Homemade Ice Cream

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by sweetandsour »

Any of you guys make HMIC? Anyone ever make a batch of homemade rum-raisin? If so, how'd it turn out? (so to speak)
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by Bloodhound »

My stepdad considered himself to be a home crank Ice Cream expert. we wore out a couple of hand crank rigs, and he wouldn't even think about an electric unit.

My wife makes ice cream several times per summer...that is to say she cooks the custard and I freeze it...I have a hand crank unit and an electric unit. She has never made rum raisin but I will suggest it to her.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by Bloodhound »

I was talking to Penny about this last night, and she said she is goin got put a batch together this weekend...but she has a bunch of strawberries that she wants to use...not rum raisin but I will not be complaining :)
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by sweetandsour »

Bloodhound wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 08:37 I was talking to Penny about this last night, and she said she is goin got put a batch together this weekend...but she has a bunch of strawberries that she wants to use...not rum raisin but I will not be complaining :)
Good deal! I haven't had an ice cream freezer in years, but I'm going shopping today, and was actually thinking peach ice cream, for a summer treat. But still have rum-raisin on my mind, and I found several recipes on line already. .
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by Bloodhound »

My stepdad was a crank unit fan...he liked them tall and skinny...but all the new ones were shorter and fatter. He also didn't like a lined bucket...byt it sure made prep and clean up quicker to have a plastic lined bucket.

I have a shorter fat model...but it doesn't get much use as its kind of a 2 person job. So the electric unit is used the most as I can run it by myself. Good luck in your search
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by FredS »

sweetandsour wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 08:54
Bloodhound wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 08:37 I was talking to Penny about this last night, and she said she is goin got put a batch together this weekend...but she has a bunch of strawberries that she wants to use...not rum raisin but I will not be complaining :)
Good deal! I haven't had an ice cream freezer in years, but I'm going shopping today, and was actually thinking peach ice cream, for a summer treat. But still have rum-raisin on my mind, and I found several recipes on line already. .
I bought some peaches at a roadside stand thinking the same thing yesterday. But they're a little mushy to blend in ice cream so we just had them on top. Palisade Peaches for the win. Amiright bloodhound?

Mrs FredS bought a little counter top model that makes about a qt per batch. The canister has a double wall with some sort of magic sauce in the middle. You freeze it ahead of time and it makes ice cream without additional ice.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by Bloodhound »

Palisade Peaches :dance:

Penny was going to get one of the countertop models...but my waist line would suffer worse that it already does...so I am glad she didn't....yet
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by DLJake »

sweetandsour wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 17:40 Any of you guys make HMIC? Anyone ever make a batch of homemade rum-raisin? If so, how'd it turn out? (so to speak)
Geezer Alert

I spend about a month on a small corn farm in Xenia, OH summer of 1976.

The Dad unit of the farm broke out the Ice Cream machine one Saturday afternoon. I had never experienced the Ice Cream making process. Ice and Salt and electric motors.

I was quite intrigued.

The Dad In Charge of All Things Ice Cream was giving me a bit of the stink eye.

I saw it. Dad in Charge had no idea of my background nor experience.

As events progressed for what appears to be a yummy joy filled ice cream for all; this happened.

My Best Bud at the time was Steven. He was a crazy Cincinnati Reds fan. He was catcher on his local baseball team. I'd pitch to him in the basement of Casa del Ice Cream. Steve remarked that I had a great sinker from basement toss. Because the lighting in the basement could not be adjusted; he wanted me to hit him with sinkers as much as I could with the limited light. Since I was on vaca there, we did this a lot.

One Saturday in the make Ice Cream Making Zone after a lot of great fun of trying to lay in sinkers in the basement it happened.

Steve and his younger brother who's name I cannot recall and I bolted out of the basement because Dad In Charge hollered loud, PADDELS READY!

I was 3rd of 3 in the competition.

Steve was first to, "call it" and his younger brother lost his mind. I mean he was hollering, No Fair! And I was standing at the rear far wall of the room where this is unfolding. I'm observing saying nothing.

Farm Dad, 9 foot and 300 lbs, looks like Paul Bunyan, tells his boys to hush and then looks at me and asks, You wanna lick the paddle?

I froze. Terror griped my soul. I managed to get out, I don't know. Then he cracked up laughing.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by sweetandsour »

DLJake wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 16:42
sweetandsour wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 17:40 Any of you guys make HMIC? Anyone ever make a batch of homemade rum-raisin? If so, how'd it turn out? (so to speak)
Geezer Alert

I spend about a month on a small corn farm in Xenia, OH summer of 1976.

The Dad unit of the farm broke out the Ice Cream machine one Saturday afternoon. I had never experienced the Ice Cream making process. Ice and Salt and electric motors.

I was quite intrigued.

The Dad In Charge of All Things Ice Cream was giving me a bit of the stink eye.

I saw it. Dad in Charge had no idea of my background nor experience.

As events progressed for what appears to be a yummy joy filled ice cream for all; this happened.

My Best Bud at the time was Steven. He was a crazy Cincinnati Reds fan. He was catcher on his local baseball team. I'd pitch to him in the basement of Casa del Ice Cream. Steve remarked that I had a great sinker from basement toss. Because the lighting in the basement could not be adjusted; he wanted me to hit him with sinkers as much as I could with the limited light. Since I was on vaca there, we did this a lot.

One Saturday in the make Ice Cream Making Zone after a lot of great fun of trying to lay in sinkers in the basement it happened.

Steve and his younger brother who's name I cannot recall and I bolted out of the basement because Dad In Charge hollered loud, PADDELS READY!

I was 3rd of 3 in the competition.

Steve was first to, "call it" and his younger brother lost his mind. I mean he was hollering, No Fair! And I was standing at the rear far wall of the room where this is unfolding. I'm observing saying nothing.

Farm Dad, 9 foot and 300 lbs, looks like Paul Bunyan, tells his boys to hush and then looks at me and asks, You wanna lick the paddle?

I froze. Terror griped my soul. I managed to get out, I don't know. Then he cracked up laughing.
Oh heck yeah, man. For sure call dibs on the paddle!
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Homemade Ice Cream

Post by JimVH »

We had both the crank and electric models at one time or another and built some good memories around them. Dad had three boys at his disposal, so the hand crank was his favorite.

My favorite flavor we ever made was cantaloupe. It called for a really ripe melon, part diced and part pureed. It's exactly what summer should taste like.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix