Oatmeal

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Oatmeal

Post by joegoat »

Quick, steel cut, rolled oats, original? How do you take it?

I like original oats. I follow the ratio of oats to water on the cylinder and microwave it for 5 minutes. I need to stop it a couple times toward the end to stir so that it doesn't bubble over. I add some brown sugar and maybe raisins. Perfection!
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Oatmeal

Post by sweetandsour »

We eat lots of oatmeal at our house, it's a staple. Mostly old fashioned 5 minute cooked stovetop, served with butter, cinnamon and blueberries. Occasionally steel cut, stovetop, served the same way. Almonds and raisins go in also when available, and with a handle such as wheat or bagel toast, or sometimes a biscuit. And sometimes I'll make oatmeal pancakes, to go with butter and either honey or Steen's cane syrup.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Oatmeal

Post by Hugo Drax »

I spent hours staring at the oatmeal bowl when I was a child. You can have mine, boys, and welcome to it!
Weenies are us.
Del
Usher
Usher

Oatmeal

Post by Del »

I don't like steel-cut oats much. It's a texture thing.

I looked around the internet a bit.... turns out that "original" and "old-fashioned" and "rolled oats" are marketing names for the same processed oats. Oat berries are steamed and rolled out flat. Definitely my favorite.

Also the very best topping for good, old-fashioned School Lunch Apple Crisp.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Oatmeal

Post by sweetandsour »

Hugo Drax wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 06:24 I spent hours staring at the oatmeal bowl when I was a child. You can have mine, boys, and welcome to it!
Thanks, I'll take it.

Not to hijack the thread, but speaking of breakfast cereals, I questioned Grape Nuts long before Seinfeld did; probably before he was born, even. "There's no grapes, there's no nuts. What's the deal?" My mom usually had an answer for everything, but I can't remember what she had to say to my questions about Grape Nuts.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hugo Drax

Oatmeal

Post by Hugo Drax »

sweetandsour wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 07:31
Hugo Drax wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 06:24 I spent hours staring at the oatmeal bowl when I was a child. You can have mine, boys, and welcome to it!
Thanks, I'll take it.

Not to hijack the thread, but speaking of breakfast cereals, I questioned Grape Nuts long before Seinfeld did; probably before he was born, even. "There's no grapes, there's no nuts. What's the deal?" My mom usually had an answer for everything, but I can't remember what she had to say to my questions about Grape Nuts.
Well, if she was anything like my maman, you ended up eating it regardless of personal inclinations. Oatmeal was a bugbear for me. I like oatcakes and all other forms of oats, but I could never get over the texture of oatmeal.

I should probably try it again. Tripe tried to kill me as a kid and now I'd happily kill for it. Who knows?
Weenies are us.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Oatmeal

Post by Bloodhound »

I like the Steel Cut and the Old Fashioned best. I don't eat a lot of it, but it is good and I love oats in almost anything. We have almost done away with regular breads and most of our bread intake is Oat based breads.'

Oatmeal for me is a comfort food.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Oatmeal

Post by JimVH »

joegoat wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 21:42 Quick, steel cut, rolled oats, original? How do you take it?
I have yet to meet a form of oatmeal I didn't like. Steel cut would be my favorite, if I had to choose.

Savory or sweet, plain or fancy, I care not.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Oatmeal

Post by GaryInVA »

Steel cut, pecans, raisins, cinnamon, and some stevia. Add a bit of milk after cooking. Mmmm
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Oatmeal

Post by Bloodhound »

My wife had 2 opened packs of Quaker Oats, the Old Fashioned and the Quick Oats. The Old fashioned were almost 1/2 again bigger than the Quick Oats. I didn't have access to the Rolled Oats, but I'm betting they are the same as the Old Fashioned as Del said.

I had some oat meal last night. I like it on the under cooked side. I think that is why as a kid I was not that interested in oatmeal.

I take the amount of oats I want, and leave them in a measuring cup. I then warm some milk to almost boiling and then pull it from the heat and pour in the oats, little brown sugar and some walnuts or pecans and enjoy...maybe some cold milk if its too thick...but I do not "Cook" the oats like grits... It is a better mouth feel and it allows for more flavor to come out as you enjoy.

Meanwhile my wife like to cook oats all the way down in water and then put the pan on the back of the stove and let cool and then she eats the oatmeal after its set up and cold... :hand: ...Please pray for her
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD