TOOLS...Make that pipe tools,what do you use?

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

I use a Brebbia Pipe Nail...I have 4 or 5 hanging around, they are cheap but better quality than the round aluminum ones. I started using a Czech Tool, but the tamper and the pick were all I everused, so I down graded to the pipe nail. I also had a cheap reamer and it has broken. I got a pipe knife with a sharp blade, and it works but you have to be careful not to nick the rim of the bowl...maybe its time for a "Baby Dock" with a blunt but dull blade.

I have been looking at vintage electricial knives, but they are a little big...so...what do you use to smoke and maintain your pipes.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

Whatever is close to hand, usually a Tsuge bamboo pipe tamper that my mother had blessed before she gave it to me for Christmas a few years back.

Like everyone else, I've used everything from a pencil to a pocket knife to my finger when without a proper tamper.
Weenies are us.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

"Tsuge bamboo pipe tamper that my mother had blessed before she gave it to me..."

That sounds cool.

I counted last night I have 4 pipe nails, 2 Czech tools, a Rough Rider Pipe Knife, and an older vintage electrical knife.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by GaryInVA »

I use a Ming Kahuna tamper from my A.S.P. days that has an internal pick that unscrews when needed. One of my pipe treasures.
Attachments
PXL_20220609_000112129.jpg
PXL_20220609_000112129.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2876 times
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
Hugo Drax

Post by Hugo Drax »

GaryInVA wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 12:55 I use a Ming Kahuna tamper from my A.S.P. days that has an internal pick that unscrews when needed. One of my pipe treasures.
Mingkahuna? That's a blast from the past? A.S.P.?? Holy cow, what a great place that was. I'd tell you who I was but it was the early days of the internet and my handle was my actual name!

Thanks for triggering a few happy memories, sir.
Weenies are us.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by GaryInVA »

Hugo Drax wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 14:21
GaryInVA wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 12:55 I use a Ming Kahuna tamper from my A.S.P. days that has an internal pick that unscrews when needed. One of my pipe treasures.
Mingkahuna? That's a blast from the past? A.S.P.?? Holy cow, what a great place that was. I'd tell you who I was but it was the early days of the internet and my handle was my actual name!

I connected with Art at Ming a couple months ago and he is still going strong. I actually found so ASP stuff when we were packing to move including an ASP tamper.

― Albert Einstein
Hugo Drax

Post by Hugo Drax »

GaryInVA wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 14:47

I connected with Art at Ming a couple months ago and he is still going strong. I actually found so ASP stuff when we were packing to move including an ASP tamper.
I have a zippo laying around somewhere. I haven't seen a ming for sale for years. It's good to know he is doing well. Always wanted one, but ASP wasn't around during the time when I could spend that kind of money on a tamper. Rather envious, my friend!
Weenies are us.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by GaryInVA »

Hugo Drax wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 17:25
GaryInVA wrote: 28 Jul 2022, 14:47

I have a zippo laying around somewhere. I haven't seen a ming for sale for years. It's good to know he is doing well. Always wanted one, but ASP wasn't around during the time when I could spend that kind of money on a tamper. Rather envious, my friend!
https://ming-kahuna.com

― Albert Einstein
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

I usually use my pinky finger. I have Czech tools (and knockoffs thereof)and aluminum pipe nails strewn about everywhere. If I'm feeling fancy I'll use my meerschaum tamper.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Post by jmg »

I've made a bazillion tampers of all varieties. Oddly, I've never kept a single one. I typically end up using whatever bolt is laying around, my finger, or a deer antler tamper that Winton sent me a while back when I want to feel fancy.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden