Why would anyone vote for Donald Trump?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

mcommini wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 10:49 Wait, that would imply that there are people in the Midwest that don't live in Chicago (a truly traditional city, the cemeteries have been voting there since Lincoln won his primary) or Detroit. That doesn't sound right. It's just a bunch of cows until you hit St Paul, right? Cows and Green Bay fans, who I'm pretty sure aren't legally entitled to vote....

Edit: tablet typing got wonky for a second, deleted a redundant word
Are you thus implying that cows in Wisconsin vote Republican the way that dead people in Chicago vote Democrat?

Plausible, but probably not. Yes -- we do have more cows than people in Wisconsin.
On the other hand, Republicans aren't ambitious enough to register cows to vote.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

Del wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:26
mcommini wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 10:49 Wait, that would imply that there are people in the Midwest that don't live in Chicago (a truly traditional city, the cemeteries have been voting there since Lincoln won his primary) or Detroit. That doesn't sound right. It's just a bunch of cows until you hit St Paul, right? Cows and Green Bay fans, who I'm pretty sure aren't legally entitled to vote....

Edit: tablet typing got wonky for a second, deleted a redundant word
Are you thus implying that cows in Wisconsin vote Republican the way that dead people in Chicago vote Democrat?

Plausible, but probably not. Yes -- we do have more cows than people in Wisconsin.
On the other hand, Republicans aren't ambitious enough to register cows to vote.
Probably a good policy. You register the cows, the pigs want a voice, next thing you know, it's Animal Farm.
Pepik's Ghost
Sunday School Student

Post by Pepik's Ghost »

tuttle wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 05:12
Hugo Drax wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 05:02 I miss Uncle Bob.
I don't

EDIT: Let me amend that. I do miss the pre-woke Uncle Bob. That guy was cool and interesting.
Uncle Bob never stole the nuclear launch codes and showed 'em to Kid Rock. So.... he's got that going for him.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by tuttle »

Pepik's Ghost wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 22:25
tuttle wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 05:12
Hugo Drax wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 05:02 I miss Uncle Bob.
I don't

EDIT: Let me amend that. I do miss the pre-woke Uncle Bob. That guy was cool and interesting.
Uncle Bob never stole the nuclear launch codes and showed 'em to Kid Rock. So.... he's got that going for him.

Be a lot cooler if he did

"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 06:07
sweetandsour wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 04:27
Troubadour wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 03:26 I think Trump leveraging social media to reach a wider audience is the main factor in him winning in 2016.
Nope. Hillary won the popular vote. Trump needed Florida, and one of the Midwest states (I can't immediately remember which one), to get past Hillary on electoral votes, and he narrowly got them. Hillary protested Florida briefly but then gave it up.

I think if the Dems would have run anyone else besides Hillary, then they'd have won the election. That's how Obama got nominated in the first place, too many on the DNC didn't want Hillary. But, they finally caved in 2016 and gave her the nod.

I suspected foul play in 2016, and I don't mean Russia. Trump and the Clintons were big buddies until the election.
Elections are big, complicated, complex things. We can all keep our pet opinions.

I've heard that Trump campaigned effectively on social media. I dunno, because I never met him there. But several pundits concur with Troubadour.

My pet opinion -- that Hillary lost her own election by being unelectable and repulsive -- has a lot of support. Hillary assumed that her "Blue Wall" in the upper Midwest was so solid that she didn't bother to campaign here. We just weren't worthy of her time and attention, and we felt it.

- Trump won Michigan a sliver - 0.2% margin
- Trump won Wisconsin by the same 0.2% margin

Hillary had little justification to trust that Wisconsin would elect her.
- She lost the Democrat Primary in Wisconsin to Bernie Sanders.
- There were 120,000 more people voted in the Republican Primary than in the Democrat Primary.
- Yet Hillary failed to make even one visit to Wisconsin after the primary.

I found this fascinating GIF that tells the side-by-side story of Hillary's and Trump's campaign rallies:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/ ... paign.gif
You're right, it's all personal opinion. I don't pay much attention to political pundits, nor their polls (remember the polls that had Hillary winning by a landslide?) But I remember Trump's tweets being more of a main factor after his election, than before as Troubadour suggested. He stepped up his tweeting after the election just to bypass (and piss off) the MSM, in my opinion. And talk about playing the stock market. Those that were able to time their investments with Trump's tweets did pretty well.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 05:50
Del wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 06:07
sweetandsour wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 04:27

Nope. Hillary won the popular vote. Trump needed Florida, and one of the Midwest states (I can't immediately remember which one), to get past Hillary on electoral votes, and he narrowly got them. Hillary protested Florida briefly but then gave it up.

I think if the Dems would have run anyone else besides Hillary, then they'd have won the election. That's how Obama got nominated in the first place, too many on the DNC didn't want Hillary. But, they finally caved in 2016 and gave her the nod.

I suspected foul play in 2016, and I don't mean Russia. Trump and the Clintons were big buddies until the election.
Elections are big, complicated, complex things. We can all keep our pet opinions.

I've heard that Trump campaigned effectively on social media. I dunno, because I never met him there. But several pundits concur with Troubadour.

My pet opinion -- that Hillary lost her own election by being unelectable and repulsive -- has a lot of support. Hillary assumed that her "Blue Wall" in the upper Midwest was so solid that she didn't bother to campaign here. We just weren't worthy of her time and attention, and we felt it.

- Trump won Michigan a sliver - 0.2% margin
- Trump won Wisconsin by the same 0.2% margin

Hillary had little justification to trust that Wisconsin would elect her.
- She lost the Democrat Primary in Wisconsin to Bernie Sanders.
- There were 120,000 more people voted in the Republican Primary than in the Democrat Primary.
- Yet Hillary failed to make even one visit to Wisconsin after the primary.

I found this fascinating GIF that tells the side-by-side story of Hillary's and Trump's campaign rallies:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/ ... paign.gif
You're right, it's all personal opinion. I don't pay much attention to political pundits, nor their polls (remember the polls that had Hillary winning by a landslide?) But I remember Trump's tweets being more of a main factor after his election, than before as Troubadour suggested. He stepped up his tweeting after the election just to bypass (and piss off) the MSM, in my opinion. And talk about playing the stock market. Those that were able to time their investments with Trump's tweets did pretty well.
What nobody seems to remember about Trump's tweets -- He backed off quite a bit on his wild tweets by the end of his first year in office.

The tweet-storms were fun at first -- it was new and fun, and we've never before seen the regime media pushed back in real time. But after a while they got to be less effective, and the "mean tweets" stopped making headlines. Donald Trump hasn't been much on social media for years, but he'll always be remembered for "covfefe."

I don't recall the stock market reacting to Trump's tweets. How the heck could anybody "time the market" to that?
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

Liz Cheney (I like her) lost her House seat in Wyomings election yesterday. There was no doubt she would - Trump is overwhelmingly popular there (and he endorsed her opponent) and she has made no secret of what she thinks of the Don. Now, she's considering a run for the Republican nomination for POTUS.

On her way off the stage after conceding last night she said “I have said since January 6 that I will do whatever it takes to ensure that Donald Trump is never again near the Oval Office, and I mean it. This is a fight for all of us, together,” she said. “I’m a conservative Republican. … But I love my country more. So I ask you tonight to join me: As we leave here, let us resolve that we will stand together, Republicans, Democrats and independents, against those who would destroy our republic.”

I'm right there beside her as a Republican who hates, yes hates, Trump. He's a crude and coarse man who was good for my retirement accounts but was and is a bad leader for our nation.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 07:26 Liz Cheney (I like her) lost her House seat in Wyomings election yesterday. There was no doubt she would - Trump is overwhelmingly popular there (and he endorsed her opponent) and she has made no secret of what she thinks of the Don. Now, she's considering a run for the Republican nomination for POTUS.

On her way off the stage after conceding last night she said “I have said since January 6 that I will do whatever it takes to ensure that Donald Trump is never again near the Oval Office, and I mean it. This is a fight for all of us, together,” she said. “I’m a conservative Republican. … But I love my country more. So I ask you tonight to join me: As we leave here, let us resolve that we will stand together, Republicans, Democrats and independents, against those who would destroy our republic.”

I'm right there beside her as a Republican who hates, yes hates, Trump. He's a crude and coarse man who was good for my retirement accounts but was and is a bad leader for our nation.
Except that you're a reg'lar guy Never Trumper, and she's a NeoCon Swamp Kid who's never had a real job.

She'd like Trump better if he had started a new war.... instead of ending two old ones.
Trump was on the verge of lasting peace in the Middle East. He chilled North Korea's nuclear and missile ambitions. He kept Putin chained up in Russia.

You don't like Trump, and you've got your reasons. But if Trump had run as a Democrat, he would have gotten a Nobel Peace Prize -- for sure.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

Gee whiz. When you put it like that, I can see why you worship the guy.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 12:43 Gee whiz. When you put it like that, I can see why you worship the guy.
I don't worship Trump. It's more like veneration.

I'm hoping for DeSantis.