Absolutely useless facts about you nobody cares about

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

My grandfather farmed in Missouri. He grew up working with mules. An 8N was his first tractor.

When I was a kid in the '60's, it was already his oldest and smallest farm machine -- but still his favorite. It pulled the utility trailers filled with whatever, like trash.

The farm handed down to my uncle and now my cousin. Next time I see him, I'll have to ask if that old Ford tractor is still in service.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

joegoat wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 02:15
Hugo Drax wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 11:04
joegoat wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 08:54 I just hauled the trash out with the Ford 8N.
Our Ford 8n was trash. Prototype. How we ended up with it I'll never know. Best tractor ever made and we owned the lemon, lol.
It happens. Most N series Ford's have had a half dozen owners by now and at least one of those was a duct tape and a prayer mechanic. Their bandaid fixed won't last forever.
There are more beautiful tractors. There are tractors that are more fun to drive, more powerful, and more comfortable to operate, but none match the 8N for value, ruggedness, and utility.
This was in '84, but yeah, spot on. When that thing worked, it was great. But reliability was horse poo. Like I said though, it was a prototype so it's not even fair to slag it. The Jubilee we replaced it with was great.
Weenies are us.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

i had a 9n.
I had loaned it to a friend for a few days.
I went out to their place to see how they were doing and was told to take it now because they were getting foreclosed.
I speed back, hitched up the flatbed trailer and when I returned they were gone, and a sheriff's deputy and bank dude were driving up the lane when I got the 9n started, but there were no ramps so I dragged a piece of plywood over, took a running start and got the 9n aboard.
banker dude shouted "What are you doing with that?"
I yelled back "I own it!" and hit the gas.

Afterwards, I was keeping it at another friend's house.
His elderly mom got apparently got tired of looking at it, and sold it to somebody driving by :roll:
The dear old lady gave me the $200.
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by ChildOfGod »

Feeling utterly blessed. I went to church this Sunday and was invited to a weekly gathering of Christian pipe smokers. It was like winning the lottery.
Wishing you God's very best!
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

ChildOfGod wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 07:48 Feeling utterly blessed. I went to church this Sunday and was invited to a weekly gathering of Christian pipe smokers. It was like winning the lottery.
:D :D :D
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
JudgeRusty
Sunday School Student

Post by JudgeRusty »

Hugo Drax wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 06:35
Hugo Drax wrote: 05 Oct 2022, 11:04

Our Ford 8n was trash. Prototype. How we ended up with it I'll never know. Best tractor ever made and we owned the lemon, lol.
It happens. Most N series Ford's have had a half dozen owners by now and at least one of those was a duct tape and a prayer mechanic. Their bandaid fixed won't last forever.
There are more beautiful tractors. There are tractors that are more fun to drive, more powerful, and more comfortable to operate, but none match the 8N for value, ruggedness, and utility.
This was in '84, but yeah, spot on. When that thing worked, it was great. But reliability was horse poo. Like I said though, it was a prototype so it's not even fair to slag it. The Jubilee we replaced it with was great.
Jubilee lacking hi/lo range transmission and lift inconsistencies keep it from being a perfect tractor.

I am beginning to shop for what all tractor owners need: another tractor. I want one for all the odd jobs around here so that I do not have to disconnect the finish mower from the Jubilee as often.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

JudgeRusty wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 07:31
Hugo Drax wrote: 06 Oct 2022, 06:35

Jubilee lacking hi/lo range transmission and lift inconsistencies keep it from being a perfect tractor.

I am beginning to shop for what all tractor owners need: another tractor. I want one for all the odd jobs around here so that I do not have to disconnect the finish mower from the Jubilee as often.
Maybe we need a tractor thread?
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

I got moved to an old crap-hole of a building at work. It's horrible, truly. We have buckets all over the place to catch the rain water, office furniture that should be in a dumpster, and carpet that can grow weeds. We are the last lot on a dead-end street and occasionally come to work to find spent condoms an drug paraphernalia in the parking lot. Nice neighborhood. On the other side, however, our parking lot butts-up to a fenced wooded area with deer and cattle.

Yesterday about this time I watched a couple of deer wander through the brush and just now walked outside and fed a granola bar to a friendly little Charolais heifer I'm calling Blanca. We're buds now.

Seems like a fair trade-off. I could like it here.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

I'm currently THE TOP POSTER OF THE MONTH.

What did I win?
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Jocose wrote: 07 Oct 2022, 15:20 I'm currently THE TOP POSTER OF THE MONTH.

What did I win?
Next time you get to shoot first.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.