The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

You know how, on the expected delivery day for some knives you bought online, your dogs let you know someone delivered a package on the front porch, so you bounce down the stairs and open the door, only to find it's a meal kit box? I hate when that happens.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by sweetandsour »

FredS wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 11:51 You know how, on the expected delivery day for some knives you bought online, your dogs let you know someone delivered a package on the front porch, so you bounce down the stairs and open the door, only to find it's a meal kit box? I hate when that happens.
I can only imagine. BTW, what meal kit do you use? I'd never heard of it until a guy on a bird dog forum I look at was gifted a month-or-so of meals from his daughter.

WRT knives, I received my Case Mini Sodbuster a few weeks ago and it's been a good carry knife so-far. Been a long time since I had a good knife in my pocket.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

sweetandsour wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 12:17 I can only imagine. BTW, what meal kit do you use? I'd never heard of it until a guy on a bird dog forum I look at was gifted a month-or-so of meals from his daughter.
These things are like cell phone and credit card companies with their enticing offers. They'll each send offers of "50 free dinners and a case of wine" if you switch brands. We've done Hello Fresh for a long time but Mrs FredS just switched it up to Green Chef. Since we're no longer feeding a pack of teenagers, these deals are actually pretty reasonable for just the two of us. In our case, they're portioned for two so it saves buying a whole jar of some unusual spice or a brick of stout cheese that would go bad before we use it all. We get three a week.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Brigid
Sunday School Student

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Brigid »

My mother gave me a gorgeous knife inlaid with brontosaurus bone last year. A delight to use but I have been terrified to carry it. So: Where do y’all go to buy a nice sheath for a pocket knife? Not too nice, mind. But something protective, with a clip, that will make sure I don’t lose my fancy pocket knife, hopefully $10-30. Any ideas?
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

Yo, Miss B.

Pocket knife sheaths are also called pouches and slips. My favorite online knife shop has some. Not sure about a clip but they have a few from Italy - Maniago Knife Makers or MKM - that have a magnetic flap arrangement that may work if they're the right size for your knife.

https://www.chicagoknifeworks.com/page/ ... erpage=150
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

Have I mentioned I like Sodbusters? These are my current favorite EDCs.

Evidently Case has the name trademarked so a lot of others are named dirt buster, clod buster, range buster, bull buster, farm hand, farmer, rancher, and country cousin. These are all the jr size which is 3 5/8" closed, except the top one which is a $5 full size from Pakistan. Pictured are knives from Case, Kissing Crane, Buck Creek, German Bull, Hen & Rooster, Schrade, and Marbles, as well as the no-name Pakistani knife. Most of the black ones have buffalo horn covers, the white and red ones are bone and the yellows are plastic.

Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

You have a few Sodbusters like Jocose has a few Barlows :shock:
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

Bloodhound wrote: 21 Feb 2024, 11:58 You have a few Sodbusters like Jocose has a few Barlows :shock:
I laughed out loud. Nice knives BTW, FredS!
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

I have a quick story about this knife. It is a Schrade LB7 sold in a Sears Craftsman box and with a Craftsman marked sheath, (my step dad was a Sears/Craftsman freak). I was 14 when I got it for my birthday, the first part of March (1977). Later that month my family drove down to visit my Grandmother for Easter in Phoenix. I had a school thing and wasn't able to leave with my family when they drove, so they bought me a plane ticket. Only my 2nd time on a plane, and my first time to fly alone. Flew out of LA-X, and yup, I had my new knife with me, on my belt. Security made me put in my duffle bag and check the bag. I was sure that they were gonna lose it, but it was there when I picked up my bag. My step dad chewed my butt for bringing the knife and making him wait for baggage, when he had told me to just carry my small bag on the plane. But I had my trusty knife with me in the wilds of Arizona. I still have the knife and it has a place of honor in my gun safe on the knife shelf.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by sweetandsour »

Bloodhound wrote: 20 Mar 2024, 15:00 I have a quick story about this knife. It is a Schrade LB7 sold in a Sears Craftsman box and with a Craftsman marked sheath, (my step dad was a Sears/Craftsman freak). I was 14 when I got it for my birthday, the first part of March (1977). Later that month my family drove down to visit my Grandmother for Easter in Phoenix. I had a school thing and wasn't able to leave with my family when they drove, so they bought me a plane ticket. Only my 2nd time on a plane, and my first time to fly alone. Flew out of LA-X, and yup, I had my new knife with me, on my belt. Security made me put in my duffle bag and check the bag. I was sure that they were gonna lose it, but it was there when I picked up my bag. My step dad chewed my butt for bringing the knife and making him wait for baggage, when he had told me to just carry my small bag on the plane. But I had my trusty knife with me in the wilds of Arizona. I still have the knife and it has a place of honor in my gun safe on the knife shelf.
I've owned a Schrade like that one before. And I've lost many-a-$10 knives to the box at airport security checkpoints. Only once that I remember did I run a good knife back to my vehicle rather than throw it into the bin, before I began carrying cheap knives and remembering to put them into checked luggage. Finally I just travelled without a knife when travelling by air.

WRT to Craftsman, back in the 70s my brother in law worked briefly for a local city in the water & sewer dept, and one time when they were digging up a line or trenching he dug up an old Craftsman knife that had been buried for who knows how long, and was pretty much completely rusted. He dusted the knife off as best he could then returned it to the local Sears store, and they swapped it out and gave him a brand new knife of similar design.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.