Removing smoke scent from a room

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

Candles...yankee candles or one of those...or some fabreeze.

I don't smoke indoors at the house, so I don't use it often.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Troubadour wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 12:16 Does anyone have any suggestions?
There are serious answers to this question, but you'll have to be more specific.

Who is complaining? Your landlord? Or that new girl you are just trying to have casual sex with?

Are you talking about cigarette smoke? Pipe tobacco smoke? Pot smoke? Campfire smoke? Smoke damage from a fire in the building?

And how long has the smoke scent been there? Did you just light a cigarette and you don't want mom to find out? Or has someone been chain-smoking in the apartment for years?

Answers range from "open a window" to "rent a smoke remediation ozone generator."
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

Del wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 13:31
There are serious answers to this question, but you'll have to be more specific.

Who is complaining? Your landlord? Or that new girl you are just trying to have casual sex with?

Are you talking about cigarette smoke? Pipe tobacco smoke? Pot smoke? Campfire smoke? Smoke damage from a fire in the building?

And how long has the smoke scent been there? Did you just light a cigarette and you don't want mom to find out? Or has someone been chain-smoking in the apartment for years?

Answers range from "open a window" to "rent a smoke remediation ozone generator."
This is a very well thought out answer Del. Could be as simple as a candle or an open window, or replace carpet and repaint.

I only ever smoked in my office with the door closed, but the smoke lingered. I used a "Pumpkin" Yankee Candle that i really liked. I havent smoked now in 6 years since my illness (Praise God I am still here to miss my pipe so much) and still just every once in a while I catch just a hint of the former aroma of pipe tobacco smoke. Usually when there has been a lot of rain and the humidity is up. I light the candle and let it burn a couple of hours and all is good for quite a while.

I AM surprised that all these years later there is still a faint scent. Eventually we will repaint and recarpet! :-)
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by DLJake »

Smoke Odor Exterminator Candle. Available at every vape / headshop in the USA.

Ozium Spray is perfect if your in-laws are visiting unannounced and you see them pull into the driveway. It'll kill all 'bakky lingering smells and replace it with the overbearing scent of generic Orange cleaning product. As a bonus, it will keep those pesky in-laws at bay. It takes a few minutes to allow for regular breathing in the room you just sprayed. Wait until they ring the bell and just slaughter the entryway. Good chance they won't even get over the threshold.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

Poopouri
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Troubadour wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 03:09
Del wrote: 06 Sep 2022, 13:31

It's a single RV unit, essentially a medium-studio apartment-size living space. It's exclusively pipe smoke, and it's been smoked in for years.
The good news is that we have an old chemistry lab guy on this board. The bad news is that guy is me, so you're gonna get too much information....

Nah, I'll keep it short. You can ask questions if you got them.

DL Jake nailed your best option: Ozium Spray Sanitizer. Should be available everywhere, but I can always find it at the auto parts store.

The spray product is more than an air freshener. Its chemical action locks odors in place. (Ozium also makes air freshener products. Make sure you buy the spray that says "sanitizer.")

Now if you are dead serious about getting rid of every last germ and trace of odor (perhaps you are getting ready to sell the RV), then you can rent a small ozone generator from your local equipment rental store. This will pump out high levels of ozone -- toxic levels -- which will chemically clean the smoke odor out of every nook and cranny.

Run it overnight or over the weekend, then air it out really well. Good as new!
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

Nobody has mentioned replacing the aroma with a stronger aroma.
Cat urine, pickling beets, a pile of high school boy socks, a nice ripe racoon carcass, or a dozen wet golden retrievers would all do the trick.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

joegoat wrote: 08 Sep 2022, 00:33 Nobody has mentioned replacing the aroma with a stronger aroma.
Cat urine, pickling beets, a pile of high school boy socks, a nice ripe racoon carcass, or a dozen wet golden retrievers would all do the trick.
High schoolers hockey gear. Stench like an open grave.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Post by jmg »

Cat litter. I’m not joking. It works exceptionally well if you can actually place the litter onto the surface. Obviously this doesn’t work for walls and ceilings, but floors and furniture it does great. Spread it, leave it for 2-3 days, then vacuum up.

I used it in a car that was given to us on a furlough. It reeked due to a leak in the sunroof and the interior becoming soaking wet and sitting in the hot sun for weeks. After three days, I vacuumed everything up and it smelled like a brand new car.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

jmg wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 11:14 Cat litter. I’m not joking. It works exceptionally well if you can actually place the litter onto the surface. Obviously this doesn’t work for walls and ceilings, but floors and furniture it does great. Spread it, leave it for 2-3 days, then vacuum up.

I used it in a car that was given to us on a furlough. It reeked due to a leak in the sunroof and the interior becoming soaking wet and sitting in the hot sun for weeks. After three days, I vacuumed everything up and it smelled like a brand new car.
Hides the stench of dead bodies too. ... er, just sayin'.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada: