OFG Hand Ax

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

OFG Hand Ax

Post by Bloodhound »

When I was about 12, I went to a surplus store with my step dad. He was looking for a tent pole. I found one of these...not as nice, but very functional. I bought it with my $2.75, I had it thru high school, when I left home, I left the ax with the camping gear. My step dad and mom got divorced and the ax went with him along with the rest of the camping gear...sure would have liked to have that old hand ax back..

Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

OFG Hand Ax

Post by Bloodhound »

Well I was waiting for a call this afternoon and I found one just like my old hand ax on the auction site...made a low ball offer and it was accepted...

I'll post pics when it arrives :dance:
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

OFG Hand Ax

Post by FredS »

Is a "hand axe" the same as a hatchet?

[EDIT] The internet says "Although hand axe and hatchet are often used interchangeably, they are not the same thing. A hand axe is essentially a miniature axe with a flat butt or poll on the back side of the head, whereas a hatchet has a hammerhead on the back."
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

OFG Hand Ax

Post by Bloodhound »

The one I had was just like a single bit ax head with a mostly straight handle like the handle in the photo, and the one I found on line is just like that too. I had a friend who had a hatchet that had the same style head, but the handle was shaped like a mini single ax handle with a curve to it.

I always called my straight style handle and standard style head, a hatchet...but when I went looking for one a few years ago, I was looking for an Eastwing hatchet, the guys at two hardware stores informed me that a hatchet was a straight handle with no curve at all like a 5 lb hammer or small sledge hammer and it was a hand ax if there was any curve to the handle...so I called this thread hand ax...

But in truth, I have a handle that I think could be used in the head of the unit I am buying, and it is straight...so with that in mind a hatchet could be turned into a hand ax by swapping out the handle...

I do not know, but here is a pic of one that looks like what I bought...accept the one I got is OD green
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

OFG Hand Ax

Post by Hugo Drax »

Huh. I simply inherited mine. Never needed another one.

Nice hatchet/hand axe/white man's tomahawk!
Weenies are us.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

OFG Hand Ax

Post by GaryInVA »

A friend of mine restores old hatchets and axes. He gave me an axe as a gift. I just need to find it in storage.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
Jocose
Usher
Usher

OFG Hand Ax

Post by Jocose »

I plan on forging an OFG hand ax and/or hatchet once my horrible blacksmithing skills improve.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

OFG Hand Ax

Post by FredS »

I've heard that forging a hand ax and/or hatchet is a great way to improve ones blacksmithing skills.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson