What are you Teaching / Preaching this week?

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

1 Corinthians 15: 25-28. I'd like to see ya'll's explanation(s) for this one.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
sweetandsour wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 20:38 1 Corinthians 15: 25-28. I'd like to see ya'll's explanation(s) for this one.

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 15 Jan 2023, 20:38 1 Corinthians 15: 25-28. I'd like to see ya'll's explanation(s) for this one.
25 For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death. 27 For he “has put everything under his feet.”[a] Now when it says that “everything” has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. 28 When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all.

[a] Psalm 8:6
If the audience is a bunch of Baptists of Calvinist tradition, pastor could simply say, "God is Sovereign." The listeners can happily rest in this mantra.

Verse 28.... I can tell that the translator struggled a bit with the Latin and Greek tenses and adverbial phrases. Christ is King of heaven and earth.... When the Father put everything "under Christ's feet," we remember that Christ Himself was the willing servant of the Father. The same Christ who prayed in the Garden, "Not my will, but Thy will be done." Christ reigns over all for the will of the Father.

There is some pithy wisdom in verse 26. Paul preached often about the Resurrection of the Dead. We tend to forget that Heaven itself is only temporary.

There will be a Resurrection of the Dead. Our bodies will be rejoined to our souls as God made us. There will be a general judgment; all of our sins and secrets and virtues will be revealed for all to see. And then there will be a New Heaven and a New Earth. There will be no more death (as Death was not God's original plan for us as He made Adam in the Garden), and that will be our eternity.
Last edited by Del on 17 Jan 2023, 07:43, edited 1 time in total.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Del wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 11:09If the audience is a bunch of Baptists of Calvinist tradition, pastor could simply say, "God is Sovereign." The listeners can happily rest in this mantra...
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

coco wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 12:55
Del wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 11:09If the audience is a bunch of Baptists of Calvinist tradition, pastor could simply say, "God is Sovereign." The listeners can happily rest in this mantra...
But it wouldn't be wrong! That's a "God is Sovereign" passage if there ever was one (and there are plenty).
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Del wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 14:00
But it wouldn't be wrong! That's a "God is Sovereign" passage if there ever was one (and there are plenty).
I was going to give a serious answer, but that .gif was too funny.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

coco wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 15:20
Well played!
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

coco wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 15:20
Del wrote: 16 Jan 2023, 14:00
Obviously I need to stop asking questions on here.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 07:29 Obviously I need to stop asking questions on here.
Then no one would have any fun.
jruegg
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by jruegg »

Matthew 8:1-22.

MAIN THEME -- How To Follow Jesus and What That Takes (costs)

SERMON POINTS:

WHAT IT TAKES TO FOLLOW JESUS:
1. Am I willing to take RISKS to follow Jesus? (Man with Leprosy took a great risk. Jesus took a risk [Phil. 2].)
“Suddenly, a man with leprosy approached him and knelt before him. “Lord,” the man said, “if you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean.” — Matthew 8:2 (NLT)

2. Am I willing to get HUMBLE to follow Jesus? (Roman officer got humble. Jesus humbled himself [Phil. 2].)
“When Jesus returned to Capernaum, a Roman officer came and pleaded with him,  “Lord, my young servant lies in bed, paralyzed and in terrible pain.” Jesus said, “I will come and heal him.” But the officer said, “Lord, I am not worthy to have you come into my home. Just say the word from where you are, and my servant will be healed.” — Matthew 8:5-8 (NLT)

3. Am I willing to SERVE to follow Jesus? (Peter's mother-in-law served Jesus. Jesus served [Phil. 2].)
“When Jesus arrived at Peter’s house, Peter’s mother-in-law was sick in bed with a high fever.  But when Jesus touched her hand, the fever left her. Then she got up and prepared a meal for him.” — Matthew 8:14-15 (NLT)

WHAT IT COSTS TO FOLLOW JESUS:
1. Am I willing to LIVE like Jesus? (Following Jesus requires us to live like Jesus did. This can sometimes/often cost us physical comfort)
“When Jesus saw the crowd around him, he instructed his disciples to cross to the other side of the lake. Then one of the teachers of religious law said to him, “Teacher, I will follow you wherever you go.” But Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens to live in, and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place even to lay his head.” —Matthew 8:18-20 (NLT)

2. Am I willing to LIVE for Jesus? (Following Jesus requires surrendering our entire being to His Lordship. This can sometimes/often cost us our priorities (what we think is important), even when those things are Biblically ethical on the surface but have become idols in our hearts and, therefore, keep us from living solely for Jesus.)
“Another of his disciples said, ‘Lord, first let me return home and bury my father.’ But Jesus told him, ‘Follow me now. Let the spiritually dead bury their own dead.’” — Matthew 8:21-22 (NLT)