Stock Trading

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 07:04 An interesting aside, since it's just you and I on this thread anyway: Did you see where an organic chemistry prof at NYU got fired because students sent a petition to the deans, stating that the course was too hard? Geez, I would have signed a petition on one particular prof I had for general chemistry, for sure. My organic profs were great but the courses were difficult. They apparently wouldn't make it at NYU.
In every STEM program, there are a few courses that are designed to weed out the weak ones early. In engineering, etc, it's often Calc II: Methods of Integration. In chemistry, biology, and similar pre-med majors, it's Organic Chemistry.

It's a mercy, actually. If a student can't handle these courses at a brisk pace, then they won't make it through the major courses or succeed in those careers.

I don't know the particulars of this professor. He may be a bad teacher. His tests and grading may be notably more fierce than other professors. If the normally sharp "A"-students are unable to learn and thrive -- then the professor probably should go. Or maybe the "C" -students are being coddled such that we are doomed to be conquered by China.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

Dang, I wish I had held onto my DRLL for a couple more days!

My copper is recovering nicely. Copper is not as emotional as the equity markets. There must be some fundamental improvement that is driving this... something international, as Biden and the Fed haven't done anything to correct America's course.

The gap-and-surge in SPX and RUT forced me to make adjustments to my condor that expires tomorrow. I hope I have it right now. Another adjustment will find me stepping on the rake like Jocose's "expert trader." Right now, I have net $436 positive premium for the week ending tomorrow (Wed).

In my trading account, I've been trying to break out above $30,000 total balance all summer. It just won't budge. Holding copper and XLE during the drop and recent bottom (plus some rake-face trades on condors) have netted against my condor profits.

I should be happy that I've made some decent return this year. Don't be greedy.
==============================

I found this on ETF's that trade LNG futures:
https://www.investopedia.com/etfs/natural-gas-etfs/

You should check out UNG, which has the size, volume, and liquidity that we are looking for as traders.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 07:04 An interesting aside, since it's just you and I on this thread anyway: Did you see where an organic chemistry prof at NYU got fired because students sent a petition to the deans, stating that the course was too hard? Geez, I would have signed a petition on one particular prof I had for general chemistry, for sure. My organic profs were great but the courses were difficult. They apparently wouldn't make it at NYU.
This story showed up in my news feed:
Aspiring Medical Students At Top School Get Their Chemistry Professor Fired Because His Class Had High Standards

Sounds like the professor has a record of excellence spanning decades. The latest generation of students expect to get the grades they want without having to do the work to earn it. Professor says they aren't even showing up for class.

Professor is quite old enough to hang it up without any hardship. But reading between the lines, it looks like the man is passionate about teaching. Sadly, he lives in a culture that does not share his passion for learning.

I remember my college days.... I would never dream of missing a major class. There was just too much in every lecture to pass on it.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 18:39
Aspiring Medical Students At Top School Get Their Chemistry Professor Fired Because His Class Had High Standards

Sounds like the professor has a record of excellence spanning decades. The latest generation of students expect to get the grades they want without having to do the work to earn it. Professor says they aren't even showing up for class.

Professor is quite old enough to hang it up without any hardship. But reading between the lines, it looks like the man is passionate about teaching. Sadly, he lives in a culture that does not share his passion for learning.

I remember my college days.... I would never dream of missing a major class. There was just too much in every lecture to pass on it.
“We now see single digit scores and even zeros.”

I remember receiving a low score on the first organic (341) test I ever took. In fact the whole class did poorly. But as far as I remember there were no zeros. The prof was a lady who had served in the Air Force and worked for Monsanto Chemical. She walked into the classroom, closed the door behind her, passed out the graded exams, then after a few minutes she said to pass them all to the front. She then gathered them all up, walked over to the trash can and dumped them all into the trash. "I wouldn't pass my own mother if she made grades like these", she told us. Then she announced that there would be a re-test, one time and one time only. We all did much better on the re-test, and I learned how to study for an organic exam, and then I learned to really enjoy the class and the exams. And BTW, there was no entry into the classroom after the prof entered the room and closed that door. Times, and college kids, have really changed.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 19:19
Del wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 18:39

“We now see single digit scores and even zeros.”

I remember receiving a low score on the first organic (341) test I ever took. In fact the whole class did poorly. But as far as I remember there were no zeros. The prof was a lady who had served in the Air Force and worked for Monsanto Chemical. She walked into the classroom, closed the door behind her, passed out the graded exams, then after a few minutes she said to pass them all to the front. She then gathered them all up, walked over to the trash can and dumped them all into the trash. "I wouldn't pass my own mother if she made grades like these", she told us. Then she announced that there would be a re-test, one time and one time only. We all did much better on the re-test, and I learned how to study for an organic exam, and then I learned to really enjoy the class and the exams. And BTW, there was no entry into the classroom after the prof entered the room and closed that door. Times, and college kids, have really changed.
My organic professor opened the first lecture with an introduction to his teaching and testing philosophy. "We were going to cover a LOT of material. And the only way to measure it properly is to test for it ALL. Different student master different material at different rates. So it was going to take some getting used to, but average scores are going to be close to 30% -- not 70%. Often, the top score will around 50%."

It took some getting used to, but I respected that professor and I loved both semesters.

Come to think of it, my favorite calculus teacher had the same testing philosophy. 50% was a solid "A." Those tests were HARD -- but I really felt like the exams did a great job of measuring what I really knew and where my limits were.

By the time I got to Physical Chemistry and thermodynamics, I was ready. I wouldn't have survived if I had not been prepared.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

Back to market chatter:

The market surged on Tuesday because of the latest JOB OPENINGS report. Gummint expected 11 millions new jobs would be created this month... only 10 million new jobs were opened. Mr. Market figures that the employment demand is cooling and pretty soon we will have higher unemployment and -- YAY! -- the Fed will slow down with their rate increases.

Mr. Market is so dumb. There's more to economic growth than Fed rates and borrowing costs. We need people working and producing goods to sell. We need fully-employed and well-paid consumers to buy those goods. Mr. Market has already forgotten that a deep recession is our worst fear.

Affordable energy is our bottleneck. Until that is fixed, I expect high volatility with an overall downward trend.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

I hate seller's remorse. I keep telling myself to ignore XLE. I'm looking at LNG now, but most of my funds right now are in SPY, which dropped a little this morning. Anyway I have plenty of tax loss harvesting for the year now.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 08:27 I hate seller's remorse. I keep telling myself to ignore XLE. I'm looking at LNG now, but most of my funds right now are in SPY, which dropped a little this morning. Anyway I have plenty of tax loss harvesting for the year now.
Meh. This gust of exuberance won't last. Recession fears will kick back in next week when earnings season starts.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 08:41
sweetandsour wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 08:27 I hate seller's remorse. I keep telling myself to ignore XLE. I'm looking at LNG now, but most of my funds right now are in SPY, which dropped a little this morning. Anyway I have plenty of tax loss harvesting for the year now.
Meh. This gust of exuberance won't last. Recession fears will kick back in next week when earnings season starts.
I'm reading too much energy news.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 08:59
Del wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 08:41
I'm reading too much energy news.
Multiple things can be true at the same time. I expect the market will lose this gust soon. But what is the energy news saying?