Grit

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Grit

Post by Hovannes »

One of the most appreciated bits of stuff I have is a roughly torn 1/4 sheet or less of used sand paper.
This can be used to thin out cake in a bowl, or clean the contacts on a spark plug or car battery.
I employed just such a scrap of sand paper yesterday evening to smooth off a gnarly bolt head prior to painting (while reassembling my old bike)
This scrap sandpaper was tucked away on Milady's potting bench
This (or rather these, because it is just so useful) don't dwell in a well ordered place of honor with full sheets of unsoiled sandpaper, but instead are tucked away in various locations, or "staged" where they are likely to be useful, such as along side an electric tool, or with a box of spare auto fuses, or in a "catch-all" drawer in the kitchen or workshop.
I have never purchased sand paper expressly for this mission, instead employing a scrap that looked too good to toss, left over from a completed project.
Which brings me to the point of this exercise---sand paper comes in many grits and many types---from crocus cloth to Garnet to wet or dry, and grits ranging from 2500 to 36.
As I mentioned, I'm rather cavalier about sand paper grit. Most of the time I can make whatever I have on hand work well enough, but say you don't have any scraps and you have to actually go out an buy a sheet of sand paper for an as yet unknown use?
Which grit would you choose? Which paper substrate would you prefer? Hmmm?
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Grit

Post by sweetandsour »

Interesting. My typical all around go to is 120.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Grit

Post by JimVH »

My favorite grit is 220, especially when woodturning. I just like the way the dust feels at that grit.

Sometimes I don't realize how much I overthink things until I type it out.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Del
Usher
Usher

Grit

Post by Del »

JimVH wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 08:56 Sometimes I don't realize how much I overthink things until I type it out.
I'm not much of a handy guy, but I can overthink a golf ball through a garden hose.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Grit

Post by Hovannes »

The scrap I used last night was 80 grit Flint. A wee bit aggressive but since I was trying to smooth out a gnarly piece of steel, it did OK.
I could have /should have used a Dremel but I'm a slob.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Grit

Post by jmg »

That's the thing of it. There's philosophy here. A used 120 is honed...suited for more delicate work than in it's earlier stages of life. In its adolescence, it very well may have destroyed a particular piece, but in its latter stages of life, where one might think it too worn to be found of value, it may be of just the right delicacy for the task at hand. A "With age come wisdom" sort of thing.

All that said, 120 is my go-to grit if I could only choose one.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Grit

Post by jmg »

Also...if we are talking eating grits, eat them how you like. But real grits are pretty much equal parts grits and butter topped with salt and pepper. Sugar needs to leave the chat.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Grit

Post by mcommini »

jmg wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 20:50 Also...if we are talking eating grits, eat them how you like. But real grits are pretty much equal parts grits and butter topped with salt and pepper. Sugar needs to leave the chat.
How about leftover grits, the next day, battered and fried and cut into some sticks, drizzled with maple syrup?
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Grit

Post by Hugo Drax »

mcommini wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 08:52
jmg wrote: 26 Aug 2022, 20:50 Also...if we are talking eating grits, eat them how you like. But real grits are pretty much equal parts grits and butter topped with salt and pepper. Sugar needs to leave the chat.
How about leftover grits, the next day, battered and fried and cut into some sticks, drizzled with maple syrup?
I am unfamiliar with the concept of "leftover grits."
Weenies are us.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Grit

Post by mcommini »

Hugo Drax wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 09:16
mcommini wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 08:52
I am unfamiliar with the concept of "leftover grits."
Fair enough. My grandmother was unfamiliar with the concept of "cooking less than enough for everyone to get their fill, and then some."