Prince vs Apple

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Prince vs Apple

Post by coco »

The prince shape was created in honor of Prince Edward VIII. I'm not sure if this is a Loewe and Co. prince in the picture, but it looks similar to me.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
jruegg
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Prince vs Apple

Post by jruegg »

Bloodhound wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 10:01
jruegg wrote: 08 Apr 2023, 16:23 The apple is my favorite shape.
Pics of your favs?
Terribly sorry for the tardiness of my reply. I'll have to try and remember how to upload my own photos.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Prince vs Apple

Post by Bloodhound »

I have a Parker Prince...it was in a box-O-pipes that I bought at the auction site...most were broken or missing stems. The little Prince was complete and as close as I am likely to get to owning a Dunhill. I cleaned it up and polished it and it smokes well but I don't smoke it often. I did smoke it last night and it was great...it may get a little more use in the future.
Last edited by Bloodhound on 23 May 2023, 11:13, edited 1 time in total.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Prince vs Apple

Post by Hovannes »

Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Prince vs Apple

Post by Bloodhound »

So the Prince that I have, I broke...I got it repaired and then smoked it and it is just today that I realized that I didn't post a pic of when I got it back...Since I am one of those annoying guys always asking for pics...well...my bad

Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Prince vs Apple

Post by Hovannes »

Bloodhound wrote: 22 May 2023, 10:55 So the Prince that I have, I broke...I got it repaired and then smoked it and it is just today that I realized that I didn't post a pic of when I got it back...Since I am one of those annoying guys always asking for pics...well...my bad

Nice! :D
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Prince vs Apple

Post by SlowToke »

The Prince and the Author are both variations on the apple shape. The Prince is a proportionally slimmed down (especially the shank) and longer version of the traditional apple shape while the author is the opposite with a much thicker shank and shorter stem. The Prince is typically a straight shanked pipe although they often have a slightly bent stem. The author is typically a 1/2 bent pipe. The apple shape refers more to the bowl shape and can be bent or straight with the proportions falling in between a Prince and an author.

I would classify Bloodhound's "Prince" as a more traditional straight apple as opposed to a Prince.

It's like the lumberman, Canadian, and lovat are all billiards. Billiard describes the bowl shape while lumberman, Canadian, and lovat refer to variations on the shank and stem.
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Prince vs Apple

Post by SlowToke »

Oh, and I've grown fond of the Prince shape and have a few in my collection. One is a Comoy Pebble Grain, one is a sandblasted Ropp Etudiant J16, and one is a smooth Ropp Etudiant J23 octagon panel. I'd like to add a Dunhill group 3 Prince but just can't bring myself to spend the money. But, I think Dunhill and Comoy Prince's are the epitome of the shape.