What Are You Reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

What Are You Reading?

Post by sweetandsour »

Recently completed West with the Night by Beryl Markham. Very well written.

Now reading Up in the Old Hotel by Joseph Mitchell.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

What Are You Reading?

Post by jmg »

Acts.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

What Are You Reading?

Post by Hugo Drax »

jmg wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 21:40Acts.
Jinx! You owe me a Coke.
Weenies are us.
gaining_age
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

What Are You Reading?

Post by gaining_age »

Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

What Are You Reading?

Post by Biff »

CPS
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

What Are You Reading?

Post by Del »

Too many books with too many bookmarks.

Our local Chesterton Society is reading The Thing: Why I Am a Catholic.
Wosbald

What Are You Reading?

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Here's the update to my CPS-hiatus reading:

=========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Jul 24, 2021

Rereading:
Difference and Repetition by Gilles Deleuze

=========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Aug 12, 2021

Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics • Letter to Marcus Herz, February 1772 by Immanuel Kant

Aug 17, 2021

Critique of Pure Reason: Unified Edition (with all variants from the 1781 and 1787 editions) by Immanuel Kant (tr. Pluhar)

Oct 06, 2021

Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals • On a Supposed Right to Lie because of Philanthropic Concerns by Immanuel Kant

Oct 09, 2021

Critique of Practical Reason by Immanuel Kant (tr. Pluhar)

Oct 17, 2021

Critique of Judgment by Immanuel Kant (tr. Pluhar)

Nov 07, 2021

Rereading:
Kant's Critical Philosophy: The Doctrine of the Faculties by Gilles Deleuze

Nov 10, 2021

Religion within the Bounds of Bare Reason by Immanuel Kant (tr. Pluhar)

Nov 19, 2021

Introductions to the 'Wissenschaftslehre' • Other Writings (1797-1800) by J.G. Fichte

Dec 01, 2021

System of Transcendental Idealism (1800) by F.W.J. Schelling

Dec 31, 2021

Philosophical Investigations into the Essence of Human Freedom by F.W.J. Schelling

Jan 10, 2022

The Phenomenology of Spirit by G.W.F Hegel (tr. Miller)

Apr 05, 2022

The Encyclopaedia Logic: Part Ⅰ of the 'Encyclopaedia of Philosophical Sciences' with the Zusätze by G.W.F. Hegel

… along with …

Picturing Hegel: An Illustrated Guide to Hegel's 'Encyclopaedia Logic' by Julie E. Maybee

Jun 30, 2022

Science of Logic by G.W.F. Hegel (tr. Miller)

… along with …

A Commentary to Hegel's 'Science of Logic' by David Gray Carlson

Usually it takes me 3-4 weeks to finish a 800+ pg book. In contrast, even reading it alongside the Commentary, I've been on Hegel's Science of Logic for the last 5 months, and I'm only just shy of page 500.

Oh, my head.

Wosbald

What Are You Reading?

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Wosbald wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 00:31Here's the update to my CPS-hiatus reading:

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

[…]

Jun 30, 2022

… along with …

Usually it takes me 3-4 weeks to finish a 800+ pg book. In contrast, even reading it alongside the Commentary, I've been on Hegel's Science of Logic for the last 5 months, and I'm only just shy of page 500.

Oh, my head.

Done. Finally.

Ten months. Ten looong months.

And now, onward.

Elements of the Philosophy of Right by G.W.F. Hegel

… along with …

Routledge Philosophy GuideBook to Hegel and the Philosophy of Right by Dudley Knowles

sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

What Are You Reading?

Post by sweetandsour »

Wosbald wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 21:18 +JMJ+
Wosbald wrote: 18 Nov 2022, 00:31Here's the update to my CPS-hiatus reading:

[…]

Jun 30, 2022

… along with …

Oh, my head.

Done. Finally.

Ten months. Ten looong months.

And now, onward.

Elements of the Philosophy of Right by G.W.F. Hegel

… along with …

Routledge Philosophy GuideBook to Hegel and the Philosophy of Right by Dudley Knowles

Wos, are you pleasure reading? Or teaching classes from these texts. (Or perhaps both.)
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Wosbald

What Are You Reading?

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
sweetandsour wrote: 28 Apr 2023, 00:12 Wos, are you pleasure reading? Or teaching classes from these texts. (Or perhaps both.)
Though Theology has its delectations and Philosophy its consolations, "pleasure" can sometimes (especially in Hegel) be in short supply. And though I think I have the knowledge-base to take a stab at teaching (I prolly got a rough analogue to a Bachelor's in Theology and a Master's in Philosophy), I'm not sure I've the skill-set or disposition for it.

Nevertheless, "pleasure" must cover it, considering that without at least a soupçon of intermittent joy, I'd have never suffered a 10 month wrestling-match with the text.