Plain ole tobacco...

Questions, Reviews, Storage, anything about `baccy
Del
Usher
Usher

Plain ole tobacco...

Post by Del »

jmg wrote: 24 Jul 2022, 19:52
MrPiper wrote: 22 Jul 2022, 17:57 Am I the only person on earth who absolutely could NEVER enjoy Red Virginias? Every bowl I have ever smoked with a component of RV has given me a terrible headache. I gave the best and last of mine to Coco quite a while back and his head seems fine?

In other news, Del I think we should move your post to the prayer request thread. I pray the LORD restore you to robust health and with the fullness of your senses to enjoy the bounty He provides.
I like reds alright. However, it's probably the only tobacco that I can notice any measurable change in as it ages. I'm sure saying, "I don't notice much change in tobaccos with age" is probably akin to me being "redneck trash" in the pipe world, but it is what it is. Red VAs, however, really seem to mellow over time. When they are fresh they seem to have a ton of tangyness...sometimes too much for my taste.
When I was a young smoker, I tried some fresh bright virginias -- aptly described as "orange" and "lemon," the colors of tobacco that haven't been aged or steamed down to "red" -- and for the rest of the day my tongue felt it was on a roller coaster ride. It was an amazing physiological reaction. "Tangy" doesn't begin to describe it.

Fresh bright and red virginia is full of fruity citrus/sour flavors. Almost candy-like. Great for the grown-up who enjoyed lemon heads and sour-patch gummies as a kid.

The sugars in light virginias encourage fermentation in a tin, creating a magic of its own. The sharp tang is muted, and mature flavors develop. The most memorable smoke I ever enjoyed was a 40-year-old tin of Mac Baren Norwood that Pepik opened for us at Chicago. Pipeson still mentions it too.

Burley is low in natural sugar and doesn't age much. And aromatic-toppings tend to lose their flavor if they get old, like a half-bottle of white wine that's been in the fridge too long. (I read that somewhere. Probably here.)