Absolutely useless facts about you nobody cares about

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by GaryInVA »

JimVH wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 09:48 Image
My dad always said that we had a relative at the Alamo, Jorge. Us kids would say, "but Jorge was on the outside trying to get in."
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

Cool story. I know at least two of you around here will care. And for those that don't, at least ponder a 4000 horsepower steamboat.

From Twitter/x:
Traces of Texas - Purveyor of Texas history and culture. Cowboy boots junkie and advocate of all things Lone Star. 100% organic, free-range Texas content. A 100% apolitical feed
@TracesofTexas

"In advance of my embarkation on the story of this photo you need to know that, before there was a Lake Austin, there was another lake at the same site named Lake McDonald, which was a reservoir formed by the construction of Austin Dam between 1890 and 1893. In 1900 a heavy rainstorm overwhelmed and destroyed the first Austin Dam, causing extensive flooding and also causing Lake McDonald to vanish. The dam began to be rebuilt in 1915, but repairs were abandoned because of a contract dispute, and the unfinished dam was again destroyed in a heavy storm later that year. In 1938 the Lower Colorado River Authority began building the Tom Miller Dam; the dam was completed and the lake filled in 1939. Got that? Okay.

This photo shows the well-known steamboat Ben Hur, which was an iconic vessel that plied the waters near Austin from 1893 to 1900. Managed by the Lake Navigation Company, it embarked on two daily voyages covering a 60-mile circuit to Lake McDonald’s farthest point, offering both a daytime journey and a nocturnal cruise that concluded at midnight. The steamboat was a beloved attraction for both visitors and local residents. Constructed in 1892, the Ben Hur measured 181 feet in length and had a beam of 59 feet. It boasted impressive machinery, including four boilers each rated at 1,000 horsepower, massive 22-foot wheels, three expansive decks, and skylights that adorned the passenger cabins. The steamboat could accommodate up to 2,000 individuals.

The Ben Hur was not just a mode of transport; it was a venue for entertainment and social gatherings. Guests could enjoy meals, dance to music, and occasionally be treated to Vaudeville performances. The steamboat was known for hosting special events like picnics and excursions and even served as a platform for distinguished statesmen, opera shows, celebrated orchestras, and global regattas.

Tragically, the steamboat met its demise due to the aforementioned catastrophic 1900 Austin dam disaster, often referred to as the failure of “The Great Granite Dam.” The dam’s collapse emptied the Lake McDonald reservoir and plunged Austin into an extended period without electricity, following a deluge that surged eleven feet above the dam’s summit.

Decades later, remnants of the old dam remain, strewn across the riverbed and now part of Red Bud Isle. The Ben Hur itself was found fragmented on a hillside. Within months, it was scavenged, its engines extracted and sold off. Over time, the remaining pieces of the steamboat vanished as the wood and timbers were repurposed for various building endeavors.

This great photo courtesy the Austin History Center, Austin Public Library Check it out the next time you find yourself in the capital city with a couple of hours to spare. It's a super interesting place!

A GREAT photo, don't y'all think?"
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

JimVH wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 15:14 Cool story. I know at least two of you around here will care. And for those that don't, at least ponder a 4000 horsepower steamboat.

From Twitter/x:
Traces of Texas - Purveyor of Texas history and culture. Cowboy boots junkie and advocate of all things Lone Star. 100% organic, free-range Texas content. A 100% apolitical feed
@TracesofTexas

"In advance of my embarkation on the story of this photo you need to know that, before there was a Lake Austin, there was another lake at the same site named Lake McDonald, which was a reservoir formed by the construction of Austin Dam between 1890 and 1893. In 1900 a heavy rainstorm overwhelmed and destroyed the first Austin Dam, causing extensive flooding and also causing Lake McDonald to vanish. The dam began to be rebuilt in 1915, but repairs were abandoned because of a contract dispute, and the unfinished dam was again destroyed in a heavy storm later that year. In 1938 the Lower Colorado River Authority began building the Tom Miller Dam; the dam was completed and the lake filled in 1939. Got that? Okay.

This photo shows the well-known steamboat Ben Hur, which was an iconic vessel that plied the waters near Austin from 1893 to 1900. Managed by the Lake Navigation Company, it embarked on two daily voyages covering a 60-mile circuit to Lake McDonald’s farthest point, offering both a daytime journey and a nocturnal cruise that concluded at midnight. The steamboat was a beloved attraction for both visitors and local residents. Constructed in 1892, the Ben Hur measured 181 feet in length and had a beam of 59 feet. It boasted impressive machinery, including four boilers each rated at 1,000 horsepower, massive 22-foot wheels, three expansive decks, and skylights that adorned the passenger cabins. The steamboat could accommodate up to 2,000 individuals.

The Ben Hur was not just a mode of transport; it was a venue for entertainment and social gatherings. Guests could enjoy meals, dance to music, and occasionally be treated to Vaudeville performances. The steamboat was known for hosting special events like picnics and excursions and even served as a platform for distinguished statesmen, opera shows, celebrated orchestras, and global regattas.

Tragically, the steamboat met its demise due to the aforementioned catastrophic 1900 Austin dam disaster, often referred to as the failure of “The Great Granite Dam.” The dam’s collapse emptied the Lake McDonald reservoir and plunged Austin into an extended period without electricity, following a deluge that surged eleven feet above the dam’s summit.

Decades later, remnants of the old dam remain, strewn across the riverbed and now part of Red Bud Isle. The Ben Hur itself was found fragmented on a hillside. Within months, it was scavenged, its engines extracted and sold off. Over time, the remaining pieces of the steamboat vanished as the wood and timbers were repurposed for various building endeavors.

This great photo courtesy the Austin History Center, Austin Public Library Check it out the next time you find yourself in the capital city with a couple of hours to spare. It's a super interesting place!

A GREAT photo, don't y'all think?"
Speaking of ships, the Battleship Texas got back into the water on Tuesday this week, in Galveston.

The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

I'm staring down the barrel at 71.
Tomorrow I'll be 71 year old toast.
This perturbs me.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

JimVH wrote: 07 Mar 2024, 15:14 Cool story. I know at least two of you around here will care. And for those that don't, at least ponder a 4000 horsepower steamboat.
I like steamboats.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Hovannes wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 07:29 I'm staring down the barrel at 71.
This perturbs me.
Happy Birthday!
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

From one March kid to another...Happy Brithday
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

Bloodhound wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 13:35 From one March kid to another...Happy Brithday
Back at you! :D
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 08:41
Hovannes wrote: 09 Mar 2024, 07:29 I'm staring down the barrel at 71.
This perturbs me.
Happy Birthday!
+1
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.