Stock Trading

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Jocose »

CREDIT SUISSE: CFO: BANK IS AT CRITICAL MOMENT

U.S. STOCKS RECORD LONGEST RUN OF QUARTERLY DECLINES SINCE 2008 CRISIS

STOCKS ENDURE WORST SEPTEMBER SINCE 2002 IN THE WORST YEAR FOR THE MARKETS EVER
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

Jocose wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 21:49.

I feel that guy.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 20:35
Jocose wrote: 01 Oct 2022, 21:49.

I feel that guy.
Yeah, btdt. I sure wouldn't want to do stock trading for a living. But then, the work I did in industry wasn't much different, stress-wise and risk-wise both. It's a matter of how well you learn the ropes, discipline, and confidence, in any job I suppose.

BTW, watching XLE today. I may pick an exit price and sell my remaining shares.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 03:37 BTW, watching XLE today. I may pick an exit price and sell my remaining shares.
Wait and watch.

Energy stocks gapped up over the weekend. OPEC is supposed to meet this week to set output. Strong rumors that they want to cut production in order to hold prices up. They like $100 per barrel (Brent Crude jumped 4% today, $88/barrel).

XLE is reacting to current news. The usual rules of support and resistance are off the table for a bit.

Perhaps you might place a protective stop, so it sells if it drops below your selected price.

I wish I had held on to my DRLL from last week. I'd be $200 better off today.

Gasoline prices are going to go up and re-ignite inflation. The best way to balance this is to own some of the oil producing sector.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 09:25
sweetandsour wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 03:37 BTW, watching XLE today. I may pick an exit price and sell my remaining shares.
Wait and watch.

Energy stocks gapped up over the weekend. OPEC is supposed to meet this week to set output. Strong rumors that they want to cut production in order to hold prices up. They like $100 per barrel (Brent Crude jumped 4% today, $88/barrel).

XLE is reacting to current news. The usual rules of support and resistance are off the table for a bit.

Perhaps you might place a protective stop, so it sells if it drops below your selected price.

I wish I had held on to my DRLL from last week. I'd be $200 better off today.

Gasoline prices are going to go up and re-ignite inflation. The best way to balance this is to own some of the oil producing sector.
Too late, I sold it. Yes, it gapped up from where it was, and I was able to break even, including the dividend I collected last month. I didn't want to hold it any longer (in this play account anyway), and wanted to do something else with the funds. I'm keeping the powder dry, SPY (and XLE) will drop again before the election.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 11:04 Too late, I sold it. Yes, it gapped up from where it was, and I was able to break even, including the dividend I collected last month. I didn't want to hold it any longer (in this play account anyway), and wanted to do something else with the funds. I'm keeping the powder dry, SPY (and XLE) will drop again before the election.
Hmmm... my board doesn't alert me when an ETF pushes a dividend. Looks like $0.846/share on 9/19 -- is that what you recall?

I need to adjust the basis on my trade log!
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 12:06
sweetandsour wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 11:04 Too late, I sold it. Yes, it gapped up from where it was, and I was able to break even, including the dividend I collected last month. I didn't want to hold it any longer (in this play account anyway), and wanted to do something else with the funds. I'm keeping the powder dry, SPY (and XLE) will drop again before the election.
Hmmm... my board doesn't alert me when an ETF pushes a dividend. Looks like $0.846/share on 9/19 -- is that what you recall?

It's a good dividend, and worth holding onto really, and the stock price is still creeping up this morning pre-market. But SPY pre-market is taking off, which is where I want to be with this account right now. The question is how much volatility will there be as we get closer to mid-term election?
What stocks are you looking at now?
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 04 Oct 2022, 04:00
Del wrote: 03 Oct 2022, 12:06

It's a good dividend, and worth holding onto really, and the stock price is still creeping up this morning pre-market. But SPY pre-market is taking off, which is where I want to be with this account right now. The question is how much volatility will there be as we get closer to mid-term election?
What stocks are you looking at now?
October is earnings season again. There's going to be a stupendous lot of volatility as companies announce their forward outlook for earnings next year.

Personally, I expect to see a new low and another search for the bottom of this bear. I wouldn't be surprised if Dec 31 closes lower than Sep 30, and we have four failing quarters in a row.

SPY is up this pre-market 1.6%. Half-way between tech and energy sectors.
XLK tech is up 2%.
XLE energy is up 1.3%.

It's not that energy is lagging this morning. Rather, tech and broad markets are trying to catch up after energy's awesome show over the last 5 trading days.
====================

I don't look at stocks unless you point them out to me. I've never been much of a stock picker.

Russell 2000 is up 30 points = 1.9% overnight. Harrassing me but not really threatening my condor.... but it could, if it wants to.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

Not that it matters, but this is interesting.

The UN is calling for first-world nations -- and America, especially -- to slow down with rate hikes before the world gets thrown into a devastating global recession. Asia (and their billions of struggling people) will be clobbered especially hard.

‘We must change course’: UN warns that the world is on the brink of recession

In the tiny print, they urge us to work on supply-side solutions -- especially supply chains and perhaps maybe even energy.

Of course, the UN talkers can't say anything about how their constant hue and cry over URGENT ACTION™ to DO SOMETHING™ about CLIMATE CHANGE™ might have caused Old Joe to baby-slap America and the world economy with these sanctions.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

In this morning's pre-market briefing someone pointed to POSH, which is at 17.5 now, has a buy-out offer of 17.9. I'm not particularly interested; there's more to be gained elsewhere.

Energy news is all over the map right now, and so are futures. API and oil company execs change their views almost daily wrt future oil price. I was looking at LNG companies though; are there some LNG specific ETFs available?

An interesting aside, since it's just you and I on this thread anyway: Did you see where an organic chemistry prof at NYU got fired because students sent a petition to the deans, stating that the course was too hard? Geez, I would have signed a petition on one particular prof I had for general chemistry, for sure. My organic profs were great but the courses were difficult. They apparently wouldn't make it at NYU.