Son1 Athlete

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Usher
Usher

Son1 Athlete

Post by Del »

Thunktank wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 17:01
Del wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 16:49 I'm super-proud for you and your son!

A couple of questions: I don't know anything about CrossFit or anyone who does it. It's a pro-sport? Do colleges have scholarships for this?

Colleges used to be keen to bring on kids who show discipline and excellence in any sort of endeavor. Why doesn't he have competitive offers from several elite schools?
I have trouble determining if you are asking a question or or being somewhat combative about whatever it is you’re asking about. It looks like what you’re asking is, “if your son is so great, why doesn’t he have a scholarship?
I'm not being combative. My question was more like, "Your son is great! Why hasn't anyone given him a scholarship?" And I'm blaming the schools for failing to see talent. (Considering the things that do get scholarships and grants and lots of attention, excellence has fallen out of style.)

Of course, I was assuming that CrossFit is an obscure mainstream sport that colleges lend scholarship too.... like rowing crew or something.

But it makes more sense, now that you explain it. Colleges don't give scholarships for a lot of popular California-style money-sports, like skateboarding or UFC.

CrossFit sure sounds like it should be a legit college sport, though.
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Son1 Athlete

Post by Thunktank »

Del wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 19:10
Thunktank wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 17:01
Del wrote: 03 Jul 2022, 16:49 I'm super-proud for you and your son!

A couple of questions: I don't know anything about CrossFit or anyone who does it. It's a pro-sport? Do colleges have scholarships for this?

Colleges used to be keen to bring on kids who show discipline and excellence in any sort of endeavor. Why doesn't he have competitive offers from several elite schools?
I have trouble determining if you are asking a question or or being somewhat combative about whatever it is you’re asking about. It looks like what you’re asking is, “if your son is so great, why doesn’t he have a scholarship?
I'm not being combative. My question was more like, "Your son is great! Why hasn't anyone given him a scholarship?" And I'm blaming the schools for failing to see talent. (Considering the things that do get scholarships and grants and lots of attention, excellence has fallen out of style.)

Of course, I was assuming that CrossFit is an obscure mainstream sport that colleges lend scholarship too.... like rowing crew or something.

But it makes more sense, now that you explain it. Colleges don't give scholarships for a lot of popular California-style money-sports, like skateboarding or UFC.

CrossFit sure sounds like it should be a legit college sport, though.
Oh ok, thanks for the explanation. Just wasn’t sure. My son and I had a few chats about team sports, scholarships and cost of college.

The center of the CrossFit culture currently seems to be the Southeast followed by the Midwest. The west coast has a lot of “CrossFit” gyms, and they are, but usually aren’t as competitive per capita as the two regions. Though we have a few.

CrossFit isn’t ever going to be a big spectator sport, and never going to be a major money maker. It’s more niche than that.
Del
Usher
Usher

Son1 Athlete

Post by Del »

Thunktank wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 20:06 CrossFit isn’t ever going to be a big spectator sport, and never going to be a major money maker. It’s more niche than that.
That's what I thought about MMA when it broke onto the scene.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Son1 Athlete

Post by FredS »

He should set aside the athletics and take up video games. That's where the big money scholarships are today. Or drone racing.

Seriously, I'm sure you've talked to him about taking up one of the more traditional sports for his last year or two of high school if he wants to position himself as an athletic scholarship candidate. I also know that young men and women do what they're gonna do and it's sometimes like beating your head against the wall trying to guide them - especially if you're trying to guide them away from their passions.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Son1 Athlete

Post by Thunktank »

FredS wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 07:15 He should set aside the athletics and take up video games. That's where the big money scholarships are today. Or drone racing.
I have high hopes for son2 in those departments. Son1 isn’t sure what video games are, he would probably mash and break the hardware in short order if he tried. In all truth, we have attempted to play video games with him. He isn’t impressed.
Seriously, I'm sure you've talked to him about taking up one of the more traditional sports for his last year or two of high school if he wants to position himself as an athletic scholarship candidate. I also know that young men and women do what they're gonna do and it's sometimes like beating your head against the wall trying to guide them - especially if you're trying to guide them away from their passions.
Yes, I really tried to convince him. I also told him that I have a financial assistance cap to help him. I think we’re almost ready to settle on a university for him, Washington State University. But he had to turn down a private east coast university he really wanted. However, his passion got him where he is and he’s happy with that and we’re proud of him. I too would do again a choice I made against my parents wishes. I get it.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Son1 Athlete

Post by FredS »

Thunktank wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 09:21 . . . However, his passion got him where he is and he’s happy with that and we’re proud of him. I too would do again a choice I made against my parents wishes. I get it.
If you can't follow your passion when you're an unencumbered young man, when can you?

There's a pretty good rock climbing scene where I live. Mostly 20something kids living in vans or school buses. Climb by day, was dishes by night. They wear the nickname "Dirtbag" with pride. There are a few who pop in to church every now and then in the winter. Mostly for coffee and a warm seat. They're mostly good kids living the dream. Before the world beats them down and they get a 9 to 5.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson