The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

Case Canoe (2015 if I’m reading the X’s correctly) is one of my favorite knives for EDC
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

Jocose wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 21:30 Image

Case Canoe (2015 if I’m reading the X’s correctly) is one of my favorite knives for EDC
That is a beauty! I love the jigged bone and the etching on the main blade!
Last edited by Bloodhound on 08 Nov 2023, 13:52, edited 2 times in total.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

Bloodhound wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 10:29
Jocose wrote: 07 Nov 2023, 21:30 Image

That is a beauty!
Tnx, I’d have a lot more Case knives in my collection if cost wasn’t prohibitive. They are a special treat every now and then.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

When I was younger, I carried a Barlow pocket knife almost every day...you could get them at any harware store for a couple of bucks. I either broke a blade or my little brother would steal it (That's another story), and I would replace it with another Barlow. I didn't know that any quality knife companies built that style. Well when I was able to afford a little nicer quality knife, I kind of forgot about the Barlow shape. I am a big fan of the Old "Western" brand, that was an off shoot of "Case", and made just up the road in Boulder, Colorado. Then this past week, I ran across a Westerm Barlow...well it had to come home with me...here is the latest and what will likely be the last knife I buy in 2023. Western dates are a little hard to figure, but it looks like it may have been made in the late 70s. I'll work on polishing the blades and it will join my EDC pile/rotation.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by JimVH »

Bloodhound wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 13:23 When I was younger, I carried a Barlow pocket knife almost every day...you could get them at any harware store for a couple of bucks. I either broke a blade or my little brother would steal it (That's another story), and I would replace it with another Barlow. I didn't know that any quality knife companies built that style. Well when I was able to afford a little nicer quality knife, I kind of forgot about the Barlow shape. I am a big fan of the Old "Western" brand, that was an off shoot of "Case", and made just up the road in Boulder, Colorado. Then this past week, I ran across a Westerm Barlow...well it had to come home with me...here is the latest and what will likely be the last knife I buy in 2023. Western dates are a little hard to figure, but it looks like it may have been made in the late 70s. I'll work on polishing the blades and it will join my EDC pile/rotation.
Nice.

My dad carried that color Barlow for a long time when I was young. It seems like that's what many of the old timers carried, too. The little blade on dad's had been sharpened so much it looked more like a punch than a blade. I wonder what ever happened to it.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

The Barlow shape seems to have fallen out of favor. I have a yuge one in my toolbox that's probably 8" long when open.

Here's a 'fishing' knife I bought at a local auction a couple weeks ago. I kept one just like it in the tackle box when I was kid.

If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

FredS wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 06:32 The Barlow shape seems to have fallen out of favor.

I’ve reported this post to goose55, CPS’s minister of mis and disinformation for further review.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

My Rough Rider Barlow. This is an amazingly good knife considering it’s made in China. The 440 is razor sharp, no wobble and has excellent snap, all in all a quality knife, affordable too!
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

Bloodhound wrote: 08 Nov 2023, 13:23 When I was younger, I carried a Barlow pocket knife almost every day...you could get them at any harware store for a couple of bucks. I either broke a blade or my little brother would steal it (That's another story), and I would replace it with another Barlow. I didn't know that any quality knife companies built that style. Well when I was able to afford a little nicer quality knife, I kind of forgot about the Barlow shape. I am a big fan of the Old "Western" brand, that was an off shoot of "Case", and made just up the road in Boulder, Colorado. Then this past week, I ran across a Westerm Barlow...well it had to come home with me...here is the latest and what will likely be the last knife I buy in 2023. Western dates are a little hard to figure, but it looks like it may have been made in the late 70s. I'll work on polishing the blades and it will join my EDC pile/rotation.
I’m now looking at these on the bay. Yer a bad influence.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by JimVH »

Jocose wrote: 09 Nov 2023, 15:17
I’m now looking at these on the bay. Yer a bad influence.
This place is rich with enablers.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix