Why would anyone vote for Donald Trump?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Because he's not the other guy. It's how Biden got elected.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

I miss Uncle Bob.
Weenies are us.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by tuttle »

Hugo Drax wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 05:02 I miss Uncle Bob.
I don't

EDIT: Let me amend that. I do miss the pre-woke Uncle Bob. That guy was cool and interesting.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

coco wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 04:31 Because he's not the other guy. It's how Biden got elected.
This
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

In 2016, I voted against Hillary. I don't know if a guy like Troubadour fully comprehends how much Hillary hates most Americans.

- I voted for Bernie Sanders in the 2016 Democrat Primary -- because Sanders might be bat-guano crazy, but at least he doesn't hate us.
(My political calculus was that Wisconsin was going to go Democrat in November anyway, so this was my only chance to cast a meaningful vote against Hillary. And any of those Republicans would be fine with me, because there's no way that Donald Trump comes out on top.)
-- Bernie won the Wisconsin Democrat primary. Ted Cruz won Republican.

- I voted for Donald Trump in the November election. He might end up being a big joke, but at least he didn't hate us. And at least I was impressed by his list of great nominees for Supreme Court, if he had a chance at that.
-- Donald Trump won Wisconsin by a sliver, after polling projected Hillary by as much as +14.

I'm convinced that Hillary lost her campaign by being the most repulsive candidate, fair-and-square.

Our family all voted against Hillary. We didn't take Donald seriously until after he won.

Morning after election, Pipeson pulled up Trump's website for the first time and we all were amazed by his First 100 Days agenda. It was so many things we have been hoping for so many decades.... personally, I was immediately ashamed that I had not given Mr. Trump more credit as a candidate.

I could see why so many people were excited to vote for him in 2016. He was a positively good choice for those who were paying attention.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Remembering the 2016 campaign, here are some main issues that Trump supporters were really excited about:
- Border security
- Immigration reform (This was his only major failure. Both Democrats and Republicans in Congress refused to work with Trump on expanding legal immigration or providing legal status to those whom we had allowed to enter illegally. That was sad to watch.)
- Tax reform aimed at bringing back manufacturing.
- Bringing back those manufacturing jobs.
- Beefing up the energy sector - toward energy independence. Jobs in mining, drilling, and fracking. Also supporting manufacturing jobs. And lower gasoline and diesel prices.
- Supreme Court Justices and Federal Court Judges.

Most Americans are not much interested in foreign policy, but some are. Trump's campaign top issues were:
- Defeating ISIS and getting out of Iraq.
- Stabilizing Afghanistan and ending the loss of American lives. Preparing to leave.
- Keeping Putin penned up, avoiding a repeat of the Crimea invasion.
- Getting NATO allies to honor their promises, contribute more to their own defense and our common defense against Russia, etc.
- Engage China's abuses against fair economic competition

Social issues that fired up Trump's supporters:
- Exposing the media's bias and lies.
- Pressing against the Deep State (even though that term was not yet common) that challenges our democracy (embodied at the time by the FBI and Hillary's illegal email server scandal)

Also, there was a high number of voters disgusted with Democrats after 8 years of Obama. Democrats failed (and continue to fail) to recognize how much their policies and overreach alienated voters. Even after the successive Red Wave elections of 2010, 2012, and 2014.

It seems that Michael Moore was the only celebrity Democrat who could see it coming. He watched crowds of Union workers cheering at Trump's rallies in Michigan and Pennsylvania and tried to warn elected Democrats that they were in for a real threat. Meanwhile the liberal media kept cheering at their own polls and insisted that there was no possible path for Trump to win.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Troubadour wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 22:47 Honestly, if we just filter through the rhetoric and gossip, I can't see much of a concrete reason as to why.

Probably Trump's main and only real "selling point" was his funding of the "border wall". And while I can see the potential appeal there - realistically it probably won't have a major impact on the "populist" demographic he was trying to cater to if they think it will play a significant role in allowing them to "keep their jobs".

So ignoring that, probably his most significant accomplishment was the appointing of Supreme Court justices rather than any of his actual campaign promises.

And beyond that, I'm aware that there's a demographic which merely idolizes his persona or "political-incorrectness", which is something far more emotional and merely sycophantic than tangible.

