Read More CS Lewis

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by tuttle »

I feel like Professor Kirke from the Narnia books "What do they teach them at these schools?" Well I know what they don't teach, they don't teach CS Lewis.

A handful of times over the last few years I've both told people in person and posted on social media something to the effect of: Read more CS Lewis. I do so because I firmly believe doing so would aid us and help shape and guide and ground us in the midst of a culture currently coming lose at the seams.

To that end, instead of just telling people to go read more Lewis, I'm trying to come up with a handful of books that would be helpful for anyone actually willing to take up that advice. Most people approach Lewis from either the fantasy or Christian angle. Which means it's either Narnia or Mere Christianity. And while you can't go wrong with those, I want people to discover or re-discover Lewis' assessment of a post-Christian society and it's supernatural underpinnings.

Lewis predicted the insanity we are seeing in our day: Tyrano-techno-materialistic-scientism fully embraced by products of educational systems and propaganda outlets (like news outfits), reality rejecters and sexual deviants, the hierarchical (or lowerarchical) inner ringism, the bureaucratic boringness of evil in 'respectable' places, and how at root it's all being orchestrated by the Dark Powers despite most of its adherents denying the existence of anything beyond Nature.

My prescription would be to read these books in this order:
1) Screwtape Letters
2) Out of the Silent Planet
3) Perelandra
4) The Abolition of Man
5) That Hideous Strength
6) Present Concerns

While there are various themes at play in Screwtape and the Space Trilogy, much of it has to do with the tactics of the enemy, modern man's attempted conquest of Nature, as well as the interrelationship between our world and the supernatural, and reveals the logical conclusions of a post-Christian mindset.

The Abolition of Man in between the trilogy helps to set the stage for the final novel which is the fictional outworkings of Abolition. Most people are either put off by this novel or just outright confused. Reading Abolition first would help to calibrate us. That Hideous Strength also has a couple things that are lacking in Abolition; 1) a picture for how to live in, defy, and ultimately defeat the present evil age. We see a distinct contrast between N.I.C.E. and the fellowship at St. Anne's. I'm tempted to expound here, but I digress. 2) A re-emergence of the healthy understanding of the supernatural/spirit world and the strange things that come with it, which is something I think Christians need to ready themselves for in the coming collapse of material secularism.

Lastly Present Concerns is a book of essays that continues to expose the post-Christian mindset as lacking, and offers a solid traditional Christian alternative. The examples used might be a little dated, but the truths are evergreen. Topics include chivalry, equality, democracy, education, logical fallacies, living under the threat of imminent death due to scientific advancements, Re-enchantment, unbridled humanism, and more.

I know I could have thrown in a book or two more, there are some essays (like the inner ring) in The Weight of Glory that would go hand in hand with all of this, but I really didn't want to single out his many essays and wanted to stick to something accessible for everyone.

(I think this would be an interesting exercise with G.K. Chesterton as well, but I'm so much more familiar with the whole of Lewis' works. For Chesterton I'd need to depend on someone else--although a great book in this vein is a collection of essays called "In Defense of Sanity")

So I think these six books would go a long way in providing a sword and shield during these interesting days. Any work of Lewis (essay or book?) that I missed that you feel would be of use here?
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Del
Usher
Usher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by Del »

I need to spend some more time with Lewis. I loved Screwtape. Mere Christianity is a classic for good reason. Pipeson and Jordan Peterson regularly quote The Abolition of Man.
tuttle wrote: 07 Jul 2022, 05:29 I think this would be an interesting exercise with G.K. Chesterton as well, but I'm so much more familiar with the whole of Lewis' works. For Chesterton I'd need to depend on someone else--although a great book in this vein is a collection of essays called "In Defense of Sanity"
It's difficult to find a place to start with Chesterton. Wherever a guy starts reading, it's always in the middle.

To be honest, the folks at the Chesterton Society have struggled for years to come up with an introductory reading plan for GKC. The problem is that he wrote so damn much.... in several diverse genres and on so many different topics/categories of topics. A Chesterton guy really wants to interview the new reader a bit, find out what he's interested in and what he likes to read, and then recommend something that suits him.

The Chesterton Society have a list of recommended books, sorted according to one's taste and interest -- Shakespeare, poetry, essays, novels, Christian apologetics, economics & social commentary, mystery stories, biographies....

https://www.chesterton.org/reading-plan/
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by michigander »

I've only read about a dozen of Lewis' books (not counting Narnia series), but that seems like great introduction to Lewis and the subjects at hand.

Some may find That Hideous Strength a bit taxing, but if they make it to the end it's worth it.

I heard (in a lecture our church sponsored) that the space trilogy books were parallels to his non-fiction work, but I can't seem to find that reference. As you said Abolition and HideousStrength share similar themes. I think Perelandra's parallel was A Preface to Paradise Lost (not sure about this). I can't remember the writing that parallels Silent Planet.

I haven't read Present Concerns but will add it to my list of future reads.

Perhaps I'll go back and re-read these others in your suggested sequence.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by Jocose »

I'm getting ready to start C.S LEWIS

THE SPACE TRILOGY: THREE BOOKS IN ONE

Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra
That Hideous Strength

I'm really looking forward to this one!
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Read More CS Lewis

Post by Biff »

I like this thread.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Read More CS Lewis

Post by jmg »

michigander wrote: 08 Jul 2022, 08:33 Some may find That Hideous Strength a bit taxing, but if they make it to the end it's worth it.
If one can chew and swallow Abolition of Man then That Hideous Strength should be easy enough. I still have trouble taking Abolition in at times...have to let one new brain wrinkle finish before starting work on a new one.

One "book" I would add to Tuttle's list is actually one of his short stories, "The Dark Tower." I can't remember if it was properly finished or not, but I do remember its message being one that struck at the heart of present cultural circumstance...in certain ways, at least.
Last edited by jmg on 11 Oct 2022, 07:31, edited 2 times in total.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Read More CS Lewis

Post by jmg »

Oh, and in regards to Tuttle's original purpose for reading Lewis and his mention of Chesterton, I would recommend "The Ball and the Cross."

Jocose
Usher
Usher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by Jocose »

I finished Out Of The Silent Planet and started Perelandra.

Great so far. Highly recommended.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Read More CS Lewis

Post by michigander »

Jocose wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 22:27 I finished Out Of The Silent Planet and started Perelandra.

You won't be disappointed.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Read More CS Lewis

Post by jmg »

Jocose wrote: 10 Oct 2022, 22:27 I finished Out Of The Silent Planet and started Perelandra.

Probably my favorite book ever.