The OFG's .22 Rifle

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The OFG's .22 Rifle

Post by SlowToke »

JimVH wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 12:31
SlowToke wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 12:26
Biff wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 19:41 Can confirm: Henry makes great stuff. I own a 38/.357 Henry big loop. I'm jonesing for the side-gate 30-30. Once you 'mericans stop hoggin' them all, and they come across the border, I'll have one.
I have a Marlin 30-30 lever action. It's a cannon. I'd love a .38/357 lever action but those are all hogged up too!
I have the Marlin in .357, .44, and 30-30. Years ago I had it in 45-70 and traded it. One of the worst gun decisions I ever made.

I really enjoy that platform.
Nice!
JudgeRusty
Sunday School Student

The OFG's .22 Rifle

Post by JudgeRusty »

I learned to shoot with a Remington Targetmaster (single shot, bolt action).
If you missed with it, then it was your fault (at least per Daddy's comments).
It is a wonder it survived with years of riding on floor behind the Scout seat and 100s of coon hunts where it sometimes doubled as a walking stick.

I have it now, along with some others.

A Marlin semi auto with a very cheap scope handles most of the varmint control around d here.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's .22 Rifle

Post by Jocose »

The .22 rifle is one of mankind's greatest inventions. I have an old tube fed Remington .22 (short, long and LR) from the 40's that still works beautifully.

I miss the old days when you could buy a brick (500 rounds) of .22 for 8$ (on sale)
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's .22 Rifle

Post by Bloodhound »

Jocose wrote: 23 Jan 2023, 22:31 The .22 rifle is one of mankind's greatest inventions. I have an old tube fed Remington .22 (short, long and LR) from the 40's that still works beautifully.

I miss the old days when you could buy a brick (500 rounds) of .22 for 8$ (on sale)
When my son was young, I had a membership at the local gun club, and they had a small indoor range where we could shoot .22 rifles, a Marlin 15YN for him and a Marlin 25 for me. We would finish dinner and homework, and then we would hit the local Gibsons and get a brick of 500 .22 and then hit the range for an hour or two. I would watch for the sale on the ammo, sometimes it was Winchester and sometimes Federal and sometime CCI. I remember getting it for that same 8 bucks. Those were good times
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's .22 Rifle

Post by FredS »

Ahhh, Gibson's. My dad's choice for sporting goods and rimfire ammo. They used to have a bucket (sort of like a pickle jar) full of golf tees on the counter in the sporting goods department. All you could pull out for like a dollar. My mom was thin with long fingers so dad had her grab a handful once. As far as I know, he never played golf in his life. Maybe he made some of those triangle peg-jumping games. I don't know.

My buddy won a tackle box from Gibson's for the largest fish of the week/month when we were teenagers. We ran trot lines in his boat so he got to submit it. We'd stay out all night sometimes. Channel cat, I think it was a 16lbs.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson