The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by JimVH »

Found some more cool stuff from my FIL:

An almost complete display of Imperial Frontier series knives. Two folders are missing, but the rest are in unused condition. The fixed hunter ha a little corrosion on the brass pins, but the filet knife is pristine. All are US made. The Sportsman Lockback (upper right) was made from '77-'82.

Also in the box was a Boker (Solingen-Germany) Tree Brand Classic 2020. The handle and bolsters ha some pocket wear, but the blades are nearly pristine. It wasn't like him to carry anything this big, so I'm curious what the story is. The google tells me this Classic Wood model was made from '78-'84.

My guess is that his hardware store updated their displays in the early 80's and he brought this stuff home. He was also given retired hardware by the vendors fairly often. Who knows?
Attachments
k4.jpg
k4.jpg (82.03 KiB) Viewed 22931 times
k3.jpg
k3.jpg (86.85 KiB) Viewed 22931 times
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

Yes! Very cool stuff
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

That's too cool for school Jim. What a treat it is to have treasures from your family history.

Also - I've gone deep down this rabbit hole and have bought dozens of knives over the last few months, as well as gathering those I already had into one big pile. I've started using an app named iCollect to catalog this mess. Took a while to set up and format for my use, but it's a fun way to spend a winters evening. Having this list in my pocket should help me avoid buying duplicates on the ebay or at knife shows.

Also - If anyone is looking for Case Sod Buster Jr's, there's a website called Blade Matrix that has 'em in carbon steel for $25. That's a smokin' hot deal. Their offerings are all over the place and their website is a little outdated, but if you know what you're looking for and what it's worth, it can be a good place to pick up a bargain.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by JimVH »

Fred's post post inspired me to go look for my little yellow Sod Buster. Found it. Hadn't carried it in quite a while and the first thing I noticed is how much the CV blade has darkened, and in a splotchy manner. I'll bet I used it to cut an apple or something and didn't wipe the blade good. This one has a really good snap when opened, too. It's also full of pocket lint. Better go clean it up a bit.

I had forgotten what a great little knife it is.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

JimVH wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 08:57 . . . Hadn't carried it in quite a while and the first thing I noticed is how much the CV blade has darkened, and in a splotchy manner. I'll bet I used it to skin a buck or something and didn't wipe the blade good. . .
fixed it for you
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by sweetandsour »

FredS wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 06:49 That's too cool for school Jim. What a treat it is to have treasures from your family history.

Also - I've gone deep down this rabbit hole and have bought dozens of knives over the last few months, as well as gathering those I already had into one big pile. I've started using an app named iCollect to catalog this mess. Took a while to set up and format for my use, but it's a fun way to spend a winters evening. Having this list in my pocket should help me avoid buying duplicates on the ebay or at knife shows.

Also - If anyone is looking for Case Sod Buster Jr's, there's a website called Blade Matrix that has 'em in carbon steel for $25. That's a smokin' hot deal. Their offerings are all over the place and their website is a little outdated, but if you know what you're looking for and what it's worth, it can be a good place to pick up a bargain.
I found the blade matrix site, but no Case Sod Buster for $25. I did find one elsewhere for $39; don't know how much shipping is.

Edit: NM I found it and ordered one. Thanks for the tip, I've been looking for a carry knife like this.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by coco »

FredS wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 09:08
JimVH wrote: 12 Jan 2024, 08:57 . . . Hadn't carried it in quite a while and the first thing I noticed is how much the CV blade has darkened, and in a splotchy manner. I'll bet I used it to skin a goat or something and didn't wipe the blade good. . .
fixed it for you
fixed it again
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

Today's knife
Rough Ryder peanut 2 7/8" closed, 4 7/8" overall - sparkly, a good church knife

Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

I have not bought a new knife at all this year.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

Jocose wrote: 14 Jan 2024, 23:45 I have not bought a new knife at all this year.
Fifteen days on the wagon. Your determination is admirable.

I suggest you never visit this thread again or you'll surely crack.