Pipe Break In

Pipe & Hardware discussions
Del
Usher
Usher

Pipe Break In

Post by Del »

I've always admired the guys who have fun futzing with building up just the right kind of pipe cake.

Now what I love is discovering that my favorite pipe has built up an excessive amount of cake, and getting to scrape it out. For some reason, I find the experience of scraping out lots of carbon black to be very satisfying. I do it outdoors, because it's a delightful mess.

The scoop on a pipe nail works great, but when I feel special I use a Czech tool. It's gotta be a real Czech tool -- the Chinese knock-offs can't take the strain.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Pipe Break In

Post by Hugo Drax »

I also love reaming. It's just so dirty and satisfying to scrape an eighth of an inch out of the bowl.
Weenies are us.
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pipe Break In

Post by SlowToke »

Del wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 18:45 I've always admired the guys who have fun futzing with building up just the right kind of pipe cake.

Now what I love is discovering that my favorite pipe has built up an excessive amount of cake, and getting to scrape it out. For some reason, I find the experience of scraping out lots of carbon black to be very satisfying. I do it outdoors, because it's a delightful mess.

The scoop on a pipe nail works great, but when I feel special I use a Czech tool. It's gotta be a real Czech tool -- the Chinese knock-offs can't take the strain.
+1

I get a very weird satisfaction out of it as well and do it the same as you using a pipe nail or Czech tool.

As for breaking in, put me in the stuff it with tobacco and smoke it group. I stopped futzing a long time ago and just smoke the darn thing.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pipe Break In

Post by MrPiper »

SlowToke wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 11:39
Del wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 18:45 I've always admired the guys who have fun futzing with building up just the right kind of pipe cake.

+1

I get a very weird satisfaction out of it as well and do it the same as you using a pipe nail or Czech tool.

As for breaking in, put me in the stuff it with tobacco and smoke it group. I stopped futzing a long time ago and just smoke the darn thing.
Am I the only one here who found this to be a miserably sour taste? As many here know, I was always a world class Aromatic smoker even! Do you just accept it and go on? It always seemed to take a couple dozen bowls to abate the taste.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Pipe Break In

Post by Jocose »

MrPiper wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 12:12

+1

Am I the only one here who found this to be a miserably sour taste? As many here know, I was always a world class Aromatic smoker even! Do you just accept it and go on? It always seemed to take a couple dozen bowls to abate the taste.
Friends don't let friends smoke aro's (or cOBs)
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pipe Break In

Post by MrPiper »

Jocose wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 12:32

+1

Don't get me banned bro!
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Pipe Break In

Post by Biff »

MrPiper wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 14:04
Jocose wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 12:32
Don't get me banned bro!
Relax - you're good.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Pipe Break In

Post by jmg »

When I was a brand new pipe smoker I tried all the novelty techniques. Never found them to do anything. I say just put your tobacco in it and start puffing.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Pipe Break In

Post by Jocose »

jmg wrote: 09 Oct 2022, 20:54 When I was a brand new pipe smoker I tried all the novelty techniques. Never found them to do anything. I say just put your tobacco in it and start puffing.
+1.6 and 1/8th
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Pipe Break In

Post by sweetandsour »

My traditional break-in, initial smoke, is PA. I'll also smoke a bowl of PA after a severe ream & clean, when the pipe reaches a point where nothing tastes right. It re-zeroes both the pipe, and me.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.