Peddlers

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Peddlers

Post by GaryInVA »

This here is a thread for all things bicycles. Pictures, stories (true and made up), working on, modifying.

I'll start, when I picked up my bike from the shop on Saturday after they straightened out the derailleur hanger, I had a young guy ring up the bill. We were talking about bikes and I could tell he was what cyclists call a weight weenie (buys lightweight stuff no matter the cost). He looked at my bike and said "That's got a heavy frame." I patted my belly and said "So do I".

And thanks to mdpiper for the name of this thread.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Peddlers

Post by GaryInVA »

I'm looking to buy some more road worthy tires for the Surly. Right now it has off road tires that can only be pumped up to 45psi. Looking for something smoother that can handle 60-70 psi.

The hunt begins.

― Albert Einstein
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Peddlers

Post by Biff »

so this random, scetchy guy knocked on the door wanting to know if I could use a brush or two. Peddlers..... pffff.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
mdpiper
Sunday School Student

Peddlers

Post by mdpiper »

GaryInVA wrote: 08 May 2022, 05:15 I'm looking to buy some more road worthy tires for the Surly. Right now it has off road tires that can only be pumped up to 45psi. Looking for something smoother that can handle 60-70 psi.

The hunt begins.
Are you looking for gravel tires or road tires? If gravel, I’ve heard the Panaracer Gravel Kings are top notch. Also, are you going tubeless?
…..
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Peddlers

Post by FredS »

Biff wrote: 08 May 2022, 22:48 so this random, scetchy guy knocked on the door wanting to know if I could use a brush or two. Peddlers..... pffff.
There it is. I was hoping I wasn't the only one old enough to think this thread was about door-to-door salesmen.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Peddlers

Post by GaryInVA »

mdpiper wrote: 09 May 2022, 08:39
GaryInVA wrote: 08 May 2022, 05:15 I'm looking to buy some more road worthy tires for the Surly. Right now it has off road tires that can only be pumped up to 45psi. Looking for something smoother that can handle 60-70 psi.

The hunt begins.
Are you looking for gravel tires or road tires? If gravel, I’ve heard the Panaracer Gravel Kings are top notch. Also, are you going tubeless?
Looking to do training rides with friends on pavement. Current wheelset is 27.5 with 40mm inner width. Can go tubeless.

― Albert Einstein
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Peddlers

Post by GaryInVA »

Think I found my tire. Schwalbe G-One, 27.5 x 2". Max 70psi.
Attachments
Schwalbe G-One.jpg
Schwalbe G-One.jpg (6.05 KiB) Viewed 1101 times

― Albert Einstein
cobster
Sunday School Student

Peddlers

Post by cobster »

My blind friend John runs a bike shop in his back yard and any bike under 24" is given away to lil'kids. One winter a Father lost his job so Christmas was canceled.
Untill John found out! The family woke up Christmass morning to 4 new bikes on the front porch.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Peddlers

Post by GaryInVA »

Tire buying is been put off because I got an email from Planet X bicycles website and they have a 29er wheelset (mine are 27.5") that is deeply discounted because of damage to the stickers on the rims. Even with shipping from England it's a great deal. I wanted a second wheelset that was a 29er so I could swap wheels for different situations instead of changing tires.

― Albert Einstein
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Peddlers

Post by coco »

I recommend slicks for on-road, or a combination tire that is slick in the middle with a little tread on the sides. Hydroplaning is simply not a problem for 2.5" tires if you keep it under 80 MPH. Tread only helps when the ground is deformable in some way (sand, pebbles, mud, etc.). Tread doesn't help if there is no loose debris for it to grab.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.