Falcon bent stem

Pipe & Hardware discussions
Craig Thompson
Sunday School Student

Falcon bent stem

Post by Craig Thompson »

To the best of my knowledge to last POY was 2020, a Falcon bowl. Just last week I finally purchased a stem for it. Bent pipes work better for me so that is what I got. A chrome bent stem (not really chrome, natural aluminum). This is my first Falcon pipe.

The aluminum part bends up from the bowl mount about 40 degrees. The plastic bit bends down about 15 degrees. The final effect is the bowl is up in a position like a straight stem when clenched. That defeats the purpose of a bent stem.

The plastic bit is rather short. Should I be able to rebend it to get closer to the full 40 degree angle? Or is it too short to put that amount of bend in it?
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Falcon bent stem

Post by Hugo Drax »

Craig Thompson wrote: 12 Sep 2022, 07:06 To the best of my knowledge to last POY was 2020, a Falcon bowl. Just last week I finally purchased a stem for it. Bent pipes work better for me so that is what I got. A chrome bent stem (not really chrome, natural aluminum). This is my first Falcon pipe.

The aluminum part bends up from the bowl mount about 40 degrees. The plastic bit bends down about 15 degrees. The final effect is the bowl is up in a position like a straight stem when clenched. That defeats the purpose of a bent stem.

The plastic bit is rather short. Should I be able to rebend it to get closer to the full 40 degree angle? Or is it too short to put that amount of bend in it?
Cannot tell you, except to say it's your pipe and you can always bend it back.

My own experience is that Falcons weren't meant to jut from the jaw but to sort of dangle. This changes the angle on the bent to actually look right. Getting used to a Falcon changed the way I clench any pipe and taught me to take a lot of pressure off of my jaw.

I'm a convert. Others hate them. They're the perfect working pipe for me.
Weenies are us.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Falcon bent stem

Post by FredS »

If you decide to experiment, know that pipe makers usually insert a pipe cleaner -single or doubled over - in to the airway when bending bits. The hope is that it will keep the airway from distorting or collapsing during the process. Heat it slowly. A candle or alcohol lamp is safest but a heat gun on low will work if you stay a couple inches away. I bend stems in the kitchen, with cold water running from the faucet before I even start so I can quickly cool the stem to set it where I want. Be careful not to impart any sideways twist while it's warm. Even a slight twist is noticeable and you'll have to re-heat it to fix it.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Craig Thompson
Sunday School Student

Falcon bent stem

Post by Craig Thompson »

Thanks gents. I will be leaving on a trip in a few days and I might not be able to attempt the bend until I return.

If I totally ruin the plastic bit, can that be purchased seperately? I did not see that on the sellers web sites.
Hugo Drax

Falcon bent stem

Post by Hugo Drax »

Craig Thompson wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 13:36 Thanks gents. I will be leaving on a trip in a few days and I might not be able to attempt the bend until I return.

If I totally ruin the plastic bit, can that be purchased seperately? I did not see that on the sellers web sites.
Not to my knowledge. They're not supposed to be removable, you see. Falcon used to offer a re-fitting service, but I don't believe they still do. A repairman would have to make a new bit.
Weenies are us.
Hugo Drax

Falcon bent stem

Post by Hugo Drax »

Troubadour wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 14:41
Hugo Drax wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 14:03
Craig Thompson wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 13:36 Thanks gents. I will be leaving on a trip in a few days and I might not be able to attempt the bend until I return.

Not to my knowledge. They're not supposed to be removable, you see. Falcon used to offer a re-fitting service, but I don't believe they still do. A repairman would have to make a new bit.
https://www.uktobacco.com/pipe-accessor ... stems.html
That's the price for an entirely new assembly. The bits are not replaceable and that's one of the real drawbacks of the Falcon. The bits are made of nylon and I've seen some gents really shred them.
Weenies are us.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Falcon bent stem

Post by FredS »

Hugo Drax wrote: 13 Sep 2022, 14:03

I've never seen replacement bits that will fit a Falcon right out of the box. Granted, I've not scoured the 'net but I did look around a lot back when we had the Falcon POY.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson