What Are You Reading?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

What Are You Reading?

Post by coco »

An Introduction to Ancient Mesopotamian Religion by Tammi J. Schneider
Pretty good overview of extrabiblical knowledge about religion in Assyria and Babylon
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

What Are You Reading?

Post by Bloodhound »

Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

What Are You Reading?

Post by tuttle »

I had a major life change earlier this year that led to my habit of daily reading time being severely altered. It's been tough trying to re-establish a new reading time, so books are being read at a much slower rate. Here's what I'm currently reading:

The Great God Pan and Other Horror Stories by Arthur Machen, almost done with this one.

English Literature in the Sixteenth Century by C.S. Lewis, still in the intro (it's a really long intro!)

Norm MacDonald Based on a True Story by Norm MacDonald, I'm a few chapters in. Rich in humor. I'm trying not to fly through it.

The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, still in the intro
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

What Are You Reading?

Post by JimVH »

“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Del
Usher
Usher

What Are You Reading?

Post by Del »

tuttle wrote: 12 May 2022, 06:27 The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, still in the intro
Pipeson and I are huge fans of Boethius. Pipeson read it in high school.... and it was the first book that he wanted to re-read after he finished his philosophy & theology training, being free to read whatever he wanted.

Western civilization owes a great debt to Boethius. He devised the classical system of education. He preserved Plato and Pythagoras for us. He was working on translating Aristotle when he was executed, so Aristotle had to wait until the Crusades to be rediscovered. Still, we had Aristotle's Logic, thanks to Boethius. We knew enough to rejoice when the works of Aristotle were found among the Arab scholars.
========================================
Lady Philosophy is, of course, a Marian character. You can avoid noticing this, if you must.

Boethius guides us to understand why so many people seek happiness in accumulating wealth, power, pleasure, or the esteem of others. But these can be lost quickly. Boethius had and lost them all.

What we really want is "blessedness," which means living in virtue and resting in friendship with God. A man cannot be deprived of these, even as Boethius languishes in prison, humiliated and awaiting execution.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

What Are You Reading?

Post by tuttle »

Del wrote: 13 May 2022, 07:00
tuttle wrote: 12 May 2022, 06:27 The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius, still in the intro
Pipeson and I are huge fans of Boethius. Pipeson read it in high school.... and it was the first book that he wanted to re-read after he finished his philosophy & theology training, being free to read whatever he wanted.

Western civilization owes a great debt to Boethius. He devised the classical system of education. He preserved Plato and Pythagoras for us. He was working on translating Aristotle when he was executed, so Aristotle had to wait until the Crusades to be rediscovered. Still, we had Aristotle's Logic, thanks to Boethius. We knew enough to rejoice when the works of Aristotle were found among the Arab scholars.
Lady Philosophy is, of course, a Marian character. You can avoid noticing this, if you must.

Boethius guides us to understand why so many people seek happiness in accumulating wealth, power, pleasure, or the esteem of others. But these can be lost quickly. Boethius had and lost them all.

What we really want is "blessedness," which means living in virtue and resting in friendship with God. A man cannot be deprived of these, even as Boethius languishes in prison, humiliated and awaiting execution.
Lewis led me to Boethius. If I recall, he said Boethius was the last great man of the Classical age and it was as if he were a man running through a burning library stuffing as much as he could under his arms to preserve for us on his way out.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Del
Usher
Usher

What Are You Reading?

Post by Del »

tuttle wrote: 13 May 2022, 08:08
Del wrote: 13 May 2022, 07:00

Lewis led me to Boethius. If I recall, he said Boethius was the last great man of the Classical age and it was as if he were a man running through a burning library stuffing as much as he could under his arms to preserve for us on his way out.
Yes. Lewis also said that up until a few decades before his time, every man who called himself "educated" knew Boethius -- and loved him.

The Consolation of Philosophy is a great summary of ancient wisdom, and also very easy to understand and enjoy.

Boethius lived in an age much like our own. The culture was willfully committing suicide, forgetting its past. Boethius realized this when he, as vice-regent to the Emperor, was unable to find anyone to teach Greek to his children. He committed to the project of seeing the great works translated into Latin for preservation.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

What Are You Reading?

Post by Biff »

This:
AI.jpg
AI.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
Bit of a slog. I do NOT like German, critical thinking, scholars.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Rainier
Sunday School Student

What Are You Reading?

Post by Rainier »

Working my way through several books in this particular patristics series.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

What Are You Reading?

Post by coco »

Fuller was a mathematician and one of the foremost thinkers of the Twentieth Century. You know him for combinatorial geometry and "tensegrity," popularized in the big "buckyball" at Epcot. Domes and such made this way can be very strong without using a lot of material.

In this book, he lays out a plan for sustaining the Earth's resources as the population grows. Sadly, his plan requires that people not be selfish. Any such plan that fails to account for sin will never be more than a dream.
Last edited by coco on 16 May 2022, 07:57, edited 2 times in total.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.