Cannonball?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by sweetandsour »

Any US Civil War buffs on here? If so, could this be a cannonball? If my suspicions are correct and it is a cannonball, then it's already been shot, and has done it's damage. It's roughly 5" diameter, and weighs ~18 lbs. It has a small indentation, and also a small raised area, circular in shape.
IMG_20221017_110607645.jpg
IMG_20221017_110607645.jpg (5.7 MiB) Viewed 600 times
IMG_20221017_101532178.jpg
IMG_20221017_101532178.jpg (5.76 MiB) Viewed 600 times
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Cannonball?

Post by joegoat »

I'm no buff, but the patina looks right. Did you find it in the ground or elsewhere?
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Cannonball?

Post by Hovannes »

That flat spot makes me suspect it's a milling ball
Cannonballs would be near perfect spheres as they came from the factory.
Where'd you find it? An industrial town or on a battlefield?
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by sweetandsour »

I picked it up In a small barn, behind a relative's house. All that lived there have now passed, and the house and grounds are being emptied, and readied to be sold. I have reason to believe that it's a spent cannonball, but the small hump on it puzzles me. I thought mill ball also, but those are supposed to be perfectly round as well. I can't think of what else it could be.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Cannonball?

Post by FredS »

At first glance I thought it was a kettlebell with the handle broken off (the raised area), but google shows it should have two raised areas where the handle would have joined the body if that were the case. Seems to me that a protrusion like that might cause a jammed barrel. Not good. So, I say it's an ore crushing mill ball and the raised area is where the casting sprue was broken off. If it was never used or used sparingly, that raised are won't be worn off. I think the indent is from it dropping from the mold while still hot. Google shows plenty of pictures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ore+cru ... =899&dpr=1
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by Jocose »

Shot put
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by sweetandsour »

FredS wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 06:30 At first glance I thought it was a kettlebell with the handle broken off (the raised area), but google shows it should have two raised areas where the handle would have joined the body if that were the case. Seems to me that a protrusion like that might cause a jammed barrel. Not good. So, I say it's an ore crushing mill ball and the raised area is where the casting sprue was broken off. If it was never used or used sparingly, that raised are won't be worn off. I think the indent is from it dropping from the mold while still hot. Google shows plenty of pictures.

This is the best explanation I've seen so far. In my short 4-yr experience working at a cement manufacturing plant (Alpha Portland Cement Co.), I don't recall seeing a crushing/grinding ball that large (5" dia.), but of course my experience is limited, and it was many years ago. I read somewhere about mortar rounds with indentations so that they could easily be picked up with tongs, as well as to facilitate stacking. But I agree with you, and like I said earlier, it's the round protrusion that's a mystery to me. It's likely a discarded crushing ball that didn't get used. Why and how my cousin came by it, I'll never know.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Cannonball?

Post by Hugo Drax »

sweetandsour wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:20
FredS wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 06:30 At first glance I thought it was a kettlebell with the handle broken off (the raised area), but google shows it should have two raised areas where the handle would have joined the body if that were the case. Seems to me that a protrusion like that might cause a jammed barrel. Not good. So, I say it's an ore crushing mill ball and the raised area is where the casting sprue was broken off. If it was never used or used sparingly, that raised are won't be worn off. I think the indent is from it dropping from the mold while still hot. Google shows plenty of pictures.

This is the best explanation I've seen so far. In my short 4-yr experience working at a cement manufacturing plant (Alpha Portland Cement Co.), I don't recall seeing a crushing/grinding ball that large (5" dia.), but of course my experience is limited, and it was many years ago. I read somewhere about mortar rounds with indentations so that they could easily be picked up with tongs, as well as to facilitate stacking. But I agree with you, and like I said earlier, it's the round protrusion that's a mystery to me. It's likely a discarded crushing ball that didn't get used. Why and how my cousin came by it, I'll never know.
I think Fred hit the nail on the head. It's not hollow, is it?
Weenies are us.
Del
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by Del »

Industrial paperweight.

That dent on the bottom keeps it from rolling off the workbench.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Cannonball?

Post by sweetandsour »

Hugo Drax wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:26
sweetandsour wrote: 18 Oct 2022, 07:20

I think Fred hit the nail on the head. It's not hollow, is it?
No, it's not hollow. It weighs 16 lbs, per our bathroom scales.