Corn Blows Down...

Want to share something posted on your blog, or the fact that you have a blog? Here's one for bloggers.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Corn Blows Down...

Post by jmg »

"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Corn Blows Down...

Post by Biff »

bummer dude. Sorry about that.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Corn Blows Down...

Post by Thunktank »

I saw the video earlier. It looked like damage we dealt with before 30+ years ago in Pennsylvania. I think a good portion of it can be saved. We would straighten them back up and tamp/water the soil around the base. Then in a few areas we used a few old furring strips as stakes and bailing twine to help hold them up a few days. Pardon me if you already have a working plan. You probably do, I’ve been in the city for decades now, but once upon a time I was a wide eyed farm kid. We had lots of corn growing, both sweet and field.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Corn Blows Down...

Post by coco »

Thunktank wrote: 12 Jun 2022, 23:00 I saw the video earlier. It looked like damage we dealt with before 30+ years ago in Pennsylvania. I think a good portion of it can be saved. We would straighten them back up and tamp/water the soil around the base. Then in a few areas we used a few old furring strips as stakes and bailing twine to help hold them up a few days. Pardon me if you already have a working plan. You probably do, I’ve been in the city for decades now, but once upon a time I was a wide eyed farm kid. We had lots of corn growing, both sweet and field.
A bruised reed Thunk does not break.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Corn Blows Down...

Post by FredS »

Stand it up. If any stalks are broken, cut them off and use as props. Or feed it to the goats.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Corn Blows Down...

Post by jmg »

FredS wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 08:18 Stand it up. If any stalks are broken, cut them off and use as props. Or feed it to the goats.
I spent an hour or two on my hands and knees very carefully standing up the worst of them. There was some creaking and cracking and voids left down by the roots on the fallen side. So, I gathered good soil and filled them back in and gently tamped them down.

Happy to report that after two or three days of solid sun nearly all seem to have straightened up. We'll see if they produce.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Corn Blows Down...

Post by sweetandsour »

IMG_20190525_200032486.jpg
IMG_20190525_200032486.jpg (7.27 MiB) Viewed 1465 times
Here's my small token back yard patch of field corn from a couple years ago. You have to zoom in to see, but I planted peas around and among the corn, thinking that the runners would climb and twist around the corn stalks for stability. I pictured myself in the garden picking peas and corn all from the same stalk, but it didn't quite work out. But I may try again next year.

Anyway, glad you were able to save your corn. Good stuff.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.