What are you Teaching / Preaching this week?

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

My class has arrived at Luke 12

The most difficult verse for many is 10 regarding blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Dr. McArthur says this was a unique time and that this "unpardonable sin" could only be committed in the presence of Christ, by ascribing His work (by the power of the Holy Spirit) to be that of Satan. This alluded to the sins of presumption in the Mosaic law that resulted in no mercy, but rather the death penalty. Here Jesus was clarifying that to attribute His work to Satan resulted in the ETERNAL death penalty.

Most expositors in the protestant realm tend to move toward this "unpardonable sin" being to die in rejection of Christ resulting in eternal lostness in Hell. All forgiveness opportunity ends with death.

Both MAY be true. Perhaps in that time of Christ, He being God, chose to offer no hope of salvation to those who opposed the Spirit of God and claimed His work to be that of Satan. Certainly that could be His prerogative as ultimately, even in salvation, He does the calling, our only portion is to accept / receive that gift offered freely. A solid Calvinist wold even say that we can not even exercise the faith to receive the gift lest He give that to us. As God said, "I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy." This leads to the concept of election.

Regarding that electoral salvation, I ascribe to D.L. Moody's quote, (Paraphrased) "The "Elect" are the "Whosoever Wills" and the "Non Elect" are the "Whosoever Wants."" Our job is not to determine salvation, but to preach the Gospel as ordered, and trust God to be sovereign,
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

- Mark 1:29-45

- Homiletics: Illustration and Application
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

MrPiper wrote: 08 Oct 2022, 07:50 Most expositors in the protestant realm tend to move toward this "unpardonable sin" being to die in rejection of Christ resulting in eternal lostness in Hell. All forgiveness opportunity ends with death.
Calvin, of course, has no special authority. He can comment as he wishes, and we can discern whether or not his commentary has any wisdom. I'm not much impressed with his commentary on salvation, as I firmly believe that Jesus died for each and every one of us -- and God desires every single sinner to repent and turn our hearts to Him. God's grace (the gift of relationship with Him) is offered to every sinner as forgiveness for our sins. The only thing that God asks is that we freely choose to accept the gift; He does not force Himself upon us.

So I agree with "most expositors in the Protestant realm." The only sin that God cannot forgive is "Final Impenitence." Those who have hardened their hearts by lives of habitual sin won't have the strength of will to accept purification. It's just too hard to quit living for oneself and desire to live for God alone.

In confession once, a priest gave me a great bit of wisdom. I share it with anyone who is concerned with assurance of salvation and dread of sin (and especially my Evangelical friends, who can't stop talking about "salvation"):

Any Christian with an active life of prayer should feel confident in his salvation.... because prayer is "relationship with God," and salvation is "relationship with God," so prayer is practicing for the final judgment. As St. Paul says, "(train and) run the race so to win the prize."

Sin is always a problem for our fallen nature, but an active life of prayer is the best antidote to temptation and sin. Prayer fills the space in our lives and souls. At the very least, a minute spent talking with God is one less minute that is spent indulging thoughts of temptation.

And then at the final judgment, Jesus will ask: "Are you ready to put aside those bad habits and enjoy eternity serving Me with the angels and the saints?"
We can answer, "Jesus, Lord. I am at your service! I have practiced all my life for this."
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by SlowToke »

I'm teaching a group of internal medicine doctors how to place internal jugular CVC's. I try not to preach to them except maybe to use sutureless securement. :lol:
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

Yes Del... ultimately this!

Jesus died for each and every one of us -- and God desires every single sinner to repent and turn our hearts to Him. God's grace (the gift of relationship with Him) is offered to every sinner as forgiveness for our sins. The only thing that God asks is that we freely choose to accept the gift; He does not force Himself upon us.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

Luke 14 today. Do you love Jesus so much that to compare that to the love of one's own family would seem as hate. Are you focused on legality or grace? This is emphasized by Jesus healing (again) on the Sabbath and pointing out that the Jewish law prohibiting this was ridiculous. They cared more about their legalism and dogma than the people they were charged to minister to!

It's GRACE not WORKS! if we could earn heaven, we wouldn't need Jesus.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Genesis 49:1-27 Jacob's blessings
Mark 2:18-22 New/old wineskins
Homiletics: Listening to students teach and then judging them harshly

Just kidding.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

coco wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 11:05 Genesis 49:1-27 Jacob's blessings
Mark 2:18-22 New/old wineskins
Homiletics: Listening to students teach and then judging them harshly

Just kidding.
Which part is just kidding? :-)
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

I preached on Ephesians 1:3-14.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

This holy day is dedicated to Mary, Mother of God.

At least, that's what we call it now. Of old, it was celebrated as "The Purification of Mary".... in accord with Jewish law, a new mother performed a ritual bath of purification (mikveh) on the eighth day of her child's birth.

I have no idea how the secular reckoning of "New Year" came to be attached to this holy day. (Ancient Romans began their year in March, for example. That's why September, October, November, December are the 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th months.) All I know is that this holy day dedicated to Mary is as old as the Christian celebration of Christmas. Much older than the secular calendar which later became attached to our liturgical calendar.

I am curious how Eastern Christians reckon modern Jan 1 in their ancient liturgical calendar, if at all. And what do the Orthodox do with the Octave Day of Christmas? I would expect that they also honor the Theotokos on that day.
====================================

Our pastor talked about Mary and her place in salvation history, and in our present salvation.

He also talked about the Epiphany Vigil coming up. We have big, BIG plans for that.... Jan 5 is the Vigil.