Worship Music

We never get tired of hearing these tales
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Worship Music

Post by FredS »

I used to think I was a *bad Christian because the music at Church matters so much to me. All things being equal, music is the deciding factor for me. The reason I felt weird about that is because, my whole life, I've been told it's not about me. It's about God. Worshiping God. As if I should enter, worship, and leave without a single emotion of my own. Now I know that's nonsense - He hardwired us for music.
That's why this is true:

*I'm probably still a bad Christian but I don't beat myself up over the music anymore.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Worship Music

Post by Hugo Drax »

FredS wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:21 I used to think I was a *bad Christian because the music at Church matters so much to me. All things being equal, music is the deciding factor for me. The reason I felt weird about that is because, my whole life, I've been told it's not about me. It's about God. Worshiping God. As if I should enter, worship, and leave without a single emotion of my own. Now I know that's nonsense - He hardwired us for music.
That's why this is true:

*I'm probably still a bad Christian but I don't beat myself up over the music anymore.
Never trust a man that thinks he's a good Christian, sir.
Weenies are us.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Worship Music

Post by tuttle »

FredS wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:21 my whole life, I've been told it's not about me. It's about God. Worshiping God. As if I should enter, worship, and leave without a single emotion of my own.
I think there are many of us who have been told that. And while there are truths to be pulled out of that, I think it's mostly been used as a club against people in order to justify crappy music.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Del
Usher
Usher

Worship Music

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 12:47
FredS wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 11:21 *I'm probably still a bad Christian but I don't beat myself up over the music anymore.
Never trust a man that thinks he's a good Christian, sir.
Wise guys with wisdom! This is why I love CPS.

On topic:

Top two reasons why a generation of Catholics stopped going to Mass: The lack of reverence and the music.

Top two reasons why devotion to the Traditional Latin Mass is growing so fast among young adult Catholics: The reverence and the music.
========================

I think a lot of bad worship music is caused by fear of silence.

We end up with a piano banger and an awful microphone singer at every worship because our pastors are afraid of silence.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Worship Music

Post by coco »

I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Worship Music

Post by JimVH »

coco wrote: 15 Sep 2022, 17:14
It never gets old.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Hugo Drax

Worship Music

Post by Hugo Drax »

Drives me nuts. I love Christ with all I have and I'm always torn...on the one hand, I play a few instruments well and was blessed with perfect pitch. On the other, I cannot carry a tune in a bucket. I can hear that I'm off but cannot hit the correct notes with my singing voice and therefore I do not sing. I choose to vibrate instead.
Weenies are us.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Worship Music

Post by JimVH »

I'm wired opposite. There are private moments that music moves me deeply, but during a service, the music is usually just something I have to impatiently endure in order to get to the sermon. It always seemed weird that worship music doesn't have a huge emotional effect on me when other music does.

That'll get you called a bad Christian, too.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Worship Music

Post by joegoat »

I'm not a fan of modern worship music. My personal preference is reverence and meaning at every step we take closer toward the altar.
Repeating the same three lines four dozen times, with a line of ahhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh ahhhhh in-between just doesn't do it.
Worship songs should have verses filled with truth. The music is only there to carry the words along. The words should be a prayer. Repetition holds a place in worship, but when coupled with music I feel that modern worship songs makes our feet begin to tap before we begin to worship.
Just my two cents.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Worship Music

Post by jmg »

This is not my favorite version of this song, but it's one of the most moving/convicting songs for me. I often have a hard time finishing singing it when I play it on the guitar. It's a powerfully moving message.

"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden