The cigar guy cracked me up

Even cigar smokers are welcome here.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

Bloodhound wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 09:28 I buy 95% from my local B&M. I only purchase stuff online when they don't have it in shop. I have a list with the favorite B&M and they try to get stuff in for me on special order or back on the shelves.

My tiny habit isn't keeping anyone's profit margins up, but I am one of what I hope are hundreds. This is a tough trade...tons to learn and not many to teach and a somewhat demanding customer base.

I just thought it was funny that his idea of great selection and a new tool were humorous. And it didn't stop me from spending the $$ ib the shop.

If I were in Jim's shoes and got pepper sprayed, I am thinking I might have walked out that day with a new gun that I got a deeeep discount on.
You're a good egg, sir. Kids a bit of a huckster and I think he might be good when he stops bs-ing and starts listening.

It's a hard trade and we're grateful beyond the "thank you" you receive.
Weenies are us.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

Bloodhound wrote: 10 Sep 2022, 09:28 I buy 95% from my local B&M. I only purchase stuff online when they don't have it in shop. I have a list with the favorite B&M and they try to get stuff in for me on special order or back on the shelves.

My tiny habit isn't keeping anyone's profit margins up, but I am one of what I hope are hundreds. This is a tough trade...tons to learn and not many to teach and a somewhat demanding customer base.
Yeah, I was doing the same with our local store- and hoping I was one of hundreds (okay, tens, considering local population). Nope. I was one of maybe three or four. Oh well. At least they still carry a decent selection of bulk.
I just thought it was funny that his idea of great selection and a new tool were humorous. And it didn't stop me from spending the $$ ib the shop.
Oh yeah- though a selection of 7 bulk tobaccos ain't bad for a cigar shop. It's about what the local cigar focused store carries (and only 1 of those isn't an aromatic- it is a total lat bomb). I've been to cigar stores that don't carry pipe tobacco at all. And that tool is pretty cool if you've never seen it before- when I was a little one and dad would let me play with his keys, that was the first thing I went for.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

jmg wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 14:21
joegoat wrote: 09 Sep 2022, 12:52 Where have the true tobacconists gone?
Mississippi.
You do have Tobacco Jesus.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

Well the shop that was the focus of this post is in new management phase. They said the former manager/young guy was from the Bong/Water pipe/vaping sales force and didn't lno0w anything about pipes and cigars. He went on to manage a Head Shop in Boulder and they are glad to see him go. The new manager is a guy my age, retired Navy and he is just wanting to stock up on stuff that sells in this community. He said we wanted to shut the doors for a week or two so that he could get things in order, but that idea was nixed, so he is working around being open to try to get it a little more comfortable and focus on what sells not what is cool to have access to for the manager and clerks to say they got to smoke...

The company is convinced that this market will support it. So I will check back in now and then.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD