Why would anyone vote for Donald Trump?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by tuttle »

Troubadour wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 12:37
Del wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 17:51
Troubadour wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 14:43
Honestly, I'm not sure what "hates most Americans" means - but that just seems like standard populist rhetoric which has been employed by both Democrats and Republicans in specific situations.
"Most" is a bit of hyperbole. But she made it evident (with her "deplorables" remark) that she has a disgustingly low opinion of Red State America
Yeah, that's the talking point they've been trying to sell for quite sometime, and honestly It's getting kind of old.
I don't know man, you like all that inflation and covid tyranny and trannies being pushed to the limelight of every segment of society?

I'd vote for a stuffed moose head over any Dem.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

tuttle wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 13:07 I'd vote for a stuffed moose head over any Dem.
Trump should totally use that campaign slogan.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Troubadour wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 15:21
tuttle wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 13:07
Yeah, that's the talking point they've been trying to sell for quite sometime, and honestly It's getting kind of old.
I don't know man, you like all that inflation and covid tyranny and trannies being pushed to the limelight of every segment of society?

Not seeing any correlation between that talking point and any of the allegations you're listing here.

The narrative seems to be latching onto a comment in order to milk as much outrages as possible from it, and that's something of a dead horse.
Suit yourself. That gaffe cost her the election, and set us on our present course of political history.

Her remark didn't spark any actual "outrage." Much worse, it was met with great mockery and humor by folks all across Middle America. I still hear local right-wing radio greet listeners with a hearty "Welcome, Proud Deplorables!"

Folks are still milking laughs from Obama's gaffe about "Bitter Clingers" too.

Jokes last much longer than outrage. Lefties should learn a thing or two about humor.... we'd all be better off. "Let's go, Brandon!"
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

I forgot about the bitter clingers.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %20Clinger
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Troubadour wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 03:26 I think Trump leveraging social media to reach a wider audience is the main factor in him winning in 2016.
Nope. Hillary won the popular vote. Trump needed Florida, and one of the Midwest states (I can't immediately remember which one), to get past Hillary on electoral votes, and he narrowly got them. Hillary protested Florida briefly but then gave it up.

I think if the Dems would have run anyone else besides Hillary, then they'd have won the election. That's how Obama got nominated in the first place, too many on the DNC didn't want Hillary. But, they finally caved in 2016 and gave her the nod.

I suspected foul play in 2016, and I don't mean Russia. Trump and the Clintons were big buddies until the election.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by tuttle »

Troubadour wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 15:21
tuttle wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 13:07

Not seeing any correlation between that talking point and any of the allegations you're listing here.

The narrative seems to be latching onto a comment in order to milk as much outrages as possible from it, and that's something of a dead horse.
I'm thinking about the OP and the comments about how the left hates average Americans. I picked three things that are legitimate outcomes of a Democrat victory that, in my mind, would be reason enough for someone to vote for Trump, and to highlight some actual outcomes that have been used to harm or flout the average American.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 04:27
Troubadour wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 03:26 I think Trump leveraging social media to reach a wider audience is the main factor in him winning in 2016.
Nope. Hillary won the popular vote. Trump needed Florida, and one of the Midwest states (I can't immediately remember which one), to get past Hillary on electoral votes, and he narrowly got them. Hillary protested Florida briefly but then gave it up.

I think if the Dems would have run anyone else besides Hillary, then they'd have won the election. That's how Obama got nominated in the first place, too many on the DNC didn't want Hillary. But, they finally caved in 2016 and gave her the nod.

I suspected foul play in 2016, and I don't mean Russia. Trump and the Clintons were big buddies until the election.
Elections are big, complicated, complex things. We can all keep our pet opinions.

I've heard that Trump campaigned effectively on social media. I dunno, because I never met him there. But several pundits concur with Troubadour.

My pet opinion -- that Hillary lost her own election by being unelectable and repulsive -- has a lot of support. Hillary assumed that her "Blue Wall" in the upper Midwest was so solid that she didn't bother to campaign here. We just weren't worthy of her time and attention, and we felt it.

- Trump won Michigan a sliver - 0.2% margin
- Trump won Wisconsin by the same 0.2% margin

Hillary had little justification to trust that Wisconsin would elect her.
- She lost the Democrat Primary in Wisconsin to Bernie Sanders.
- There were 120,000 more people voted in the Republican Primary than in the Democrat Primary.
- Yet Hillary failed to make even one visit to Wisconsin after the primary.

I found this fascinating GIF that tells the side-by-side story of Hillary's and Trump's campaign rallies:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/wp-content/ ... paign.gif
Last edited by Del on 16 Aug 2022, 06:18, edited 1 time in total.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

Cheating now, cheated then. Cheating didn't just start.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

Del wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 06:07

My pet opinion -- that Hillary lost her own election by being unelectable and repulsive -- has a lot of support. Hillary assumed that her "Blue Wall" in the upper Midwest was so solid that she didn't bother to campaign here. We just weren't worthy of her time and attention, and we felt it.

- Trump won Michigan a sliver - 0.2% margin
- Trump won Wisconsin by the same 0.2% margin
Wait, that would imply that there are people in the Midwest that don't live in Chicago (a truly traditional city, the cemeteries have been voting there since Lincoln won his primary) or Detroit. That doesn't sound right. It's just a bunch of cows until you hit St Paul, right? Cows and Green Bay fans, who I'm pretty sure aren't legally entitled to vote....

Edit: tablet typing got wonky for a second, deleted a redundant word