Small Cigars

Even cigar smokers are welcome here.
JudgeRusty
Sunday School Student

Small Cigars

Post by JudgeRusty »

Share your reviews and opinions on Parodi, Red Lion, Kentucky Cheroots & etc.

I know enough to know that I don't know anything.
Del
Usher
Usher

Small Cigars

Post by Del »

I recall a fun memory about the first time I encountered the little fellers!

Back around 2005, when civilized men would still smoke in dive bars and classier establishments, I used to frequent an Irish pub after work for pipe and Guinness. I settled down with a young European businessman (Sweden, I think), who was going bonkers over how cheap it is to drink in Wisconsin.

He introduced me to little Toscanello Italian cigars. These are topped with some pipe tobacco flavors, and I fell in love. They were hard to find in America, back then. I binged on them while I was on pilgrimage in Rome (2013), and brought a bunch home. Pipeson fell in love with them.
=============================================

De Nobili cigars are now a staple in our home. Pipeson buys them by the 100-count sleeve. They are wound very tightly, and last a satisfyingly long time for their size. They lack the pipe-flavor topping of Toscanello. We all love natural tobacco flavor too, right?

And the price is great -- under $1 per stick. About the same price as drugstore cigars, but quality like a Caribbean. (The leaf is Kentucky burley, so it doesn't taste like a virginia-based Caribbean. Very good, just different.)

They are the perfect grab-and-go smoke. They don't need tender loving humidification, so a box of five can live in your truck for a week and accompany your drive home from work.

JR Cigars offers this reflection:
https://www.jrcigars.com/blending-room/ ... ili-cigar/
The Legendary De Nobili Cigar

I remember walking to the local park in my town as a kid, and watching these old men playing bocce ball and smoking these crooked little stogies. The aroma was pungent and filled the air with the essence of beef jerky, hay, and anisette. Now, that may not sound appealing but this wafting aroma was like perfume to my senses and really piqued my curiosity as to how they must taste.

As I got older (legal smoking age), I remember a local candy store had these little white, green, and red boxes on the counter with the name De Nobili on them. Upon opening this box of stogies, which at the time were know by non-Italians as “stinkers,” I first noticed how crude and brittle they looked, yet when I squeezed them, I felt some moisture. So of course, I lit one up and—boom!—they tasted just liked they smelled! The essence of charred wood, beef jerky, hay, and anisette filled my palate along with the air around me. Now I had a good idea what those old bocce-ball-wielding paisanos were smoking!

The famous Avanti company manufactures De Nobili cigars in Scranton, Pennsylvania, right here in the U.S.A. Since 1896, these distinctive dry-cured cigars are machine-made with a mellow, medium-bodied blend of 100% dark-fire-cured Kentucky and Tennessee tobaccos. From the Avanti website: “The De Nobili brand has always been New York’s Italian cigar, and a favorite of Frank Sinatra, who claimed he couldn’t handle fresh air. He’d ‘rather be around three De Nobili cigars blowing in my face all night.’”

Fast-forward years later, and the top-quality De Nobli stogie remains one of my favorite little smokes. I must admit that they are not for everyone, but if you are curious to experience that old Americana taste that millions of smokers still adore, I suggest you give them a try. And best of all, no bocce ball required!
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Small Cigars

Post by Bloodhound »

I had never tried Cheroots until I started hanging out here. I am a fan. The work really well while fishing on the river. Nice little break as I am tying on a new fly or dealing with wind tangles and such...

I buy them at a small downtown Denver shop and they are a little more expensive than if I got them online, but its fun to visit the shop on my lunch hour when I am working from the office.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
JudgeRusty
Sunday School Student

Small Cigars

Post by JudgeRusty »

Bloodhound wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 10:27 I had never tried Cheroots until I started hanging out here. I am a fan. The work really well while fishing on the river. Nice little break as I am tying on a new fly or dealing with wind tangles and such...

I buy them at a small downtown Denver shop and they are a little more expensive than if I got them online, but its fun to visit the shop on my lunch hour when I am working from the office.
Which cheroots?
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Small Cigars

Post by Bloodhound »

JudgeRusty wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 15:06
Bloodhound wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 10:27 I had never tried Cheroots until I started hanging out here. I am a fan. The work really well while fishing on the river. Nice little break as I am tying on a new fly or dealing with wind tangles and such...

Which cheroots?
Toscano
Toscanello
Parodi
De Nobili
These are what I normally find locally depending. I like the Toscanello but they tend to be more mild than the others...I do like them all with my favs being Toscano followed by Parodi...but that is because I like a strong smoke. The room note on all of these is rather strong and astringent
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Small Cigars

Post by jmg »

JudgeRusty wrote: 23 Apr 2022, 05:57 Share your reviews and opinions on Parodi, Red Lion, Kentucky Cheroots & etc.

I know enough to know that I don't know anything.
I LOVE Parodi Kings. If I had any "fun money" at all I would probably pick up a box. Additionally, if I had a monthly budget of said fun money, I would just keep a box around at all times.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Small Cigars

Post by Hugo Drax »

Always nice to see the smoking public accept new things. Parodis and DeNobilis were a standard old Italian man smoke when I was a kid. They even crumbled them up and smoked them in their pipes.

Parodi/DeNobili/Avanti are owned by the Italian Toscanello brand, the big difference being that the domestic manufacture contains only Kentucky tobacco and the Italian brands contain both American and Italian tobacco. Unfortunately, this raises the price of the Italian version exponentially because the American tobacco pays export duty on the way out and import duty on the way back in.

Try them. They're pleasant and require no humidification, although they like not to totally dry out. There is always a packet in my glove compartment.
Weenies are us.
JudgeRusty
Sunday School Student

Small Cigars

Post by JudgeRusty »

From the internet on difference between Paorodi, Avanti & de Nobli:

"Avanti is flavored with just a bit of anisette. As for the difference between Parodi and De Nobili, I have a message from their customer service department:
“All of our cigars are made with the same tobaccos. We use only the finest Kentucky and Tennessee Dark Fired tobaccos in all of our blends.
Prior to 1945 the Parodi and De Nobili brands were slightly different. They still used the same tobacco but were made in different factories. The Parodi’s were made in Jersey City, NJ up until 1929, and the De Nobili’s were made in Long Island City, New York until 1945. After 1945 they were both made in the same factory in Scranton, Pa.
To more directly answer the question, The Parodi’s and the De Nobili’s are the exact same cigar. The brand names were retained because, back then De Nobili was New York’s Italian cigar and Parodi was New England’s Italian cigar.” "
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Small Cigars

Post by GaryInVA »

When my work says I can enjoy tobacco again one of the first sites I'm visiting is:

https://www.italiansmokes.com/premium-m ... ly-cigars/
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Small Cigars

Post by Bloodhound »

GaryInVA wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 13:39 When my work says I can enjoy tobacco again one of the first sites I'm visiting is:

https://www.italiansmokes.com/premium-m ... ly-cigars/
I had never seen that site...but I will be making an order before fishing season goes into full swing! Thanks
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...