Stock Trading

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
gaining_age
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Stock Trading

Post by gaining_age »

Del wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 06:57
gaining_age wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 20:13 cash... cash is a position. May not beat inflation but interest could beat market drops.

Timing.... you always time the market to some degree.

Puts/calls--- I refuse to do anything with my account that is related to "credit" moves. This is what they require me to do (which means I could also short... which is not my jive)--- so I do not.

My purchases are closer to 50-150 a shot --- but I have zero transaction fees so I trickle a lot.... <how embarrassing> .

G
Ahoy GA! Welcome back!!!!

Tim (S&S) and I have been having a lot of fun watching the market together. We have different trading styles, and we've learned a lot from each other.

The market indexes are down 20% or more from their record highs, but my little trading account is up 10% YTD. (It would be much higher, but I've made some very clumsy mistakes.) My goal is to learn how to make money in any market -- up, down, or sideways. Ultimately, I want to draw a meaningful cash allowance from my earnings each month.

Anyhow, you are doing well to keep your position sizes small as you learn and get more comfortable with trading. Are you having fun with it? What stocks are you following?

Fun is relative :)

I'm in a variety of items--- mostly "blue hair" stocks--- solid dividends catch my eye for reinvesting such that it is not all on my decisions for dollar share averaging (in time).

My trickle in is a similar approach... meaning that over time I've input quite a bit. I have tried to "time" the market just a couple times. One time was not too long ago when I thought we were going W instead of V with Covid. Had I been a lot more alert as I heard COVID was coming---- oh if... I didn't think about market impact or I would have pulled before the V some cash position. I've been trickling back in since the pull but we're still falling.

Picking healthy dividend stocks (individually) isn't so easy either. But I try.

Generally I don't do a lot of selling or re balancing with existing funds but make decisions about "next funds"-- even the ol' 401k is that method. I try not to be volatile in changes too frequently.. once very so often-- but mainly "maybe I'll change how funds are coming into mutual funds".

I'm spread pretty wide.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

gaining_age wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 07:25 Fun is relative :)

I'm in a variety of items--- mostly "blue hair" stocks--- solid dividends catch my eye for reinvesting such that it is not all on my decisions for dollar share averaging (in time).
There's nothing wrong with focusing on value stocks for buy-and-hold investing. That's how Warren Buffet does it.

Especially going into a recession.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

Copper: I'm starting to think that buying a long position in commodity copper as we are heading into a recession wasn't such a great idea.

Copper is an industrial metal. It moves up and down with the economic cycles, especially building.

[EDIT] Copper is seeing a YUGE drop this week. It's trading down at a support level that we have not seen since before covid (Jan/Feb 2020). Copper has been falling fast, sometimes with gaps, since June 2. Down 18% in three weeks.

Global demand for copper is falling fast. This is a leading indicator. The world is entering a global economic downturn.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

One word. Soybeans and corn. I heard today that the agriculture secretary and others involved with agriculture have been buying futures in soybeans and corn.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 12:03 One word. Soybeans and corn. I heard today that the agriculture secretary and others involved with agriculture have been buying futures in soybeans and corn.
It was fun buying a copper ETF; I can be patient and not expose too much.

But I'm not going to dive into futures on every hot commodity. No doubt, the projected shortages are already priced in.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 15:43
sweetandsour wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 12:03 One word. Soybeans and corn. I heard today that the agriculture secretary and others involved with agriculture have been buying futures in soybeans and corn.

But I'm not going to dive into futures on every hot commodity. No doubt, the projected shortages are already priced in.
Whatever. It was sort of a joke. I met a fellow trader this week at the job site here, and corn and soybeans are all he's talked about all week. He has apps that track what certain people are buying, such as CEOs of major corporations, senators, heads of state, etc. He's told me every day, about ethanol, corn and soybeans.

I'll make as much this week as I have all year on the market, but I'm trying to reverse this by doing better in the market.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 20:09

Whatever. It was sort of a joke. I met a fellow trader this week at the job site here, and corn and soybeans are all he's talked about all week. He has apps that track what certain people are buying, such as CEOs of major corporations, senators, heads of state, etc. He's told me every day, about ethanol, corn and soybeans.

I'll make as much this week as I have all year on the market, but I'm trying to reverse this by doing better in the market.
I lost most of my market gains in a single debacle with stock market futures. I broke THREE of my fundamental trading rules, and I'm still kicking myself for it. So I'm a bit gun-shy about delving into a new market.

Are you doing well this week in agro commodities? Which are the trading symbols that you are tracking? I'll take a look at them.
========================================

I'm looking at December corn (/ZC) right now. Corn prices saw a dramatic drop this week. It's trading at levels we saw in late March, when corn prices were in the midst of a euphoric zoom.
So now I'm confused. What are you doing exactly?

I'd love to hear the details. Give me a call sometime this weekend, if you'd care to talk about it.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 05:33

I lost most of my market gains in a single debacle with stock market futures. I broke THREE of my fundamental trading rules, and I'm still kicking myself for it. So I'm a bit gun-shy about delving into a new market.

Are you doing well this week in agro commodities? Which are the trading symbols that you are tracking? I'll take a look at them.

I'm looking at December corn (/ZC) right now. Corn prices saw a dramatic drop this week. It's trading at levels we saw in late March, when corn prices were in the midst of a euphoric zoom.

I'd love to hear the details. Give me a call sometime this weekend, if you'd care to talk about it.
I don't know enough about it to talk about it; still learning, and focusing on selling calls, not buying them. I think you may have misunderstood my comment. I made more at my one-off job I did this week, than I have from the market.
The guy I was working with bought calls that expire Dec 15. He's been buying SOYB, and ADM, are two that I remember. He watches what the ag folks in government do, and copies them, expecting more fuel mandates to be on the horizon.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 19:22

I don't know enough about it to talk about it; still learning, and focusing on selling calls, not buying them. I think you may have misunderstood my comment. I made more at my one-off job I did this week, than I have from the market.
The guy I was working with bought calls that expire Dec 15. He's been buying SOYB, and ADM, are two that I remember. He watches what the ag folks in government do, and copies them, expecting more fuel mandates to be on the horizon.
Okay. That makes a lot more sense.

I'm not comfortable betting on government meddling the market. I don't mind if other people do, but it gives me a sleazy feeling.... like I would be betting on more corruption.

I like my condors on the stock indexes, but it's easier to do in a quieter market. So much volatility is hard on the nerves. The market got quite euphoric this Friday..... apparently, the market believes that the Fed will ease up on rate increases in order to avoid a deep recession and high unemployment. The market can be really stupid sometimes.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 19:53
sweetandsour wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 19:22

Okay. That makes a lot more sense.

I'm not comfortable betting on government meddling the market. I don't mind if other people do, but it gives me a sleazy feeling.... like I would be betting on more corruption.

I like my condors on the stock indexes, but it's easier to do in a quieter market. So much volatility is hard on the nerves. The market got quite euphoric this Friday..... apparently, the market believes that the Fed will ease up on rate increases in order to avoid a deep recession and high unemployment. The market can be really stupid sometimes.
Not quite euphoric enough to hit my sell limit for NVDA that I bought at 156. I've played around timing the bounce, but I need to learn more, still. And I can't buy-and-sell too often without Fidelity labeling me as a day trader. Their rules is their rules.