Stock Trading

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Stock Trading

Post by gaining_age »

With recession coming, I'm revisiting my "sin stocks" -to a degree- (not gambling but alcohol, etc.)... sad people splurge on vices.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

gaining_age wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 21:05 With recession coming, I'm revisiting my "sin stocks" -to a degree- (not gambling but alcohol, etc.)... sad people splurge on vices.
What are some of the corporations you're watching?
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
gaining_age
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Stock Trading

Post by gaining_age »

sweetandsour wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 07:38
gaining_age wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 21:05 With recession coming, I'm revisiting my "sin stocks" -to a degree- (not gambling but alcohol, etc.)... sad people splurge on vices.
I look through a few searches to learn about market cap and choices:

<wine as a search as an example>

https://www.vinovest.co/blog/wine-stocks

https://www.fool.com/investing/stock-ma ... ne-stocks/
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

gaining_age wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 14:28

Marijuana stocks zoomed in Jan 2021 just as Biden took office (reclaiming the great highs of the pre-covid economy). They have fallen steadily since, as economic stress and social chaos have steadily increased. An ETF I watch (MJ) hit $34 when Biden was inaugurated. It's down to $6.5 today.

I don't know if Biden did that. Could be a coincidence. Maybe it has nothing to do with lawlessness and the flood of illegal weed.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 17:15
gaining_age wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 14:28

Marijuana stocks zoomed in Jan 2021 just as Biden took office (reclaiming the great highs of the pre-covid economy). They have fallen steadily since, as economic stress and social chaos have steadily increased. An ETF I watch (MJ) hit $34 when Biden was inaugurated. It's down to $6.5 today.

I don't know if Biden did that. Could be a coincidence. Maybe it has nothing to do with lawlessness and the flood of illegal weed.

MSOS is down to 12, from 25, where it was 6-months ago. (Interestingly, MSO, (Martha Stewart), has almost the same 6-month chart, from 25 down to 12.) Personally I'd stay away from the Cannabis related ETFs.

But Diageo (DEO) is interesting, with bars and pubs re-opening, etc etc, at least some analysts expected it to climb back above 200, which it appears to be doing. DEO may have been a good buy at 167, or even 175; it's at 183 now.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

I'm slowly learning, about support and resistance, and drawing lines through the candlesticks. I should have sold my NVDA yesterday at 171, that I bought at 156. I put a limit sell order in this morning, but too late. Hopefully it won't drop too far before the next rebound. If I'd sold at even 170, I could buy it again in the 150s. I'd really like it to reach the 190s again and I'd sell all the shares and break even.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 10:35 I'm slowly learning, about support and resistance, and drawing lines through the candlesticks. I should have sold my NVDA yesterday at 171, that I bought at 156. I put a limit sell order in this morning, but too late. Hopefully it won't drop too far before the next rebound. If I'd sold at even 170, I could buy it again in the 150s. I'd really like it to reach the 190s again and I'd sell all the shares and break even.
Seeing support, resistance, and trading channels are essential skills for technical analysis. (Japanese samurai invented the candle charts to tease this information out of rice markets.)

We are still in a bear market. The overall trend is still DOWN.

If a trader doesn't want to sell short or anything exotic, we can still buy on dips and sell on the upswings. But this means holding for a week or so and setting short targets.

NVDA is trading at support now, $154. If a guy sells it when it hits 164, that's still 6.5% return in a week or so. But don't buy today.

On Thursday morning, the latest news on inflation and unemployment will be released. The market could react strongly, and most likely drop below support. Market is already dropping today, in anticipation of bad news.

https://www.forexfactory.com/calendar
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 08:26
sweetandsour wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 10:35 I'm slowly learning, about support and resistance, and drawing lines through the candlesticks. I should have sold my NVDA yesterday at 171, that I bought at 156. I put a limit sell order in this morning, but too late. Hopefully it won't drop too far before the next rebound. If I'd sold at even 170, I could buy it again in the 150s. I'd really like it to reach the 190s again and I'd sell all the shares and break even.
Seeing support, resistance, and trading channels are essential skills for technical analysis. (Japanese samurai invented the candle charts to tease this information out of rice markets.)

If a trader doesn't want to sell short or anything exotic, we can still buy on dips and sell on the upswings. But this means holding for a week or so and setting short targets.

NVDA is trading at support now, $154. If a guy sells it when it hits 164, that's still 6.5% return in a week or so. But don't buy today.

On Thursday morning, the latest news on inflation and unemployment will be released. The market could react strongly, and most likely drop below support. Market is already dropping today, in anticipation of bad news.

Yeah I'm learning lessons the hard way, but at least it's costing me hundreds, not thousands, at the moment. I signed up for an options 101 webinar this morning but got too busy and missed it. There'll be another.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 09:49
Del wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 08:26

Yeah I'm learning lessons the hard way, but at least it's costing me hundreds, not thousands, at the moment. I signed up for an options 101 webinar this morning but got too busy and missed it. There'll be another.
Options can give you some more opportunities.

For example, a guy doesn't want to sell short because it just upsets his equilibrium. But the market looks like it's going down.
So.... he buys a put option. Long Puts increase in value when the market drops. He can sell his put at a higher value, and feel all right because he bought a thing at a low price and sold it at a higher price. YAY!

Options are a whole lot cheaper than stocks. A guy can make as much money without having to put down as much cash.
But options are complicated, so adequate education is necessary. Schwab won't even let you trade options until you swear to them that you know what you are doing.

Let's talk when you get your basic coursework under your belt.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

Copper keeps gapping down. I've lost close to 20% on my position.

This looks very bad for the world economy, as a whole. It looks like the world is shutting down plans for construction of homes and buildings and factories for a while.