The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by GaryInVA »

Jocose wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 23:45 I have not bought a new knife at all this year.
Have you bought any used knives?
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by JimVH »

Switching to the Baby Butterbean for a bit.
Attachments
IMG_2397.jpeg
IMG_2397.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 2450 times
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

Today's knife
Opinel No.09, 4 3/4" closed, 8 1/4" overall - this is the biggest folder I carry, sharpest too, it looks new but it's not, just rarely carried

If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

GaryInVA wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 10:13
Jocose wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 23:45 I have not bought a new knife at all this year.
Not yet…
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

GaryInVA wrote: 15 Jan 2024, 10:13
I like old/vintage stuff...so most of the knives I buy are Used/pre-owned. I have an old Western on the way, that is an early 1960s knife. It is in poor condition, but the blades are full and I am gonna try my hand at cleaning it up...Or I might send it to a guy in Oregon...or...
:wink:
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

This is very sad...
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

Bloodhound wrote: 16 Jan 2024, 09:21 I like old/vintage stuff...so most of the knives I buy are Used/pre-owned. I have an old Western on the way, that is an early 1960s knife. It is in poor condition, but the blades are full and I am gonna try my hand at cleaning it up...
This reminds of a joke that fell flat a couple years ago. There was a kid at church, a CSU music student, very talented. One day he brought an antique violin to play and he was telling me all about it after the service. Made someplace in Europe, over a hundred years old. I said "Maybe when you get a job after school you can afford a new one." He wasn't amused, but like I said, he was a music student so he was a quiet, scrawny fella, so what was he going to do?
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

Todays Barlow of the day is a somewhat rare Schrade Walden era 214B from the 40’s
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

I am packing this one today. It is a Western Stockman. It is very small, just under 3 inches and it goes well in my dress slacks for work.

Funny story...just before the COVID shutdown, I was attending an after hours event at the state courts building. I was meeting my wife there, and there were a lot of state leaders political and judicial. I walked over from my office, about 10 min. I got to the entry of the building and realized that I had this little Western with me and I had to go thru security. I was in line and tried to tell the trooper that I had this knife...he was in a hurry and told me to step thru the magnometer. I did so with the knife in my hand...no beep...I went up to the other trooper at post and showed him the knife and asked if he would hang on to it for me...he said, and I quote, "put that thing in your pocket, that is not a knife, that's embarrassing"
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by sweetandsour »

Bloodhound wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 14:56 I am packing this one today. It is a Western Stockman. It is very small, just under 3 inches and it goes well in my dress slacks for work.

Funny story...just before the COVID shutdown, I was attending an after hours event at the state courts building. I was meeting my wife there, and there were a lot of state leaders political and judicial. I walked over from my office, about 10 min. I got to the entry of the building and realized that I had this little Western with me and I had to go thru security. I was in line and tried to tell the trooper that I had this knife...he was in a hurry and told me to step thru the magnometer. I did so with the knife in my hand...no beep...I went up to the other trooper at post and showed him the knife and asked if he would hang on to it for me...he said, and I quote, "put that thing in your pocket, that is not a knife, that's embarrassing"
I don't know how many small $10 pocket knives I've abandoned at airport security checkpoints.

BTW, the $25 Case Sodbuster I ordered arrived this week. Nice knife, and I've already used it on an apple or two, and an orange.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.