Pelosi banned from communion

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Pelosi banned from communtion

Post by coco »

Del wrote: 24 May 2022, 16:22 Out there in the internet news media comment boards, we find deep and profound ignorance regarding excommunication, Pope Francis, and what it means to be Catholic.

Especially among Catholics in the secular media.

They need to go back to Catholic school and tell Sister that they want their money back.... that's how ignorant they are.
NPR, who usually does a little research before speaking, made a wee little error concerning Catholocism:
Our culture is profoundly ignorant of Catholocism, the Bible, Christ, etc.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by tuttle »

A flurry of thoughts have entered my mind regarding this subject.

In no particular order:

1) The reaction from the left is predictably teeth-gnashy. Like a zombie parrot army I saw a plethora of calls for churches to lose their tax status as well as many demands for church leaders to stay out of politics. First, as if those demands will actually hurt the church (they won't), but the impetus behind the calls is a hatred for the church, and of course hatred for the church is hatred for Christ.

2) This should have happened years and years earlier and for all pro-abort politicians who come to the Table, and not on the eve of a legal victory.

3) Since this is over abortion, it is appropriate that once sacrament is juxtaposed with another. Here are two sacraments: the endless blood of Christ or the endless blood of human sacrifice. Pelosi and her ilk have chosen their lot and have been given more than enough time to repent.

4) I can't help but think that were Pelosi an evangelical, barring her from communion would not have the same force. To the tune of "No one cares" and it isn't making national headlines. In all likelihood she'd rarely be taking communion anyway and I doubt that'd be used in any form of discipline. And if it did happen, she'd just jump to another church or more like she'd already be a part of some queervangelical congregation. All this to say, the Lord's Supper is in an extremely sad and sorry state in evangelicalism.

5) Though it is a form of discipline, it's also a form of shepherding. Partaking in an unworthy manner is to incur judgement upon oneself. Though I have my qualms with Roman Catholic teaching about the eucharist, this isn't an evil cudgel wielded for purely political purposes. Her soul is in view.

I have other thoughts but it's hard to put them down and I don't have much time.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

I also have thoughts:

1. Pelosi is like a slinky - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see her tumble down the stairs.
2. Breakfast will likely be the same as it was yesterday
3. This coffee is good
4. I wish the dog didn't snore / snork so much
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by Thunktank »

Dare I weigh in on this? I’m the outlier here concerning politics and religion. Here’s my .02$ for what it’s worth:

Pelosi like a whole lot of other Catholic politicians, who consider themselves “pro-life” or “pro-choice” aren’t any good at putting forth policies that actually help many women believe they actually have a choice. They don’t lead a culture that wants a temperament toward collective prosperity and individual responsibility within that collective. So either way, it’s doomed to fail. The abortion issue is a mess and has been for a long time.

The political issue of Roe doesn’t address the core human values either way IMO. Or at least it’s very incomplete. American politicians, regardless of party are horribly ill equipped to delve into the roots of problems people have so everything becomes a question of banning or legalizing things. Every “freedom” gets abused in a fundamentally sick culture.

But concerning Nancy Pelosi and communion in particular. Well, I can understand why the bishops are withholding communion. What I don’t understand is why Pelosi and others like her don’t leave the Catholic Church. I mean, if one doesn’t agree with the doctrines and dogmas of the Catholic Church, then don’t be Catholic! It’s quite optional these days. That’s what I did. I came to know and understand the basic and fundamental (and in many ways the complex) beliefs of the church and realized I simply don’t believe them. I believe things the Catholic Church does not! So, I moved on. Pelosi and others like her are smart enough to know what the church believes about abortion. It’s disrespectful to stick around and deliberately do one of the very things that is anathema to the church.
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by DLJake »

Maybe we need a good old fashioned proclamation from the USCCB that names her Anathema.

Any and all clergy SHALL NOT offer the Eucharist due to:

<Insert Catholic statements of anathema for said behavior here>

<438 pages later of said anathema are now under review.>

She'll be pushing up the daisy's before the USCCB get enough info to petition Rome for input.

<Shaking my head ruefully>
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

It matters naught. Unless she repents, she's hell bound.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

And as a reminder, we should pray for her to repent. Sure, it would take a miracle for her to do so, but God does that sort of thing.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by Thunktank »

coco wrote: 27 May 2022, 06:53 And as a reminder, we should pray for her to repent. Sure, it would take a miracle for her to do so, but God does that sort of thing.
So if people forget to pray for a miracle of repentance will God provide a miracle for that too? And if repentance requires a miracle, than why doesn’t God do it for everyone?
And why do the unborn go to heaven but most adults don’t?

I don’t understand Pelosi either. But I think she needs to grow up in her old age and apologize to the Catholic Church. Or maybe it really is just the American bishops who are out of control and need to apologize to her binding her to the world she help create. This quote of Pelosi’s says a lot:
This [topic] really gets me burned up in case you didn't notice, because again I'm very Catholic, devout, practicing, all of that. They would like to throw me out. But I'm not going because I don't want to make their day," she said earlier this month.
Anyway, I want to know when American conservative Christians are going to pray for miracles of repentance from the likes of Trump, Cruz and Abbot for supporting the NRA who refuse to support basic legislation that can save lives of some breathing children, teachers and grandmothers. What’s good for the goose is good for the gander I say. And when are the American Catholic bishops going to go after conservative Catholic politicians who support the death penalty which the Catholic Church also condemns? I hear hell’s bells all over.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

I pray for all of 'em Thunk. From the president down to my city councilwoman. We ask them to do the very difficult work of serving us, the least we can do is pray for their health and safety, and that they make good and Godly decisions.

No need to be more specific than that. It's pretty simple, really.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Thunktank wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:23 Dare I weigh in on this? I’m the outlier here concerning politics and religion. Here’s my .02$ for what it’s worth:
As often as we have butt heads on trivial things like politics, I gotta say this: 100% agreement to your post here.

I'm feeling proud right now that I have always respected your opinions and judgment. Thank you for your patience.
Thunktank wrote: 25 May 2022, 11:23Pelosi like a whole lot of other Catholic politicians, who consider themselves “pro-life” or “pro-choice” aren’t any good at putting forth policies that actually help many women believe they actually have a choice. They don’t lead a culture that wants a temperament toward collective prosperity and individual responsibility within that collective. So either way, it’s doomed to fail. The abortion issue is a mess and has been for a long time.

The political issue of Roe doesn’t address the core human values either way IMO. Or at least it’s very incomplete. American politicians, regardless of party are horribly ill equipped to delve into the roots of problems people have so everything becomes a question of banning or legalizing things. Every “freedom” gets abused in a fundamentally sick culture.

But concerning Nancy Pelosi and communion in particular. Well, I can understand why the bishops are withholding communion. What I don’t understand is why Pelosi and others like her don’t leave the Catholic Church. I mean, if one doesn’t agree with the doctrines and dogmas of the Catholic Church, then don’t be Catholic! It’s quite optional these days. That’s what I did. I came to know and understand the basic and fundamental (and in many ways the complex) beliefs of the church and realized I simply don’t believe them. I believe things the Catholic Church does not! So, I moved on. Pelosi and others like her are smart enough to know what the church believes about abortion. It’s disrespectful to stick around and deliberately do one of the very things that is anathema to the church.
I agree: We can't legislate our way back to being a pro-life culture.

At some point, we do need laws to protect the mothers and children. We will also want to defund the abortion lobby, and perhaps secure funding to help with our charity Pregnancy Care Centers and clinics. It looks like the time is right for overturning Roe v Wade, so that pro-life states can start working on more pro-life policies.

The pro-life movement has been working within the culture for long decades, mostly without government help.
==============================================
As for Nancy.... Why does she still claim to be Catholic??? She doesn't get any votes or donations by clinging to her nominally Catholic identity. Catholics are ashamed of her, and now the Church hierarchy are publicly shaming her.

She should loudly denounce Catholicism, condemning Catholics and all Christians for our opposition to her religion of Leftism.

My theory is that demons are at work here. Her pride and defiance do more damage than any sort of honest apostasy.