Worship Music

We never get tired of hearing these tales
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Worship Music

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 10:44
mcommini wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 10:23 Incidentally, this is where "Jesus is my boyfriend" songs fail.
This is exactly what worship music should be. Upbeat and dance-able. I can dance to that.
Last edited by FredS on 19 Sep 2022, 10:56, edited 1 time in total.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Worship Music

Post by mcommini »

mcommini wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 10:23 Incidentally, this is where "Jesus is my boyfriend" songs fail.

Thanks, Del. I finally get a Community reference I'd missed.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Worship Music

Post by JimVH »

I want to see someone do for classic hymns what Hendrix did for the Star Spangled Banner.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Worship Music

Post by FredS »

JimVH wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 11:00 I want to see someone do for classic hymns what Hendrix did for the Star Spangled Banner.
This guy is sort of Hendrix-esque. At least similar to his version of the national anthem.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Worship Music

Post by mcommini »

FredS wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 07:06 Even though I know that CPS does what CPS does, I'd hoped this thread wouldn't turn into a "I hate 'contemporary' worship music" thread. Those always go bad. Then again, I suppose strongly disliking one form/genre or another is sort of my point. The music matters to us. Excepting Jim Van Halen, I think we're wired to appreciate music as much as sunrises. The good ones move us. Just like they move Him.
And a re-reply here- it's not always the new songs that are bad. There are times I think half the reason I went with more Catholic forms of Christianity after my Southern Baptist upbringing is just so I never, ever, have to hear "Just As I Am" played for the 15th time in a row again just because no one came down for the altar call. Oh, the number of times I "rededicated my life to Jesus" just to get it to STOP.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Worship Music

Post by JimVH »

FredS wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 11:18
JimVH wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 11:00 I want to see someone do for classic hymns what Hendrix did for the Star Spangled Banner.
This guy is sort of Hendrix-esque. At least similar to his version of the national anthem.
Yep, pretty cool.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Worship Music

Post by FredS »

JimVH wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 12:33
Yep, pretty cool.
This sort of circles back around to my OP. There's a ton of vids out there of guitar players playing Amazing Grace. Even a few by Slash. EVERYONE knows that song. It never leaves them. It takes them back to a different time. Or maybe it gives them comfort. Or reminds them of grandma. Whatever. It does something other than make them tap their toes.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Worship Music

Post by mcommini »

FredS wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 13:12
JimVH wrote: 19 Sep 2022, 12:33
Yep, pretty cool.
This sort of circles back around to my OP. There's a ton of vids out there of guitar players playing Amazing Grace. Even a few by Slash. EVERYONE knows that song. It never leaves them. It takes them back to a different time. Or maybe it gives them comfort. Or reminds them of grandma. Whatever. It does something other than make them tap their toes.
Its funny you should mention that, as it recalls an experience I had that has echoed with me as I've gone through this thread. It's a story of two funerals:

Grandpa passed in 2013. His funeral was held at his church, his pastor led the service, the choir he sang with every Sunday led the hymns. And though I hadn't set foot in a Southern Baptist or evangelical church in at least a decade before that, the hymns they sang were the hymns Grandpa sang (and sang quite well- I've got the last box of an album of hymns he'd recorded in the '70s sitting on my bookshelf. And I just remembered, you can judge for yourself: https://soundcloud.com/michaelangelocommini ). The hymns they sang were the hymns I grew up singing, and though I don't worship with them anymore (the theology in them is quite clear- it's just I've come to believe it's a wrong theology in many points), I was still able to participate and feel a communion with Grandpa.

His wife passed away a year later. Grandma's funeral was in the funeral home. My uncle's pastor led the service, as Grandma's health kept her from attending church for a while and she hadn't been a member at Grandpa's (like good Baptists they changed churches every decade or so). The choir from his church sang to mp3 instrumental accompaniment tracks. And yeah, that sure was something. I couldn't tell you word one of any of the lyrics. They were songs I'd never heard before and I'm sure I will never hear again.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Worship Music

Post by joegoat »

There's a classic. This one hits the nail on the head for me though.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Del
Usher
Usher

Worship Music

Post by Del »

Lots of great bits out there, mocking Evangelical praise & worship songs....

But for really bad church music, you gotta visit a suburban Catholic parish that still uses that awful and ubiquitous Gather Hymnal, with all the Hated Hits of Haugen and Haas.

Accompanied by a piano player.