How to deal with non smokers

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Ether
Sunday School Student

Post by Ether »

My wife gifted me this absolutely cool can of cigars.
14652_43048_82746.jpg
14652_43048_82746.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 708 times
Currently we are on vacation with a few other Christian families. Outside the house there is a big patio. In the evening me and Mrs Ether went outside to drink beer and watch the stars. I lit up a cigar.

On the other table, about 20 feet away, some older lady asked in a rather rude manner if I planned to smoke here. I told her that I wouldn't come anywhere near her. She said she can't have it and left immediately without even giving any chance to talk or resolve the situation otherwise.

Never happened to me before and I wasn't prepared to cause such a strong reaction given the fact, that it happened outdoors :think:
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Did she put on a covid mask as she huffed off?

Seems like she might be the type.

And.... Welcome back!
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

Oh, yes. Not uncommon at all. I once had a man tell me he wished I got cancer. I had a woman tell me to put out my pipe in my own tobacco shop.

Remember, St Paul told us to get along with all men so far as it is possible. The absurd should be dealt with in an absurd manner.
Weenies are us.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Post by jmg »

Hugo Drax wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 15:07 Oh, yes. Not uncommon at all. I once had a man tell me he wished I got cancer. I had a woman tell me to put out my pipe in my own tobacco shop.

Remember, St Paul told us to get along with all men so far as it is possible. The absurd should be dealt with in an absurd manner.
Hold the phone...a lady came into a pipe shop, then proceeded to tell you to put your pipe out?
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

I once had a neighbor threaten to sue me if my cigar smoke crossed the street onto his property.

He was a real peach.

I usually deal with them with silence. Nothing makes them uncomfortable enough to leave me alone any quicker.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Hugo Drax

Post by Hugo Drax »

jmg wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 18:26
Hugo Drax wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 15:07 Oh, yes. Not uncommon at all. I once had a man tell me he wished I got cancer. I had a woman tell me to put out my pipe in my own tobacco shop.

Hold the phone...a lady came into a pipe shop, then proceeded to tell you to put your pipe out?
Well, to be fair, she said "Could you not smoke that pipe?". I obliged and lit a different pipe. She laughed and bought her husband a box of cigars.

We threw a party a few years ago at our house for parents and kids. One of the mothers asked me not to smoke in front of her kids. I handed her a goodie bag for her child and thanked her for coming and she immediately apologized for becoming "that person." Nice lady, in fact. A lot of folks are so used to being their own highest authority that they actually appreciate learning others aren't terribly impressed.

I didn't try that on the guy who wanted me to die of cancer. You could smell the demons in that fellow.
Weenies are us.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

Hugo Drax wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 19:58 I didn't try that on the guy who wanted me to die of cancer. You could smell the demons in that fellow.
Sulfur. It's always a dead give-away.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

If I had moved to an out of the way place to be alone, smoke, and not bother anyone, I'd tell them to leave or learn to tolerate it. If I join a group of people, I ask if they mind if I smoke. If any are opposed, I move to the out of the way place to be alone.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Not too long ago a fellow golfer that I was sharing a cart with asked me to please not smoke. I had a pretty good cigar going, and was having a decent game, too. What a let down.

Another time years ago after work I was with some co-workers sitting at an outside table at Bull & Bear Tavern on Westheimer in Houston, and a couple of us were smoking our pipes. It was a windy day, and every time the door opened I guess some of the smoke drifted inside. The waitress was very polite, and said that folks inside were complaining. She asked us to either stop smoking, or else move to a table located in a different area.
"We don't blame you", I assured her. "We aren't smoking aromatics today, just tobacco that's heavy with latakia."
"I like it", she replied. "The smell reminds me of my grandfather".
"Oh that's a classic line", I said as we moved to a different table.

Actually she was very nice. But we were very disappointed in the complaining customers inside.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Ether
Sunday School Student

Post by Ether »

Del wrote: 14 Aug 2022, 14:59 Did she put on a covid mask as she huffed off?

Seems like she might be the type.

And.... Welcome back!
Hi Del, glad to see you!

No mask, but judging from the general group vibes, she could also come from the other pole of the craziness spectrum ;) It's high season for fanatics of any kind!