So that's about all I can say. Probably the people "in the know" will realize the appointing Supreme Court justices is the most significant thing to keep an eye on. While most of the rest is just rhetorical flare.
We've all lived through the last 6 years, and if you don't already have a long list of Trump's significant accomplishment then I'm not sure how to help you.

You've got to have your eyes open to see. It wouldn't help if I gave you a list.

Please understand.... I'm not insulting you. It's a very common problem, and I suffer from it as well. I asked Thunktank to explain to me why so many people hate -- HATE -- Donald Trump. And he tried and tried to explain it to me..... And I just couldn't see it. It's not that I cared much for Trump's brash personality, but I couldn't understand how anyone could overlook so many great accomplishments for us -- just to hate the man.

In my lifetime, I have never seen so much great success in world peace, economic strength, and widespread prosperity. (I was an adult when Reagan was elected. I remember Lyndon Johnson.)

If you want a list of Trump's successes, I have one ready for you. We can all add to it.

But to keep it simple.... Here's what I would say to anyone who is interested in talking policy and politics:

Pick a policy - any policy. Any issue that important to you. And tell me how that problem or issue is better now under Biden than it was under Trump.

There are a few that I can think of.... if pro-abortion is your vital one thing, then Biden's your man.

But for most issues, I'm pretty sure that most people want our next president to restore what our last president did.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

Del wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 06:42 In 2016, I voted against Hillary. I don't know if a guy like Troubadour fully comprehends how much Democrats hate most Americans.

I could see why so many people were excited to vote for him in 2016. He was a positively good choice for those who were paying attention.
Fixed it for ya, Del.

Trump is still a good choice for those paying attention.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Troubadour wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 14:43
Del wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 06:42 I don't know if a guy like Troubadour fully comprehends how much Hillary hates most Americans.
Honestly, I'm not sure what "hates most Americans" means - but that just seems like standard populist rhetoric which has been employed by both Democrats and Republicans in specific situations.
"Most" is a bit of hyperbole. But she made it evident (with her "deplorables" remark) that she has a disgustingly low opinion of Red State America. We are all just a bunch of "haters" -- racist, sexist, Islamophobic, homophobic, xenophobic -- and we are beneath her.

It's a problem for Trump voters everywhere. Democrat zealots won't hire us, work with us, or talk to us. Many of us have lost friends and family. CPS has lost Thunktank and Uncle Bob.
=========================

You can inform me on what you mean by "populist rhetoric." I don't have a clear understanding. Do you mean Left-wing populism or Right-wing populism? -- Because they are different things, and neither is well-defined.

Populism and nationalism are perfectly fine enthusiasms, as far as they go. If either one goes to an extreme and disordered direction, then it's bad for everyone.

For example, the populist-left enthusiasm that turned respecting people for their choices into "Pride Month" -- and epidemic gender confusion in schoolchildren -- is something we need to fix.

Right-wing populism wants to avoid FBI raids on political rivals and 87,000 new IRS agents toting guns in combat gear.
Troubadour wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 14:43
Please understand.... I'm not insulting you. It's a very common problem, and I suffer from it as well. I asked Thunktank to explain to me why so many people hate -- HATE -- Donald Trump.
I would assume that the "stole the election" narrative (allegedly with the help of Russia) probably has a lot to do with it. But it's obvious that in some cases it's merely pathology being conflated with ideology, as per Alinsky.
In 2017, Thunker did believe the whole "Russian disinformation" narrative. Very strongly. He even wondered if perhaps he himself was duped into believing something that wasn't true by the Russians.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

Del wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 09:36
Pick a policy - any policy. Any issue that important to you. And tell me how that problem or issue is better now under Biden than it was under Trump.

There are a few that I can think of.... if pro-abortion is your vital one thing, then Biden's your man.

But for most issues, I'm pretty sure that most people want our next president to restore what our last president did.
So far as I can see, Biden has been the most absolutely useless president we've had during my lifetime. I've just enough libertarian left in my political views that makes him my favorite president so far.

But Trump may have been either smart enough not to get involved with Ukraine, or dumb enough not to care to get involved. That would have been nice.