Billiards Anyone?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Billiards Anyone?

Post by MrPiper »

As many of you know, I am now just over 7 years cancer free! Praise Jesus for His mercy and grace.

My cancer had NOTHING to do with my pipe, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to smoke a single bowl since my diagnosis.

I have transferred that need to waste / spend money on things I don't need to over to my pool table! :-)

Any fellow pool addicts here? Coco is the only CPS member who has been to my house (and needs to come visit again soon) and he did well as I recall.

Looking forward to your thoughts and pictures.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Billiards Anyone?

Post by Bloodhound »

When I was a teen, my mother was given an old pool table...it was cheap and didn't have a slate top...it was ply-wood...the felt was shot...I got a kit and recovered it, but the top was warped and in poor shape...still played a lot of pool on that chap old table. Then after High School, I moved to the Metro area and played in some local tournaments at a couple of Pool Halls. I did pretty well most likely because of the crappy table of my teens...but then I moved back to the Western Slope and got married and life took over and decent quality Pool Tables are pricey so i have never gotten back into it...

About 8 years ago, my wife and I stayed at a hotel that had tables and we played...seems I am one of those guys that needs to practice or I lose the skill...she beat me 3 out of 4 games...and I am still hearing about it
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Billiards Anyone?

Post by FredS »

We had a nice table when I was a kid. Medium size - between honkytonk size and full size. Later, my brother and I played in a bar league for a couple years.

I was forcibly removed from a bar once because I accidentally broke the Ham's Beer light above a pool table. Of course, I'd been warned for another offense earlier that same night. Two big dudes were rougher than they needed to be when they carried me out the back door.

I've witnessed - even been involved in - a good bit of violence that arose from disputes over pool. More even than over girls. A lot of it involved exactly who's quarters were in line for the next game and whether or not the winner keeps the table or if the next guy can play against anyone of his choosing. It's always a frightening deal, seeing that long clubs and fist-sized rock-hard balls are close at hand.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Billiards Anyone?

Post by JimVH »

I grew up in a home with a pool table. It was very old and originally sat in a St. Louis pool hall. It had a thick slate bed and the rest was solid oak. I’ll bet that thing weighed a gozillion pounds. All through jr high and high school there was a constant stream of teenagers around it. I never saw my mom happier than when she had our gameroom full of her kids and our friends.

I never got any better than decent at the game, but man I sure enjoyed playing.

Good memories.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Billiards Anyone?

Post by coco »

MrPiper wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 16:33... Coco is the only CPS member who has been to my house (and needs to come visit again soon) and he did well as I recall...
The memory is always the first thing to go.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
gaining_age
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Billiards Anyone?

Post by gaining_age »

Trouble, oh we got trouble,
Right here in River City!
With a capital "T"
That rhymes with "P"
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Billiards Anyone?

Post by FredS »

gaining_age wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 05:51
With a capital "T"
That rhymes with "P"
And that stands for pool
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Billiards Anyone?

Post by coco »

FredS wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 06:14
gaining_age wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 05:51
With a capital "T"
That rhymes with "P"
And that stands for pool
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Billiards Anyone?

Post by Hugo Drax »

Rejoicing that you are well, MrPiper!

Used to play when I was younger before FredS punched me over quarters.
Weenies are us.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Billiards Anyone?

Post by MrPiper »

Hugo Drax wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 16:19 Rejoicing that you are well, MrPiper!

Used to play when I was younger before FredS punched me over quarters.
I am well and very delighted to see you here! Call so.etime and let's catch up. I sincerely pray you and your girls are well and at peace brother.

I am in Orlando working a medical convention. This week. Spoke w an Oncologist who asked about my unusual case. She was astonished that I am alive. I told her God was the healing. I will live until He calls me home. Sadly that goes over a lot of people's head.