Why would anyone vote for Donald Trump?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 06:28
sweetandsour wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 05:50
Del wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 06:07

Elections are big, complicated, complex things. We can all keep our pet opinions.

I've heard that Trump campaigned effectively on social media. I dunno, because I never met him there. But several pundits concur with Troubadour.

My pet opinion -- that Hillary lost her own election by being unelectable and repulsive -- has a lot of support. Hillary assumed that her "Blue Wall" in the upper Midwest was so solid that she didn't bother to campaign here. We just weren't worthy of her time and attention, and we felt it.

- Trump won Michigan a sliver - 0.2% margin
- Trump won Wisconsin by the same 0.2% margin

Hillary had little justification to trust that Wisconsin would elect her.
- She lost the Democrat Primary in Wisconsin to Bernie Sanders.
- There were 120,000 more people voted in the Republican Primary than in the Democrat Primary.
- Yet Hillary failed to make even one visit to Wisconsin after the primary.

I found this fascinating GIF that tells the side-by-side story of Hillary's and Trump's campaign rallies:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/ ... paign.gif
You're right, it's all personal opinion. I don't pay much attention to political pundits, nor their polls (remember the polls that had Hillary winning by a landslide?) But I remember Trump's tweets being more of a main factor after his election, than before as Troubadour suggested. He stepped up his tweeting after the election just to bypass (and piss off) the MSM, in my opinion. And talk about playing the stock market. Those that were able to time their investments with Trump's tweets did pretty well.
What nobody seems to remember about Trump's tweets -- He backed off quite a bit on his wild tweets by the end of his first year in office.

The tweet-storms were fun at first -- it was new and fun, and we've never before seen the regime media pushed back in real time. But after a while they got to be less effective, and the "mean tweets" stopped making headlines. Donald Trump hasn't been much on social media for years, but he'll always be remembered for "covfefe."

I don't recall the stock market reacting to Trump's tweets. How the heck could anybody "time the market" to that?
LOL, I'd forgotten about covfefe! Btw, all of my contributions to this thread are based strictly on distant memory. I remember our financial advisor griping about the tweets during the verbal tariff war.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 14:10
FredS wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 12:43 Gee whiz. When you put it like that, I can see why you worship the guy.
I don't worship Trump. It's more like veneration.

I'm hoping for DeSantis.
Call it what you will but it looks like full-on, nose-up-his-ass worship to me. I'm hardly a touchy-feely guy, but I can't overlook the fact that he's simply an indecent man and focus on the things he did well while President. I understand that action speaks louder than character to some, but there is no need to choose one over the other. Let's demand both from our next President.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Post by jmg »

FredS wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 15:19
FredS wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 12:43 Gee whiz. When you put it like that, I can see why you worship the guy.

I'm hoping for DeSantis.
Call it what you will but it looks like full-on, nose-up-his-ass worship to me. I'm hardly a touchy-feely guy, but I can't overlook the fact that he's simply an indecent man and focus on the things he did well while President. I understand that action speaks louder than character to some, but there is no need to choose one over the other. Let's demand both from our next President.
Any political person of power is going to be indecent, some are just better at hiding it. We've allowed the federal government to amass so much power that in order for anyone to rise in the ranks there will plenty of deals made with the devil. If they are going to be indecent, then I choose the one that will do the lesser amount of damage. I'm 40 years old, and Trump is the first president in my lifetime that didn't have us in a war (if you don't count Reagan, but he had his hand in plenty of conflict). Also, if anyone other than Trump had accomplished even half of the peace deals that he did, it would have been shouted from the rooftops by every political teat-sucking media outlet. I won't even begin to discuss how my retirement is fairing compared to when Trump was at the helm.

All that said, I don't care for Trump as an individual, but I prefer the hell out of him over Biden or pretty much any political candidate that holds to a current-day leftist ideology.
Last edited by jmg on 18 Aug 2022, 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 17 Aug 2022, 15:19

I'm hoping for DeSantis.
Trump does have a lot of fans. I don't know if he has as many sycophantic brown-nosers as Barack Obama, but Trump's fans laugh a whole lot louder.
=================================================

I make no excuses for Mr. Trump's disgusting and cringey behavior back when he was a Clinton-loving Democrat. The whole thing with Stormy D. is sickening.

And yet, by all appearances, he had some sort of conversion. He wasn't chasing interns around the Oval Office, sniffing their hair or staining their dresses. He wouldn't associate with Jeffrey Epstein.

I have to admit that President Trump didn't do anything that offended me. Mostly just shaking my head at what others got so offended about.

I rather enjoyed his antics, and how badly the regime and media got themselves all twisted over nothing. "It feels like 'Impeachment Lite'!"
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Because there are no other Republican nominees... at least according to the media.

When Trump was running the first time, the American public knew nothing about other Republican nominees, because Trump was constantly in the media spotlight. When he was president, every other story was about Trump. After he was president, every other story was about Trump. Now that the big election is approaching, all we hear is TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP. We have not and will not hear about any other nominee, because according to the media, the fight will surely have Trump in one corner. Indeed, they will have it no other way.
Last edited by coco on 20 Aug 2022, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
gaining_age
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by gaining_age »

He was abysmal at the debate after governing for 4 years. He still wanted to point fingers at Obama and Biden in the debate with Biden.

He had accomplishments... at least I thought he had. They got washed out by the yelling and continual finger pointing.

Then you look at his age.... he'll be turning 78 in 2024.... same age as Biden was when he took POTUS office.

The question ... as Coco alluded to... is what do you do with the Trump momentum? Those that adore him want to know whom he endorses. Yet success of the endorsed candidates lend toward (whether related to endorsement or not) reflection on Trump.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

gaining_age wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 06:32 same age as Biden was when he took POTUS office.
You mean 'stole' POTUS office, right?
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

gaining_age wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 06:32 He was abysmal at the debate after governing for 4 years. He still wanted to point fingers at Obama and Biden in the debate with Biden.

He had accomplishments... at least I thought he had. They got washed out by the yelling and continual finger pointing.

Then you look at his age.... he'll be turning 78 in 2024.... same age as Biden was when he took POTUS office.

The question ... as Coco alluded to... is what do you do with the Trump momentum? Those that adore him want to know whom he endorses. Yet success of the endorsed candidates lend toward (whether related to endorsement or not) reflection on Trump.
Yeah, I still can't believe "they", whoever the Dems are that are calling the shots, let Biden do that (or any) debate. They could have just kept him in the basement and still won the election. Well, I guess they did keep him in the basement, come to think of it.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
gaining_age
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by gaining_age »

Biff wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 16:49
gaining_age wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 06:32 same age as Biden was when he took POTUS office.
You mean 'stole' POTUS office, right?
Different topic on election integrity... however, I feel any follow up ought to be after an election. That is, concede graciously and then proceed to pursue improvements. Declarations of "stolen" election is bad form. Trump made a mess for himself and real enemies in his endeavor toward whatever he did on Jan 6th. And the Jan 6th committee is completely a witch hunt which Liz has 120% attached herself toward-- that makes it personal.

I noticed in the news or it was in this thread too..... The more parties talk about Trump the less it seems there are other candidates. Big mistake. Trump would have to have some major shifts to be on the ballet in 2024 and to have sufficient support in 2024. TOOO much of our politics and administrations are already "Oh no, not this again."

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

gaining_age wrote: 20 Aug 2022, 06:32 The question ... as Coco alluded to... is what do you do with the Trump momentum? Those that adore him want to know whom he endorses. Yet success of the endorsed candidates lend toward (whether related to endorsement or not) reflection on Trump.
To me, it feels like all of the momentum is with DeSantis.

MAGA voters love Trump, but that doesn't mean that we want him to run again -- for all of the obvious reasons.

What we really want are lots of governors and congress folks who will press on and lead us. We want snowplows who will clear leftist government and policies out of our way so we can work and live and care for our own families. So the Trump-endorsed candidates have made a powerful showing this primary cycle.

Democrats and their media are the only ones who want who want Trump to run again, and no one else. So if you listen to them, it might feel like Trump has a lot of momentum. They are pumping him as the front-runner.... even raiding his home, to make him look like a great martyr. Democrats even put money into local primary elections "against" Trump-endorsed Republican candidates -- "Endorsed by Donald Trump! Too conservative for Michigan!" (as if that would dissuade Republicans primary voters.... hmmm).

But if you check out the alternative MAGA media -- and read some of the viewer comments -- it's pretty clear that those folks and their fans are all looking for DeSantis in 2024.

Recent polls (if you trust those things) show that Republican voters favor DeSantis over Trump. Even in Florida, where voters stand the most to lose if America's greatest governor decides to run in 2024.
https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8