Read More CS Lewis

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by ChildOfGod »

I just recommended The Screwtape Letters to a raging progressive last week on FB. Felt like I did my bit; or all I could do.
Wishing you God's very best!
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 09:49 I need to spend some more time with Lewis. I loved Screwtape. Mere Christianity is a classic for good reason. Pipeson and Jordan Peterson regularly quote The Abolition of Man.
tuttle wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 05:29 I think this would be an interesting exercise with G.K. Chesterton as well, but I'm so much more familiar with the whole of Lewis' works. For Chesterton I'd need to depend on someone else--although a great book in this vein is a collection of essays called "In Defense of Sanity"
It's difficult to find a place to start with Chesterton. Wherever a guy starts reading, it's always in the middle.

To be honest, the folks at the Chesterton Society have struggled for years to come up with an introductory reading plan for GKC. The problem is that he wrote so damn much.... in several diverse genres and on so many different topics/categories of topics. A Chesterton guy really wants to interview the new reader a bit, find out what he's interested in and what he likes to read, and then recommend something that suits him.

The Chesterton Society have a list of recommended books, sorted according to one's taste and interest -- Shakespeare, poetry, essays, novels, Christian apologetics, economics & social commentary, mystery stories, biographies....

https://www.chesterton.org/reading-plan/
I've read Lewis non fiction and get by ok. I've never read Chesterton before now, and honestly am struggling somewhat with Orthodoxy. Maybe it's my current frame of mind, but I'm having trouble following it. I'm more or less just muddling through it so far. Looking at the review in the link posted above, there are quite a few quotes listed, but I guess I've been missing those, in the midst of all of the verbage, or what the reviewer calls rhetoric.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 14:24
Del wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 09:49 I need to spend some more time with Lewis. I loved Screwtape. Mere Christianity is a classic for good reason. Pipeson and Jordan Peterson regularly quote The Abolition of Man.
tuttle wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 05:29 I think this would be an interesting exercise with G.K. Chesterton as well, but I'm so much more familiar with the whole of Lewis' works. For Chesterton I'd need to depend on someone else--although a great book in this vein is a collection of essays called "In Defense of Sanity"
It's difficult to find a place to start with Chesterton. Wherever a guy starts reading, it's always in the middle.

To be honest, the folks at the Chesterton Society have struggled for years to come up with an introductory reading plan for GKC. The problem is that he wrote so damn much.... in several diverse genres and on so many different topics/categories of topics. A Chesterton guy really wants to interview the new reader a bit, find out what he's interested in and what he likes to read, and then recommend something that suits him.

The Chesterton Society have a list of recommended books, sorted according to one's taste and interest -- Shakespeare, poetry, essays, novels, Christian apologetics, economics & social commentary, mystery stories, biographies....

I've read Lewis non fiction and get by ok. I've never read Chesterton before now, and honestly am struggling somewhat with Orthodoxy. Maybe it's my current frame of mind, but I'm having trouble following it. I'm more or less just muddling through it so far. Looking at the review in the link posted above, there are quite a few quotes listed, but I guess I've been missing those, in the midst of all of the verbage, or what the reviewer calls rhetoric.
Everyone gets lost in Orthodoxy. One problem is that each sentence is so quotably beautiful that the reader loses the overall thread. Orthodoxy should not be the first book of a new Chesterton reader. Those ponderous paragraphs are challenging for modern readers, who think in terms of "tweets."

But it is his most popular work. My recommendation is to read it through, and just let it flow along. And then commit to reading it again. The second time makes a lot more sense. And it stands up for multiple readings.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by tuttle »

Del wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 16:18

Everyone gets lost in Orthodoxy. One problem is that each sentence is so quotably beautiful that the reader loses the overall thread. Orthodoxy should not be the first book of a new Chesterton reader. Those ponderous paragraphs are challenging for modern readers, who think in terms of "tweets."

But it is his most popular work. My recommendation is to read it through, and just let it flow along. And then commit to reading it again. The second time makes a lot more sense. And it stands up for multiple readings.
To the uninitiated, I always recommend starting with Tremendous Trifles.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Read More CS Lewis

Post by Biff »

tuttle wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 13:11

Yeah. Truffles are wonderful.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by sweetandsour »

Biff wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 19:28
tuttle wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 13:11

You smoke truffles? Tell me more.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 05:22
Biff wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 19:28
tuttle wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 13:11 To the uninitiated, I always recommend starting with Tremendous Trifles.
You smoke truffles? Tell me more.
Stokkebye Black Truffle: Tobacco Reviews

Stokkebye Black Truffle: Smoking Pipes

This is the aromatic base for Uncle Bob's Shortcut to Mushrooms

Lewis and Tolkien were avid pipe smokers. We must read more of them.

Chesterton smoked cigars, as he found pipes to be much too fiddly and he lacked the knack. Read him too.