentioned in the beginning of my post.

This experience caused me to wonder if there is some way to help my friend:
Is there some way my friend could enjoy his favorite tobacco aroma without actually physically smoking or coming into contact with the pipe? For example, when sitting on his patio, is there a way to burn at a slow smolder a container of his chosen tobacco in such a way that it would slowly smolder and give off its aroma in a controlled manner? If someone could devise a method of doing this, it would be yet another method of providing a way for people to enjoy their favorite tobacco scents in a safer way medically and at the same time allow them the pleasure of the aroma.

I realize to most this may sound crazy, but for those like my friend, it could benefit the reality of his personal life. I suppose it is no crazier than most households using natural essential oils to add pleasant scents to their homes. If this can be done, then why not something similar with aromatic pipe tobaccos?

Looking forward to your thoughts,

Harkpuffy (formerly Harkpuff, a long time CPS member)
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

This reminds me of a Ray WYlie Hubbard song:
"I didn't use the cocaine to get high, I just liked the way it smelled"

There are tobacco and pipe tobacco incense on the market. Google it. No idea how they actually smell.

A friend of Mrs FredS has a giftshop in town. She sent this "Warm Pipe" scented candle home with her a while ago. It smells OK, but not really like pipe tobacco to me.
https://www.amazon.com/DW-Home-Medium-S ... 3609&psc=1
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Just tagging on to what Fred already said, I've tapped a half-smoked pipe-full still lit into an ash tray and then enjoyed the room note of the burning pile of tobacco, as though it was incense. So there's that possible option, tweaked or modified as needed.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

I had a co-worker (retired now) who kept asking me to come smoke my pipe at his house, because his dad had been a pipe smoker and he missed the smell. I did once, but his wife objected, so it never happened again.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

Burn it like incense?
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by tuttle »

Have him hire you to smoke around him.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
JudgeRusty
Sunday School Student

Post by JudgeRusty »

Calls for some experimentation.

Hotplate/Single burner Coleman stove.
Tiny iron skillet.

It might work.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

sweetandsour wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 12:58 Just tagging on to what Fred already said, I've tapped a half-smoked pipe-full still lit into an ash tray and then enjoyed the room note of the burning pile of tobacco, as though it was incense. So there's that possible option, tweaked or modified as needed.
A pile of smoldering tobacco kept lit by a fan 2-3 yards away might work quite well.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

CPS Meet-Up at Harkpuff's friend's house!
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
harkpuffy
Sunday School Student

Post by harkpuffy »

Thanks for the great replies.
Someone mentioned some experimentation ideas and I'm mulling over some experimental ideas myself.
In order for this to work there would need to be some air movement in order to keep the smolder going.
I have tried just piling pinches of tobacco on top of a small coal but it tends to burn too fast which would
cause one to burn through a lot of tobacco in a hurry.
Someone mentioned burning like incense. I'm going to try just laying it in the bottom of one of those hot wax melt infuser
kind of incense burners and see how that works. The heat source for those is just a hot light bulb. It might get hot enough
to slowly release the aromatic properties of the tobacco. It might possibly help the process by submerging the tobacco in a
light neutral oil of some kind.
Worth a try I guess.
If some kind of process is discovered that works well, this would be a great alternative for the wives that don't like having their
houses smoked up.
Pipe tobacco HAS actually been used as an air freshener. I recall a pipe smoker saying that anytime company comes to visit
his wife asks him to smoke a bowl of her favorite aroma before company arrives because she loves it so much.
If anybody comes up with a good idea that works, please let us know. :idea: