Is casual sex sinful?

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
Del
Usher
Usher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Del »

Troubadour wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 04:21Honestly, we really need to just wait for the next Vatican council for them to evolve and drop the archaism about birth control and abortion concerns
Dude, that is not how the Holy Spirit works. Councils are not like some Supreme Court decision that was wrongly decided and later overturned. We don't sit around and vote on what we want believe these days.

You might as well say that the Ten Commandments were okay back then but wrong for now. (Even that one about not desiring sex with a woman who is not your wife.)

And do you want to know why? (of course, you do. You're so open curious!)

It's because was and is really are "the same thing." Human nature does not change, simply because we have some new fad opinions about stuff. Forced slavery is evil, and it was evil even when it was legal and common. Infanticide didn't become good after Roe v. Wade. It only became legal, and we weren't able to use our government to protect mothers and children.
Troubadour wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 04:21.... birth control and abortion concerns which go beyond the "taking of human life" equation.

Troubadour wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 04:21Same with the heretical nonsense about divorce. No one other than a sociopath or a demon is going to say that a person should stay in a marriage with a partner who's repeatedly sodomizing their children. People wouldn't have been bought that in the 11th century, let alone the 21st.
No Catholic teaching ever said that anyone has to live with an abusive person. Not now, not in the 11th century. Even St. Paul talks about Christian wives who are turned out by their pagan husbands. So from what ignorance did you generate this idea?

It's okay that you don't know Catholic faith or practice. You have never studied it. Just be a bit humble, and ask questions before you spout opinions. Always a smart and wise thing to do.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Hugo Drax »

Troubadour wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 04:21
FredS wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 08:53 Tuttle circles us back to the main point. IF you agree that sex was cooked up by the Creator as a means for reproduction while, at the same time, affording a man and a woman a supremely enjoyable and intimate act, you must certainly realize that sex apart from that very narrow path, is a sin. I wrote "at the same time" very intentionally.
Okay, only problem is that "was" and "is" aren't the same thing.

As far as the Bible goes, in Eden, procreation wasn't originally a burden, this became the case as a result of the fall of man and the rescinding of God's command to multiply which was made prior to the fall.

After the fact, procreation (but not necessarily "sex") became a potential source of woe to potentially be avoided beyond the realities of mere necessity.

This also coincides with the shift away from Old Testament polygamy to New Testament monogamy (though monogamy was hinted at in Eden prior to the fall) - because while polygamous marriages allowed for families to produce "more children" than monogamy, and played a role in primitive survivalism, monogamy was viewed as promoting better intimacy.
The RCC, and, evidently, the Tuttles, hold that to participate in the act, one must allow for procreation. Many others think it's fine to try to decouple the act from the chance of pregnancy as long as the couple is married and willing to bear a child if it comes to that.
Honestly, we really need to just wait for the next Vatican council for them to evolve and drop the archaism about birth control and abortion concerns which go beyond the "taking of human life" equation. Sure, there'll be a minority of radicals like the "sedavaticanists" who still cling to Latin masses or egocentrism, but they'll dwindle to numerical irrelevance.

Same with the heretical nonsense about divorce. No one other than a sociopath or a demon is going to say that a person should stay in a marriage with a partner who's repeatedly sodomizing their children. People wouldn't have been bought that in the 11th century, let alone the 21st.
Both camps should believe that casual sex is far away from His intentions. The very fact that raising a child is one of the heaviest burdens any of us will ever bear, and that being a single parent makes that much more difficult, is proof enough of the original plan.
I agree that there are realistic problems which can come from casual sex, despite these narratives having some holes.
I bring up guilt, perhaps presumptively, because I assumed there was a reason for your original question: Is casual sex sinful? There are implications if it is or isn't. From all I can gather from this thread is that you are seeking to justify it.

Who are we sinning against when we sin? At times others and ourselves, but always against God. So even if both parties feel great about it there is still a Third to consider. But He is the Ancient of Days so maybe you don't think what He says can coincide with the 21st century?
Well, honestly I'm not inclined to think that God would recognize many marriages as legitimate - they may serve a legal and social function, but of course no person has any "divine" authority to legitimize them beyond whatever definitions the law allots for - people just assume so because they're inspired by a marital ideal with differing degrees of conformity to thereof.
This post is the non plus ultra of Del-ba(i)ting. It is magnificent. From the changing nature of God to the prediction of the Vatican's impending wholesale rejection of Tradition right down to God not recognizing the sacrament of marriage, it's a masterpiece. Chef's kiss.

I'm going to go put on a hat so I can take it off to you, sir.
Weenies are us.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by tuttle »

FredS wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 08:53 Tuttle circles us back to the main point. IF you agree that sex was cooked up by the Creator as a means for reproduction while, at the same time, affording a man and a woman a supremely enjoyable and intimate act, you must certainly realize that sex apart from that very narrow path, is a sin. I wrote "at the same time" very intentionally.
Okay, only problem is that "was" and "is" aren't the same thing.

As far as the Bible goes, in Eden, procreation wasn't originally a burden, this became the case as a result of the fall of man and the rescinding of God's command to multiply which was made prior to the fall.

After the fact, procreation (but not necessarily "sex") became a potential source of woe to potentially be avoided beyond the realities of mere necessity.
I'll grant you the argument that procreation became a burden. However, good things became a burden because of sin, not because the good things somehow turned into sinful things. When good things take on a negative shade, it has more to do with a fault within us rather than the good thing itself.
Troubadour wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 04:21 This also coincides with the shift away from Old Testament polygamy to New Testament monogamy (though monogamy was hinted at in Eden prior to the fall) - because while polygamous marriages allowed for families to produce "more children" than monogamy, and played a role in primitive survivalism, monogamy was viewed as promoting better intimacy.
I don't know if anyone is arguing against intimacy.
The RCC, and, evidently, the Tuttles, hold that to participate in the act, one must allow for procreation. Many others think it's fine to try to decouple the act from the chance of pregnancy as long as the couple is married and willing to bear a child if it comes to that.
Honestly, we really need to just wait for the next Vatican council for them to evolve and drop the archaism about birth control and abortion concerns which go beyond the "taking of human life" equation. Sure, there'll be a minority of radicals like the "sedavaticanists" who still cling to Latin masses or egocentrism, but they'll dwindle to numerical irrelevance.
I ain't Roman Catholic.

And again with the attack on things of the past. "Archaism". Unless it's milk, just because a thing is old doesn't mean it's wrong or irrelevant.
Troubadour wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 04:21 Same with the heretical nonsense about divorce. No one other than a sociopath or a demon is going to say that a person should stay in a marriage with a partner who's repeatedly sodomizing their children. People wouldn't have been bought that in the 11th century, let alone the 21st.
That's an oddly specific situation. Again, who is arguing about this?
Both camps should believe that casual sex is far away from His intentions. The very fact that raising a child is one of the heaviest burdens any of us will ever bear, and that being a single parent makes that much more difficult, is proof enough of the original plan.
I agree that there are realistic problems which can come from casual sex, despite these narratives having some holes.
Children are more easily disposed of when viewed as problems...
I bring up guilt, perhaps presumptively, because I assumed there was a reason for your original question: Is casual sex sinful? There are implications if it is or isn't. From all I can gather from this thread is that you are seeking to justify it.

Who are we sinning against when we sin? At times others and ourselves, but always against God. So even if both parties feel great about it there is still a Third to consider. But He is the Ancient of Days so maybe you don't think what He says can coincide with the 21st century?
Well, honestly I'm not inclined to think that God would recognize many marriages as legitimate - they may serve a legal and social function, but of course no person has any "divine" authority to legitimize them beyond whatever definitions the law allots for - people just assume so because they're inspired by a marital ideal with differing degrees of conformity to thereof.
Have you ever thought that God could give a damn about your inclinations? I'm not being flippant either. When discussing God's intentions damnation is on the table. And when discussing marriage--the mystery has been revealed--we are discussing a picture of Christ and His Church.

That said, you speak a lot of bloviated rot. Maybe you're arguing with yourself or your dad, but it sounds like you're disengaged with the people here.

I'd encourage you to renew your mind, friend. Stop justifying sin. Believe in Jesus.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Hugo Drax

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Hugo Drax »

Hey got Protestant Del, too. What a beautiful, beautiful post. Craft disguised as innocence.
Weenies are us.
Del
Usher
Usher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 27 Jul 2022, 06:07 Hey got Protestant Del, too. What a beautiful, beautiful post. Craft disguised as innocence.
that was a bit of genius, whether by accident or on purpose. He got us good, for sure!
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Hovannes »

tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by tuttle »

Has this thread caught Monkeypox yet?
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Del
Usher
Usher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Del »

tuttle wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 10:39 Has this thread caught Monkeypox yet?
CPS is just a bunch of guys engaging in consensual, anonymous yet intimate group interaction.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Biff »

tuttle wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 10:39 Has this thread caught Monkeypox yet?
I checked the data - survey says, yes. Poxy as all-get-out
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Hovannes »

Casual=khakis and a polo shirt, right? :?