The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Hovannes »

Troubadour wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 00:54
Hovannes wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 09:38 When I've been visiting my daughter in LA, a Spyderco Delica, which is a hair under the legal blade length in LAImage
The legal blade length looks pretty short.
It is!
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Hovannes »

Our State laws are preempted by local ordinances, at least with knives.
Of course perps don't care one way or the other.
Gascone made sure of that.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by sweetandsour »

Ether wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 08:24 This is my Opinel No.8.
I use it exclusively for cutting tobacco. The handle has darkened from boiling it in linseed oil.
20220820_171145.jpg
You boil your knife in linseed oil? Or you rub the handle with boiled linseed oil. Pretty knife, btw.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Ether
Sunday School Student

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Ether »

sweetandsour wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 18:45
I use it exclusively for cutting tobacco. The handle has darkened from boiling it in linseed oil.
20220820_171145.jpg
You boil your knife in linseed oil? Or you rub the handle with boiled linseed oil. Pretty knife, btw.
It's an old method of making wooden things durable. You fry it in linseed oil until no more bubbles are coming. (It smells quite a bit, try to do it outdoors or in the garage) Every last bit of water has left the item and is replaced by oil. It will never ever draw humidity again. The handle is almost immortal now.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by sweetandsour »

Ether wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 21:29
20220820_171145.jpg
It's an old method of making wooden things durable. You fry it in linseed oil until no more bubbles are coming. (It smells quite a bit, try to do it outdoors or in the garage) Every last bit of water has left the item and is replaced by oil. It will never ever draw humidity again. The handle is almost immortal now.
I can't recall hearing of that method. I've used so-called boiled linseed oil before, which is supposed to dry faster and penetrate the wood better.

Interesting.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Ether
Sunday School Student

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Ether »

Here you are, sir.
oil heat treatment of wood.pdf
(181.19 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
sweetandsour wrote: 21 Aug 2022, 02:56
Ether wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 21:29

I can't recall hearing of that method. I've used so-called boiled linseed oil before, which is supposed to dry faster and penetrate the wood better.

Interesting.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

So...I mentioned that I recently bought 3 new pocket knives...here are the first two to arrive.

The case is like new but produced in 2012 per the date code. The pic makes it look almost pink, in person is is a few shades darker red.

The second one is a Western made in Boulder Colorado. It was produced in the 70s...It is in great condition and as the knife guys say, it "walks and talks" like it was new. No blade wobble and a strong snap open/close.

Both were found while dredging the "Bay"...and both are 3 blade stockman style

The 3rd one is a Schrade LB7 single blade lockback, (think Buck 110). I am hoping it comes in today.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

Bloodhound wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 10:38

The 3rd one is a Schrade LB7 single blade lockback, (think Buck 110). I am hoping it comes in today.
Nice knives, Blood. Did the Schrade LB7 ever show up? I love an old Schrade. I have an old school Uncle Henry LB7.
I’ll try to post some pics when I can.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

Jocose wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 20:59
Bloodhound wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 10:38

Nice knives, Blood. Did the Schrade LB7 ever show up? I love an old Schrade. I have an old school Uncle Henry LB7.
I’ll try to post some pics when I can.
The LB7 did show...I was surprised that is was made during the time that they were putting serial numbers on them. I tracked it down and it was made in 1979...I'll get some pics and get them posed.

I loke the Buck 110, but the Schrades that I have in hand vs the Bucks in hand, the Schrade is a little nicer fit and finish on the old USA knives.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

Here’s a few USA made Schrade knives of mine. I have a ton of trappers and other models as well.

Pictured at top is a Schrade Walden 25OT (1964-1973) I’ve had this one forever. I’ve cleaned a lot of fish and deer when I was younger.

Schrade+ 6OT Not sure the date on this one. Guessing late 90’s early 2000?

Uncle Henry LB7 I got this one from Zed years ago.

Last is an old 152 Sharpfinger. I Last Cut and wrapped a nice Blacktail with it in early 2000’s
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.