Is casual sex sinful?

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by sweetandsour »

From Wikipedia: "Casual sex is sexual activity that takes place outside a romantic relationship and implies an absence of commitment, emotional attachment, or familiarity between sexual partners.[1][2] Examples are sexual activity while casually dating, one-night stands, prostitution or swinging."

John 8:11
King James Version
11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by tuttle »

What does the 21st century have anything to do about it?
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by joegoat »

Even if you can somehow manage to find Scripture that makes it sound like a wholesome act, it's just not a good idea. Yeah, it might be fun at the time, but I know my wife and I would feel regret if we knew we had messed around with other people. Sex is such a wonderful thing. Why make it so meaningless?
Society is working to remove every inkling of morality. That doesn't mean that we as Christians should relax our personal convictions.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Biff »

Yes. No.
And like Tuttle said "What's the 21st century got to do with it?"

Are you trolling?
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by FredS »

Troubadour wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 03:20 . . . would you say that casual sex is sinful?
Biff wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 07:53 Are you trolling?
Do you know who s/he is? Troubadour was TheSheperd on the old site. Many of their views - at least as presented on the forums - are well outside what most would consider a Christian worldview. This is a good place to explore those ideas though - just don't be shocked when s/he starts revealing more as they become comfortable bringing up what might be sensitive questions.

As for casual sex, certainly as defined by the wiki blurb S&S posted, it's a sin. Between consenting adult, it's not the worst thing in the world but it often leads to harmful outcomes. The harm that one partner will almost certainly inflict on the other is worse. Sex, by it's very design, is supposed to be a supremely intimate and loving experience (is there anything else even close?), and when one or both partners pretend it's not, things can sour quickly.
Last edited by FredS on 18 Jul 2022, 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Del »

tuttle wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 05:27 What does the 21st century have anything to do about it?
Every age has its favored sins. Doesn't make it any less sinful, it's just harder to see when we are swimming in a culture which promotes that sin.

For example, a bunch of devout Christian folks were smugly confident in their righteousness while owning slaves and celebrating slave culture.... back in 1820 Alabama.

Lots of similarly smug Christians advocate for abortion now (even "Catholics" like Pelosi and Biden).

100 years ago, every Christian of every Church and denomination knew that contraception was offensive to God. Today we are so addicted to contraception, it's difficult to find a Christian who can even articulate why God would be offended by this artificial disruption of the natural order. It's so convenient!
=====================================

Those among us who desire a holy relationship with God need to think deeply about the favorite sins of the culture we live in. We need to focus on how to live apart from the world as we dwell in it.
Yohanan
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Yohanan »

Hebrews 13:4

Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
Last edited by Yohanan on 18 Jul 2022, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
***Smoke What You Like, and Like What You Smoke, No Matter What Anyone Else Thinks!!!***
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by DLJake »

Troubadour wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 03:20 In the 21st century, would you say that casual sex is sinful? Please elaborate.
If one grabs a nooner with one's sacramentally cleaved spouse then, no.

If one is pulling in a 25USD quickie "around the world" from a self identified whore at a truck stop gas station and grill then, yes.

On a more personal front.

WTF, Ass Munch? Why are you here? You gonna be this guy? Is that your role?

Straighten up, douchebag.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by Biff »

FredS wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 09:42
Troubadour wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 03:20 . . . would you say that casual sex is sinful?
Biff wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 07:53 Are you trolling?
Do you know who s/he is? Troubadour was TheSheperd on the old site.
I don't remember TheShepherd. This is a new site w/ new rules. If people gonna troll, they're gonna troll, but I'm gonna call `em on it. If Troubadour / TheShepherd wants to roll that way, fine, but at least s/he should have the guts to own it.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Is casual sex sinful?

Post by jmg »

Yohanan wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 15:59 Hebrews 13:4

Marriage is honourable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.
Yes.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden