Bowls and Billiards - An OFG Pool Cue

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

I play the "Stars and Stripes" set above every year for a couple of weeks in July. This is another set made by "Elephant Balls" that is also called "Stars and Stripes." I put this set out for a couple of weeks every spring for Memorial Day.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

These are the current world 9 ball sets used on TV. They are by Aramith and notice that the 5 ball is purple which is unique, and that all of the white on the balls has been reversed to black. A really interesting conversation starter when these are on the table. If playing 9 ball, you can NOT go by color. You have to look for the number because these colors are quite confused from the standard.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

Another "Unicorn" set. This is the 29 ball color set. It is great for parties. You can play 15 ball couthroat, 3 player 8 ball, 5 player cutthroat, and many other games with all of these different colors. I actually have several sets of these so I can make complete sets of many different colors for black ball / 8 ball with red/blue, green/yellow, pink/red etc and often throw in one of the other unique 8 balls I have to make the set different.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

This is a set you can still buy. This is an add on to a regular set called "BaseBall". Each player takes turns playing an inning. After the break, your score for the inning is the sum of the numbers on the balls you pocketed. Shoot til you miss and your inning is over. Breaking with 21 balls is a challenge. It takes a lot of power to get a good spread and have a chance to make a run. You would never play this game on a 7ft. bar table. My home table is a standard 8 and this game gets crowded. This set comes with the large triangle for racking 21 balls. Also in the picture is a set of "Elephant Standard" balls that I use with the add on to play baseball with because the match fairly closely.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

You are the only born-again billiards enthusiast I've ever known, sir. I've always understood, if not always followed, the admonition to stay the heck out of pool halls, but there seems to be a prejudice against the game itself. Really neat collection. And of the old exploding cellulose models?
Weenies are us.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

Hugo Drax wrote: 04 Sep 2022, 19:42 You are the only born-again billiards enthusiast I've ever known, sir. I've always understood, if not always followed, the admonition to stay the heck out of pool halls, but there seems to be a prejudice against the game itself. Really neat collection. And of the old exploding cellulose models?
Years ago when I gave up golf (which is a part time job in terms of time taken from your life) in favor of being a better Dad, I bought the pool table to satisfy my "man need" for some version of a sporting distraction. Pool was a great fill in here. I can spend just 20 to 30 minutes a day playing and practicing, and never miss time with family while actually becoming pretty good at the game!

Yes, it's sad that billiards is relegated to a bar room sport for ruffians. Even in the "Pro" world where Top Earners make about $100 to $150 K per year it is a lowly sport. Particularly when a top tier golfer earns MILLIONS and even a world class "CornHole" player makes into the 7 figures.

What began as a regal sport of the wealthy has become rudimentary. Still, none of this takes away from the remarkable skill and practice required to be a good player.

As for the late 1800's and the celluloid balls, yes they did have a tendency to spark, catch fire, and even occasionally explode! That must have been a lot more fun that the games we play today! :-)